Wiki Posts
Search

Flying to the UK - no flights on DL?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Flying to the UK - no flights on DL?

Looks like there's no options on DL metal to the UK (LHR or MAN) in July from my local airports (SNA or even LAX)? All are KL or AF.

I wanted to book DL and use a GUC for social distancing reasons (and comfort of course!). What's the chance of either KL or AF honoring that? I have had success with VS before but they are not flying either. I guess the current 14 day quarantine is one of the reasons for this, but is this the shape of things these days?

I have not flown since January this year - this is a non-buisiness trip I have to make.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:40 am
Formerly known as scootr29

I am showing direct flights from ATL to LHR...connect in ATL?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tanglin
Looks like there's no options on DL metal to the UK (LHR or MAN) in July from my local airports (SNA or even LAX)? All are KL or AF.

I wanted to book DL and use a GUC for social distancing reasons (and comfort of course!). What's the chance of either KL or AF honoring that? I have had success with VS before but they are not flying either. I guess the current 14 day quarantine is one of the reasons for this, but is this the shape of things these days?

I have not flown since January this year - this is a non-buisiness trip I have to make.
You can use GUCs on AF (TATL segments only IIRC) and/or KLM but there are fare class restrictions that you can read in the T&Cs for the GUCs in your account on delta.dumb. You have to call DL but it can help to be aware of the precise rules and possibilities before calling (but we cannot see upgrade space and must call to check availability anyway). There are also rules about when AF and KLM upgrades need to be confirmed; IIRC you can use them at the airport in AMS but not CDG. Be sure to check the type of seat and configuration on the KLM and DL flights and whether AF and KLM are currently blocking middle/neighboring seats on intraEU flights.

Check what DL routes are currently being operated to LHR and try to force a "connection" using multicity to see what might be available. A good DL phone agent (or real live human travel agent) might be able to put the segments you want together on a single ticket using a through fare (assuming the correct fare class availability) if you have a legal routing, noting that a connection (versus a stopover) can be up to 24 hours on an international itinerary.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can get to LHR on DL metal via either DTW or ATL in July. DTW flights operate Tue/Thu/Sat and ATL ones operate Sun/Mon/Wed/Fri. There may be dates where there is no booking availability (you should have better luck out of LAX than SNA as there are no SNA-DTW non-stops). The non-stop's have availability every day. It' s possible to upgrade DL-marketed and KL or VS-operated V class fares with a GUC. I might be a bit leary about booking VS metal. For every other combination of carriers, you'll need higher fare classes (YBM or Premium Economy/Premium Select fares). See GUC Additional T&C section here -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Dates -- flying to the UK is pretty limited because of the 14 day quarantine being imposed effective next Monday. https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-52544307
I had 2 pet sits in the UK, July 6-August 6 and the hosts of both have cancelled (I think as much because they've cancelled their own travel plans) and because I'd be very limited on walking the dogs.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Thanks all. I had tried several dates all of which did not match days DL was flying on. A flexible days search did the job.

As expected lots of D1 availability. Coach from around $1300.

The 14 day self quarantine is a bummer but I can manage that, will be staying in mom's empty house. I might actually wait until August, even more availability hopefully if quarantine is on, and if it isn't then more convenient for me.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah I would not expect much for flights due to the already existing travel restrictions, and now the 14 day quarantine. Thats pretty much going to kill any chance of additional flights to the UK for the summer.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SSF556
I am showing direct flights from ATL to LHR...connect in ATL?
Yes and JFK or BOS, as well.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Delta is not flying BOS-LHR currently. It appears on the August schedule since they haven't cut yet, but there aren't any for July. VS shows operating later in July but I think that may be because they haven't loaded cuts yet either.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL DM
Virgin Atlantic is resuming flights to LAX and JFK fom LHR on July 21st. They are starting LHR-MCO flights on July 20th. You can use your GUC with them.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bsagator
Virgin Atlantic is resuming flights to LAX and JFK fom LHR on July 21st. They are starting LHR-MCO flights on July 20th. You can use your GUC with them.
MCO has been lobbying to get a LHR flight for years. Strange that it took a global pandemic for it to finally happen.
bsagator and SUPERTRAVEL like this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
MCO has been lobbying to get a LHR flight for years. Strange that it took a global pandemic for it to finally happen.
Maybe the pandemic is causing people to be willing to pay more for a nonstop.
trooper likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe the pandemic is causing people to be willing to pay more for a nonstop.
Virgin Atlantic would sometimes bring 4x 744 into MCO, and they ended their Gatwick flying, so only natural to bring back an MCO flight from LHR since Disney World reopens next month.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:32 pm

OK, DL has unused aircraft that can make the TATL trip, but yields tend to be low on mouse routes. Willingness to pay just doesn't compare to many other (TATL) that otherwise might be equivalent, perhaps because families are traveling and if one or two adults greatly benefit from extra space, for example, they might not want to pay for that space for every kid too. There will be lots of package deals and discount tickets purchased through OLTAs, while if prices aren't perceived to be cheap enough, folks will think about a different location for their vacation. Just because there are customers doesn't mean that DL should serve the route.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by bsagator
Virgin Atlantic would sometimes bring 4x 744 into MCO, and they ended their Gatwick flying, so only natural to bring back an MCO flight from LHR since Disney World reopens next month.
I recall at one point VS having 8-10 747 in their fleet and seeing 4 or 5 in MCO and thinking "wow, half of the VS 747 fleet is in MCO."

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...perhaps because families are traveling and if one or two adults greatly benefit from extra space, for example, they might not want to pay for that space for every kid too...
Twice we surprised our kids on a family vacation with a pair seats in J. The kids were very surprised to learn that Mrs. Vinnmann and I were in J and they were in the back. There was great amounts of grumbling and gnashing of teeth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.