Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by bgasser
Only heard one case where they did that with a fool who was posting pics of himself at the beach on social media rather than quarantining as required.
Might be a case of media sensation then.

Good news for air travel: TSA numbers in the past week are still trending upwards after the July 4th holidays. Now consistently above 25% of last year's numbers. https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput

Bad news: Bookings continue to trend downwards, although there's some evidence that people are booking leisure travel closer to departure.

Last edited by ab2013; Jul 13, 2020 at 9:02 am
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Looks like the 753 is back on ATL-MCO-ATL. Haven't see one of those in a while.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320
Yeah the 753 used to be a regular at MCO about 2-3 years ago. MCO-DTW was almost exclusively 753 and there were usually a few on ATL-MCO. The last two years, I haven’t seen any 753s out of MCO. Nice to see them back as they still have a full F cabin left of 2L where the 752 doesn’t.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Yeah the 753 used to be a regular at MCO about 2-3 years ago. MCO-DTW was almost exclusively 753 and there were usually a few on ATL-MCO. The last two years, I haven’t seen any 753s out of MCO. ...
what would FT be without the counterexample? I flew DTW-MCO on a 753 last Oct, and in fact there was a choice of two nonstops that morning
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Yeah the 753 used to be a regular at MCO about 2-3 years ago. MCO-DTW was almost exclusively 753 and there were usually a few on ATL-MCO. The last two years, I haven’t seen any 753s out of MCO. Nice to see them back as they still have a full F cabin left of 2L where the 752 doesn’t.
Agreed, I love the full F cabin, miss it quite a lot on the 752.

Originally Posted by jrl767
what would FT be without the counterexample? I flew DTW-MCO on a 753 last Oct, and in fact there was a choice of two nonstops that morning
I don’t doubt it, but compared with what it was pre-2016ish there were nowhere near as many. MCO-ATL was basically 50/50 752/3 at that time, and almost all MCO-DTW/MSP were 753s also.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
12 of the 16 753s are now back in service. It looks like they have been scheduled mostly on routes out of ATL (to SLC, SAN, MCO, JAX, FLL, TPA, SEA).
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Last I checked ATL-JAX was getting a couple 753s too, JAX rarely got those pre COVID.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 11:26 am

I don’t doubt it, but compared with what it was pre-2016ish there were nowhere near as many. MCO-ATL was basically 50/50 752/3 at that time, and almost all MCO-DTW/MSP were 753s also.
Yeah the 753 was a staple in MCO around ~2016 and they’ve slowly been retracting away since. Last year, they mostly ran them on hub-to-hub transcons like ATL-SLC and DTW-SEA where they formally flew on leisure FL and HI routes.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:13 pm

deleted, misunderstood previous post.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
With today's Q2 earnings release/call, it was mentioned that Delta will add back 500 instead of the previously-announced 1000 flights to the August schedule due to the rising number of cases which has caused demand growth to stall. I think some of those have already been reflected in the schedule changes this past weekend.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
I think it’s understandable for them to only add back 500 instead of 1000 flights in August due to the rising cases and somewhat decreased demand. BUT, whatever they do, I hope they don’t make the horrendous cuts they made in April/May/June that made travel on DL essentially impossible if your routing required a connection. The July network has been a vast improvement over the previous Covid months. Many red-eyes have returned and the network overall has domestic connectivity again.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I think it’s understandable for them to only add back 500 instead of 1000 flights in August due to the rising cases and somewhat decreased demand. BUT, whatever they do, I hope they don’t make the horrendous cuts they made in April/May/June that made travel on DL essentially impossible if your routing required a connection. The July network has been a vast improvement over the previous Covid months. Many red-eyes have returned and the network overall has domestic connectivity again.
I agree that the May/June schedules were terrible and a lot of the network connectivity was made impossible. The good news is while DL said bookings have “stalled,” they haven’t declined yet so I assume that no drastic schedule cuts will need to be done yet. I do worry that the eventual September schedule and beyond could bring back some of the May/June connectivity issues as I assume demand will drop significantly as leisure travel will fall as schools start to go back into session (either online or in-person) and there won’t be enough business travel yet to have some of the current schedule levels.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 2:19 pm

I agree that the May/June schedules were terrible and a lot of the network connectivity was made impossible. The good news is while DL said bookings have “stalled,” they haven’t declined yet so I assume that no drastic schedule cuts will need to be done yet. I do worry that the eventual September schedule and beyond could bring back some of the May/June connectivity issues as I assume demand will drop significantly as leisure travel will fall as schools start to go back into session (either online or in-person) and there won’t be enough business travel yet to have some of the current schedule levels.
I think that we'll start seeing September schedule changes roll out in the next few weeks - I think DL has already rolled out a few post-summer international service adjustments in the past week.

Also thinking that KIX-SEA is going to get axed - was searching first week of April (around 4/4) and seeing refundable fares across all cabins being offered there.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by ab2013
I think that we'll start seeing September schedule changes roll out in the next few weeks - I think DL has already rolled out a few post-summer international service adjustments in the past week.

Also thinking that KIX-SEA is going to get axed - was searching first week of April (around 4/4) and seeing refundable fares across all cabins being offered there.
Yeah I’d expect to see the remaining September schedule (the August schedule goes through Labor Day weekend) posted any week now. I’d assume there will be lots of cuts across the board as there won’t be enough business traffic to pick up the lost leisure traffic that normally goes away after Labor Day. Hopefully the connectivity issues won’t be as bad as May and June, but I wouldn’t bet on it.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 3:02 pm

Yeah I’d expect to see the remaining September schedule (the August schedule goes through Labor Day weekend) posted any week now. I’d assume there will be lots of cuts across the board as there won’t be enough business traffic to pick up the lost leisure traffic that normally goes away after Labor Day. Hopefully the connectivity issues won’t be as bad as May and June, but I wouldn’t bet on it.
Yeah, well, the airline has to do what it can to survive. Good times never last. Hopefully, the bad times don't last too long though. At this point, I'm not very hopeful about traveling this year - even domestically. I did book tickets to Japan for next spring - hopefully the pandemic winds down by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.