Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

VS-operated, DL-code: Who holds the funds until flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

For a new cash booking, operated by VS but DL code, does DL hold the funds until the flight actually operates?

Any predictions on what happens if VS liquidates between now and then?

006 stock if it matters.

Thanks FT!
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
006 with a DL codeshare should be DL. I believe in this case DL has "paid" VS already for those seats via their codeshare agreement (there is likely some revenue split in the background but the CC bill will say Delta)
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VS gets paid by DL after flight is taken. This can take weeks after flight.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
If you buy your ticket through Delta, if the flight goes pear shaped because of WX, MX or labor issues, Delta will rebook you on DL metal, or refund your ticket.

I would add to this that VS is not flying IAD-LHR and v.v. So if you had a Delta 006 ticket on this route, you could fly it on DL with a connection at JFK or ATL.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
I would always expect if ticketed through DL that it would be DL's responsibility to get you to destination or refund you if things go pear-shaped regardless of whether they've paid over funds for your flight to VS prior to travel or not.

Your contract is with the ticketing airline, any arrangements they have with financially vulnerable end-suppliers are surely their problem at the end of the day, albeit you end up being inconvenienced somewhere along the line because of re-booking, re-routing or whatever.

I shoudn't worry too much though. As much as there is public push-back in the UK because of Branson's non-domiciled tax-avoiding status as an individual, at the end of the day VS is still likely to get most if not all of what they're asking for from the taxpayer purse in terms of financial guarantees/loans, although UK Govt dithering just long enough that VS runs out of cash and goes down the plughole can't be discounted entirely!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.