Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JNB A350 Now Scheduled

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2021, 7:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Possibly they’re planning to start payload restricted, which makes sense with the slower return of international travel.
Yellowjj likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Possibly they’re planning to start payload restricted, which makes sense with the slower return of international travel.
That plus the South Africa travel ban and the Beta variant of Covid in circulation there, should do the trick nicely on curbing demand.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
That plus the South Africa travel ban and the Beta variant of Covid in circulation there, should do the trick nicely on curbing demand.
I've flown to JNB couple times last few months. While not full, the planes are nowhere near as empty as you'd think. ZA has been one of the few countries open for tourism for months.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Lucky just posted an article and cited a DOT filing stating this was a done deal. No more CPT stop.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/delt...-town-flights/
N830MH and HohoGAP like this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 2:15 pm

The answer is simple
UNITED AIRLINES FLIGHT UA 187/188
DAILY FLIGHT FROM JNB TO EWR AND VICE VERSA

​​​​​​why would anyone from jnb want to fly to the USA via cpt /stop in cpt
This would add apreox 2hr of flying time and 1h45 mins on ground making it 3h45 and making the total flight time from approx 15hrs to 18hrs 45
People would rather choose united non-stop

Also jnb is a year round destination with higher yields and better connections tions from southern africa whereas cape Town is seasonal so to to gain market share or to maintain their market making non stop from jnb would be better and customers won't switch to united
Old Jun 19, 2021, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I've flown to JNB couple times last few months. While not full, the planes are nowhere near as empty as you'd think. ZA has been one of the few countries open for tourism for months.
Yes but you've connected in Europe to get there right? So theoretically the flights will be fuller due to the vast amount of people who can begin/connect through Europe to get to JNB. A non-stop from the US is only going to be good for Americans as South Africa is on the ban list for re-entering the country, for any non-citizen.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Yes but you've connected in Europe to get there right? So theoretically the flights will be fuller due to the vast amount of people who can begin/connect through Europe to get to JNB. A non-stop from the US is only going to be good for Americans as South Africa is on the ban list for re-entering the country, for any non-citizen.
Most the people on the CDG/JNB flights I was on were from US. France was restricting people leaving the EU (via FRANCE) at the time. Also a lot of countries in EU were restricting travel to/from ZA due to variant.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Booflyer1
The answer is simple
UNITED AIRLINES FLIGHT UA 187/188
DAILY FLIGHT FROM JNB TO EWR AND VICE VERSA

​​​​​​why would anyone from jnb want to fly to the USA via cpt /stop in cpt
This would add apreox 2hr of flying time and 1h45 mins on ground making it 3h45 and making the total flight time from approx 15hrs to 18hrs 45
People would rather choose united non-stop

Also jnb is a year round destination with higher yields and better connections tions from southern africa whereas cape Town is seasonal so to to gain market share or to maintain their market making non stop from jnb would be better and customers won't switch to united
It was originally planned this way because DL A359s didn't have capabilities to fly JNB-ATL nonstop. When DL flew 777s on this route a couple flights each year would need to make stop at JFK even. JNB is high airport and distance is long.

Apparently DL was able to get A359s with needed capabilities sooner than originally planned.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Called Delta about our November trip DCA-ATL-CPT. They offered to book me on DL metal to AMS and KL to CPT. Need to run some MQD and MQM scenarios to make sure DM will still work out by the end of the year.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
The updated schedules have been loaded and available for booking; JNB-ATL is now back to a nonstop at 16h20 mins starting Aug 2
HohoGAP likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 3:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I was so hoping for the addition of CPT to the route map again. Connecting to another carrier at JNB sucks, as does connecting onto a joint venture partner through Europe. If JNB demand ever reaches the level it was once at, I personally think the case could be made for thrice weekly seasonal ATL-JNB-CPT routing, or perhaps even ATL-CPT-ATL.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I was so hoping for the addition of CPT to the route map again. Connecting to another carrier at JNB sucks, as does connecting onto a joint venture partner through Europe. If JNB demand ever reaches the level it was once at, I personally think the case could be made for thrice weekly seasonal ATL-JNB-CPT routing, or perhaps even ATL-CPT-ATL.
With UA planning to fly EWR-CPT, just don't see ATL-CPT happening. EWR-JNB has been empty, hard to justify yet another ZA flight.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Delete
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
The updated schedules have been loaded and available for booking; JNB-ATL is now back to a nonstop at 16h20 mins starting Aug 2
16hrs20mins? Is that with the trademark DL-schedule padding? If so, how are they shaving so much time? Last time I flew the route, the flight was 17hr45min.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by eneq
16hrs20mins? Is that with the trademark DL-schedule padding? If so, how are they shaving so much time? Last time I flew the route, the flight was 17hr45min.
What time of year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.