Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Bulkhead or curtain on 737-900 ER seats 10ABC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2020, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles

I'm doing a cross country move with my family of five (DTW to SJC) and trying to play tetris to minimize COVID exposure. I'm pretty sure the flight will be nonstop on a 737-900ER.

I thought flying first class and taking the last row 5ABCD (www.delta.com/us/en/aircraft/boeing/737-900er) would at least prevent the people behind from sneezing on us. 5C and 5D are obviously fine: I can see that there's a coat closet / bulkhead.

Does anyone know if there is a floor-to-ceiling bulkhead between 10ABC and 5AB? I found this thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...37-900-er.html) which seems to indicate it's more of a curtain. But Googling around, I can't find much information either way.

I'd also appreciate any advice on how to all sit. My wife and I are in our 30s, we have a 2-year old toddler (who will sit in a car seat), and my parents who are about 70 and have the highest risk. I was imagining minimizing the "perimeter" of the shape we make, which will be to take seats 5ABCD and 4D? Any reason to try a different configuration?

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its not even a curtain... its a small plastic 'divider' that hangs down a foot from the overhead bin and doesn't go past the headrest.

In general, the 739 is agreed to be the most uncomfortable of the domestic mainline planes that DL uses.
Spiff, ryw, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
The ABC side is much preferred to the other side behind the closet.

Keep in mind there are airbags in the seat belts in that row.
Old May 26, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
When are you planning on flying? The DTW-SJC nonstop has been cancelled through the end of July so far, and I wouldn't count on it restarting as scheduled in August.
Old May 26, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
My biggest concern is always situations in which someone behind you coughs or sneezes, as if they don't cover it comes straight for you.....I try to avoid sitting immediately next to someone and if I can find a way to not have someone behind me (which is hard) I attempt to do that as well. Just my two cents worth.
Old May 26, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by lucycan
The ABC side is much preferred to the other side behind the closet.

Keep in mind there are airbags in the seat belts in that row.
both true, but both totally irrelevant to OP who specifically stated he is looking at Rows 4 and 5

Originally Posted by stuyguy641
... I was imagining minimizing the "perimeter" of the shape we make, which will be to take seats 5ABCD and 4D? Any reason to try a different configuration?
I'd actually go for 5CD, 4CD, and 3D ... that way no unknown people are directly behind any of you
stuyguy641 and Intl359Widget like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
In general, the 739 is agreed to be the most uncomfortable of the domestic mainline planes that DL uses.
This is just the fact of the 739 at this point. Would love to see DL dump these sardine cans.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by cmd320
This is just the fact of the 739 at this point. Would love to see DL dump these sardine cans.
I love the A321s for domestic
Old May 26, 2020, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I love the A321s for domestic
Definitely my #2 behind the 757. I prefer the 2L boarding, the A321 just always seems like it takes forever to board/deplane also.
AANYC1981 and Fly2Connect like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:59 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Definitely my #2 behind the 757. I prefer the 2L boarding, the A321 just always seems like it takes forever to board/deplane also.
I really wish Boeing didn't kill the 757 program... a re engined 757 would be great... everything about that plane is great except for it's fuel consumption...
cmd320 and ryw like this.
Old May 27, 2020, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by doc4science
I really wish Boeing didn't kill the 757 program... a re engined 757 would be great... everything about that plane is great except for it's fuel consumption...
Boeing didn’t kill the 757, the airlines did.
Old May 27, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'd actually go for 5CD, 4CD, and 3D ... that way no unknown people are directly behind any of you
This is what I was thinking too. Put the grandparents in 5CD so they have a bulkhead behind and family members in front.
Old May 27, 2020, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Oof! We'll definitely flying on the starboard side then to get some sneeze protection. Now I'm thinking 3D, 4CD, 5CD, again to minimize the perimeter.

I managed to find a YouTube video on the plastic divider. Yeesh, it's barely anything!

Re: comfort: yeah. I used fly that route all the time for work pre-covid. It's an awful cramped flight with no AC. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old May 27, 2020, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Good to know! You're right - they seem to be cancelled in July but it looks like I can buy tickets for the end of August when we're planning to move though.
Old May 27, 2020, 8:28 am
Original Poster

My thoughts exactly. We considered 1ABCD and 2A, but with the bathroom location, I think more people would be walking past us compared to being in rows 4 and 5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.