Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to retire its entire Boeing 777 fleet by the end of the year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to retire its entire Boeing 777 fleet by the end of the year

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2020, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
ATL-PVG (my prefer route) is even more "long" than LAX-SYD
I am curious to see if Delta will take back this route if they take out the 777 (have pax flight to SEA,DTW, LAX)
I bet they'll take it out if the A359 doesn't have the legs to make it work. They have plenty of coverage with SEA/DTW/LAX -- only reason to have it is if local O&D supports the non-stop since everyone else on the east coast can easily connect via DTW and I suspect traffic to China will be suppressed for the foreseeable future (and there was already pressure on loads to China given all the capacity that had been in the market pre-COVID).
Old May 17, 2020, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
I bet they'll take it out if the A359 doesn't have the legs to make it work. They have plenty of coverage with SEA/DTW/LAX -- only reason to have it is if local O&D supports the non-stop since everyone else on the east coast can easily connect via DTW and I suspect traffic to China will be suppressed for the foreseeable future (and there was already pressure on loads to China given all the capacity that had been in the market pre-COVID).
Looking at the respective airport planning documents for the A330-200, A350-900, and 777-200ER (I can't find one for the A330-900), the A330-200, A350-900, and 777-200ER all have similar ranges at typical Delta seating capacities, about 8,000 nautical miles. However, those are no-wind conditions, and flying west, in winter in northern latitudes (i.e, great circle routes to Asia), that drops to about 80% of max, or 6,400nm (7,365 statute miles). LAX-SYD crosses the equator, so it encounters lower wind conditions, and is doable on a 777-200ER or A350-900. I am pretty sure DL serviced the route with a 777-200ER at times.

What this means is ATL-JNB and JFK-BOM (especially BOM-JFK) are out, and ATL-PVG will likely require some load restrictions.

JNB-ATL (westbound) is impossible with anything other than a 777-200LR or A350-900ULR due to the elevation of JNB.

PVG will likely be served from ATL via a connection in DTW.

I expect DL to back to servicing JFK-BOM via AMS in partnership with KLM.

As for JNB, that is hard to say. Perhaps they go back to doing it with an ops stop.

The overall passenger numbers will be down for the next couple of years. DL could easily convert some A350-900 options to ULR versions.
Old May 17, 2020, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Huh? DL says the plane can do JNB without stops. And even if they are lying to us (kinda doubt that) then they could simply convert a few of their orders to the A350ULR which can do JNB without difficulty. The ULR has the exact same fuel tanks as the regular, it just has a higher MTOW (which means that DL most likely will just receive a higher MTOW certification from Airbus for its existing jets)
I'm sure the A350-900 can do ATL-JNB (eastbound), the reverse (JNB-ATL) is difficult because of the elevation of JNB (5,500 ft).
Old May 17, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by meh130
Looking at the respective airport planning documents for the A330-200, A350-900, and 777-200ER (I can't find one for the A330-900), the A330-200, A350-900, and 777-200ER all have similar ranges at typical Delta seating capacities, about 8,000 nautical miles. However, those are no-wind conditions, and flying west, in winter in northern latitudes (i.e, great circle routes to Asia), that drops to about 80% of max, or 6,400nm (7,365 statute miles). LAX-SYD crosses the equator, so it encounters lower wind conditions, and is doable on a 777-200ER or A350-900. I am pretty sure DL serviced the route with a 777-200ER at times.

What this means is ATL-JNB and JFK-BOM (especially BOM-JFK) are out, and ATL-PVG will likely require some load restrictions.

JNB-ATL (westbound) is impossible with anything other than a 777-200LR or A350-900ULR due to the elevation of JNB.

PVG will likely be served from ATL via a connection in DTW.

I expect DL to back to servicing JFK-BOM via AMS in partnership with KLM.

As for JNB, that is hard to say. Perhaps they go back to doing it with an ops stop.

The overall passenger numbers will be down for the next couple of years. DL could easily convert some A350-900 options to ULR versions.
LAX-SYD was flown by the 777-200ER for a while a few years ago when there was a shortage of 777LR (I think it was around the time one got stuck on Ascension but I could be wrong). LAX-SYD as others have eluded to is plenty doable. The BOM and JNB routes will suffer on their westbound flights-Im not sure what the plan is. I actually flew ATL-PVG twice in 2008 in May prior to the olympics and that flight was even longer on one of the trips than any of my JNB-ATL flights. I think I hit 16:30 on one of my ATL-PVG flights that year on the 777-200ER.
Old May 17, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
Can it handle EYW?
Being EYW-based, that is my concern also. If the 737-700s go away, and the A220 can't handle EYW, we would likely lose mainline service entirely and revert back to the hideous old CRJ-700s, and the delay/cancellation numbers would go through the roof.

I seem to recall that DL briefly tried 319s into EYW, but the operational and performance results weren't good and that experiment was quickly ended.
Old May 17, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by chrisj85
Being EYW-based, that is my concern also. If the 737-700s go away, and the A220 can't handle EYW, we would likely lose mainline service entirely and revert back to the hideous old CRJ-700s, and the delay/cancellation numbers would go through the roof.

I seem to recall that DL briefly tried 319s into EYW, but the operational and performance results weren't good and that experiment was quickly ended.
The 220 should be capable to handle EYW. Minimum runway usage at MTOW appears to be only 4,800 ft. Maybe it will take a slight payload hit but should be perfectly capable.
Old May 17, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by DLATL777
LAX-SYD was flown by the 777-200ER for a while a few years ago when there was a shortage of 777LR (I think it was around the time one got stuck on Ascension but I could be wrong). LAX-SYD as others have eluded to is plenty doable. The BOM and JNB routes will suffer on their westbound flights-Im not sure what the plan is. I actually flew ATL-PVG twice in 2008 in May prior to the olympics and that flight was even longer on one of the trips than any of my JNB-ATL flights. I think I hit 16:30 on one of my ATL-PVG flights that year on the 777-200ER.
16h30, it is a long one. I take ATL-PVG about 4 to 5 x a year. I did not remember a 16h30 one, possible near 16h, but not more than 16h (even sometime I did not remember because sleeping).
You must have a strong face winds (strong jet stream), and possible the "curve" of the jet stream is really not good for an ATL-PVG flight.
Old May 17, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

I believe the 175 is good for EYW. Not as big as the 737/A220 but I think that's what AA/Eagle uses there.
Old May 17, 2020, 7:57 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum

Originally Posted by WidgetKid
The 220 should be capable to handle EYW. Minimum runway usage at MTOW appears to be only 4,800 ft. Maybe it will take a slight payload hit but should be perfectly capable.
Im sure if they retire the the 73G then a sub fleet of the A220 will get a MTOW upgrade as IIRC DL purchased a derated a220 engine and MTOW package

Last edited by kiwicanuck; May 17, 2020 at 10:50 pm
Old May 17, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by kiwicanuck
Im sure if they retire the the 73G then a sub fleet of the A220 will get a MTOW upgrade as IIRC DL purchased a derated a220 engine and MTOW package
Why would DL need to retire the 73G? They are barley 10 years old and share the same pilot groups with the 738/739.
Old May 17, 2020, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
DL was expecting to ramp up in MIA before all this happened. Those plans are obviously changing, but they could switch ATL-JNB to MIA-JNB.
Old May 17, 2020, 10:46 pm

I do wonder if as a longer term play Delta might be interested in picking up United's 767-400ER fleet, which is supposedly on it's way out and could probably be had for fractions of cents on the dollar given their limited production run; I don't think any other airline in the world would have an interest except for Delta. Even if they had to go into storage for a year or two it could be worth it if they plan on keeping their own 764 fleet around.

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
So, wild thinking-out-loud on my part, but I can live with the A350 instead of the 777 as a whole, but really hate to give up JNB. But it's not because I like to go to JNB, it's because I love to go to CPT. So, it's off to JNB on DL and then find a way to CPT (whether on SAA or the Blue Train or whatever).

The problem with JNB-USA has always been that JNB is both high and hot. Very tough to launch a very heavy ULH flight from a high and hot airport, which is why the 777-200LR was really the only equipment capable of doing it with fairly good payloads.

If JNB is to continue, it obviously will be with a stop on the westbound return (but appears you could operate ATL-JNB with the A350 nonstop). You now have to strategically plan the stop.

The old DL system (pre-777) with the stops in Dakar on the 767 was awful. So was the old SA fueling stop in the Azores.

Since CPT is sea level and cooler, could the A350 operate CPT-ATL nonstop? CPT is 300 miles closer to ATL than JNB.

Which brings up a thought: How about a circle trip operating ATL-JNB-CPT-ATL? You could sell seats from ATL to both JNB and CPT. As international routes relaunch, and demand is soft initially, seems like adding the extra destination would fill some seats that might go empty.

The other thought would be to operate JNB-SJU, perhaps, or if the A350 could make it, JNB-FLL/MIA, then onward. Folks could clear immigration in either SJU or FLL/MIA while the plane is being refueled, saving substantial time on arrival in ATL and making connections easier. There is a large South African ex-pat group in South Florida that this routing would appeal to as well. (Recall that SAA used to operate CPT-FLL-ATL back in the day on the 747, and a lot of folks got off the plane at FLL.)

So, in a sense I am trying to make lemonade out of lemons. I just hate to see Delta give up its leading role to South Africa from the US (and me have to go via Europe, with no upgrade options, to get there).
If the A350 can't make it to ATL out of JNB, they could opt for the triangle route option via CPT as you laid out. But more likely would be moving the flight to JFK, which is almost 500 miles shorter than ATL (and 100 shorter than South Florida), plus South African is about to bite the dust and they may want to beat United to the punch on that one.
Old May 17, 2020, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by steveholt
DL was expecting to ramp up in MIA before all this happened. Those plans are obviously changing, but they could switch ATL-JNB to MIA-JNB.
Why would they do MIA - JNB. JFK - JNB is slightly shorter and JFK is a DL hub if for some reason they can't do ATL - JNB and the decide to keep flying there.
Duke787 likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Why would they do MIA - JNB. JFK - JNB is slightly shorter and JFK is a DL hub if for some reason they can't do ATL - JNB and the decide to keep flying there.
I'm suggesting that MIA is going to become a semi-hub for DL in the future.
Old May 18, 2020, 5:38 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by steveholt
I'm suggesting that MIA is going to become a semi-hub for DL in the future.
I’d assume that anything DL has planned for MIA will either be delayed or significantly reduced. DL has said they are pausing all growth until Q4 2021 at the earliest. The only routes DL planned on adding to MIA was SLC, RDU, MCO, and TPA with the majority of those flights going to TPA and MIA. I doubt there will be much demand for commercial intra-Florida plane travel anytime soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.