Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to retire its entire Boeing 777 fleet by the end of the year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to retire its entire Boeing 777 fleet by the end of the year

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH
Could be FedEx? If they selling the 7772ER, not 777LR. The 777LR are still too young to be retired. I think the 777LR will stays for a little bit longer.
DL has said all 777s are out at year's end, both ER and LR. I could see the LRs going to FedEx as they would compliment the existing FedEx 777F fleet. As we know freight airlines are booming these days.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320
DL has said all 777s are out at year's end, both ER and LR. I could see the LRs going to FedEx as they would compliment the existing FedEx 777F fleet. As we know freight airlines are booming these days.
There isn’t currently a pax to freighter conversion available for any of the 772 variants so I don’t think they would be able to go to any of the cargo airlines right now.
Old May 15, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
There isn’t currently a pax to freighter conversion available for any of the 772 variants so I don’t think they would be able to go to any of the cargo airlines right now.
No one is doing P2F conversions on a plane that just passed a D-Check. I am confident that at least one freight company is willing to pick these up for flex capacity and will forgo the P2F. They will load heavy ULDs in the underbelly and bulk out the main cabin where they can. If they don't max out the load, who cares? They will use it where it makes economic sense and since they were bought for pennies on the dollar with low MX costs in the near-term, it's ideal.

There is zero chance a 10-year old 77L that just passed a D-check goes to scrap.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Sometimes. Other times it may be better to file Ch 11 and get out of the expensive aircraft and fly the wings off the aircraft you own. That's what NWA did with the DC-9 and DC-10. I think it's foolish to not file Ch 11 in this circumstance. Everything starts new. Judges will usually rubber stamp whatever the airline wants.
Agreed. They may inevitably go down this route anyway.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
There is zero chance a 10-year old 77L that just passed a D-check goes to scrap.
Well the former Air India ones that were taken by Etihad have started to be parted out (with line number 629 already scrapped) so I don't think many would agree with you. Highly unlikely that any airline would take on an LR in this aviation market, especially in light of better fuel economy of the A350.
Old May 15, 2020, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Well the former Air India ones that were taken by Etihad have started to be parted out (with line number 629 already scrapped) so I don't think many would agree with you. Highly unlikely that any airline would take on an LR in this aviation market, especially in light of better fuel economy of the A350.
My understanding was the ex-AI birds were in atrocious condition. In comparison, I would expect DL’s to be meticulously maintained, however who knows.
Old May 15, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
It’s too bad these can’t find their way, seats and all, to a partner who could use some fleet renewal. The 777 is too big for most Virgin Atlantic purposes, but Delta’s config sure would make a nice A340/747 replacement for them and give them a major improvement over their current J product. Five years ago before they redid everything Virgin Australia would have been the ideal candidate. KE and AF have too many planes as it is; too big for AM; too nice for KL. China Eastern, perhaps?

If this was a US economic crisis and not a worldwide one, I think they’d absolutely be thinking along these lines. They might be anyway...

Not saying this is likely, it isn’t at all, but it’s also not entirely insane to consider and postulate over on Friday night with a libation.
Old May 15, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Originally Posted by ethernal
I agree with everything you said with one possible exception: the LRs are young, well-maintained birds that just passed a D-check as part of their refurbs. And they will be on fire-sale. If an integrator can pick 8 of these up for pennies on the dollar, their economics are highly desirable for flex capacity even with restrictions. Given that they just passed a D-check, there is no way they would do a full P2F conversion. They'd rip out the seats, use the underbelly for heavier cargo, and bulk out the main cabin. Doesn't leave at max payload? Who cares, I got them for $5-7M each with 10+ years of low-frequency flex flying before the next D-check is due.

I don't know if there would be pilot pool issues with that or not (assume there is still type commonality between a 777F and 772), but I don't see 10 year old 772s that just went through a D-check going to the scrapyard. Someone somewhere will find a use for them.
No integrator is going to operate an aircraft without the capability to load ULDs on the main-deck. That will require a cargo-door to be installed, as well as a restraint/roller system on the floor. Since the only STC proposing to do that is the IAI conversion based on the -300ER, and IAI have not in any way indicated they're looking at doing this for the LR as well, it simply isn't going to happen. Bulk loading the main-deck is an extremely time consuming affair, and doesn't fit the rushed nature of an integrators operation.

As a general cargo aircraft, i.e the likes of Cargolux, Singapore Cargo or Atlas Air, the aircraft is even less attractive.

So unless DL is planning on long-term storage, and with the total withdrawal of the 777 fleet that seems highly unlikely, I'm afraid their future is parting out and beer cans.
Old May 16, 2020, 3:37 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
I've seen some articles framing this as "another blow to Boeing." Delta is just retiring existing aircraft, right? I thought they already weren't ordering any new aircraft from Boeing.

Assuming so - I can't imagine the revenue from providing replacement parts and service to 18 aircraft is a major blow to Boeing vs. anything else that's going on right now.
SJC ORD LDR and strickerj like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by jm0933
I've seen some articles framing this as "another blow to Boeing." Delta is just retiring existing aircraft, right? I thought they already weren't ordering any new aircraft from Boeing.

Assuming so - I can't imagine the revenue from providing replacement parts and service to 18 aircraft is a major blow to Boeing vs. anything else that's going on right now.
That’s just more clickbait. It has nothing to do with reality.
strickerj and eneq like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 6:10 am

I wonder if they are already starting to phase them out. I was booked on DL 84 ATL-CDG Departing at 11:08 on Sept 2 and woke up this morning and noticed that aircraft type and seat are gone and you cant select that flight anymore out of ATL. While I've flown the 777 to SYD and I am booked on the JNB flight in Oct this would have been my first time in D1 about the 777 but doesn't look like its gonna happen
Old May 16, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Steven Citrin
I wonder if they are already starting to phase them out. I was booked on DL 84 ATL-CDG Departing at 11:08 on Sept 2 and woke up this morning and noticed that aircraft type and seat are gone and you cant select that flight anymore out of ATL. While I've flown the 777 to SYD and I am booked on the JNB flight in Oct this would have been my first time in D1 about the 777 but doesn't look like its gonna happen

same here my lax-ams in gone for early September. Guessing they have cancelled the flight all together ( even thou I was 95% sure I am not going on the trip anyway )
Old May 16, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I find this fascinating. It seems to me Delta thinks travel is going to be suppressed for a long time, long enough that on the other side of this they will need new/better planes if they want to grow. I worry that significant layoffs will follow with there being less aircraft to operate.
Old May 16, 2020, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by cbrown5294
same here my lax-ams in gone for early September. Guessing they have cancelled the flight all together ( even thou I was 95% sure I am not going on the trip anyway )

Yeah I was able to speak to someone at the diamond desk and she said that they pulled the route (though there was an earlier 777 flight I couldn't make that one so going direct via JFK) so it seems like they are already cutting them. I was able to move for no cost and apply the GUC to upgrade to D1 on the A333. I too agree with the other post that Delta sure seems to be thinking that its going to be several years before things rebound but idk personally that doesn't seem to be the feeling I get from myself, family and friends who did a lot of traveling prior to COVID and are itching to get back into the air.

I wish there was some idea regarding the flight to Mumbai in 2021 even though its still bookable i feel like its really uncertain on if its actually going to happen but had it down to 600 MC RT with upgrade space in April 2021 but seems to risky right now to book it since my certificates expire in June and have really worked to not waste them as IDK when ill be diamond again
Old May 16, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jm0933

Yes, the impact on Boeing is quite small. But still I'm sure Boeing wasn't exactly thrilled by this news. It's more psychological. Retiring some really young planes, and then explaining that you're going to use a competitor's plane to fly those routes instead is not ideal. And at a time when Boeing has had a a full year of continuous negative press, and could really use good news, literally any good news at all, this is not ideal. But yes, they'll get passed this, and it's certain that some Airbus planes are going to get retired too during these times

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.