Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Which DL Hub is Taking the Worst Hit From COVID-19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which DL Hub is Taking the Worst Hit From COVID-19?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I noted this in a separate thread, but DL seems to be beginning to adjust faring a bit, probably in line with this.

I'm guessing that Delta is reticent to reduce flights too far, if only to avoid either having to re-establish schedules later or start losing connectivity.
I think they will if planes are too empty or the yield is too low, but I think they'd rather have people reschedule on their own instead so that they can keep the money and offer the passenger a eCredit. Example: just last week SEA-MCO was pricing in at $99 one-way in basic, which isn't even 4 cents per mile and I'm pretty sure that's well below Delta's actual cost of operating the flight.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:51 am

There were at most 30 people in the main DTW Sky Club on Sunday night at 6pm. DTW was a ghost town.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ab2013
I think they will if planes are too empty or the yield is too low, but I think they'd rather have people reschedule on their own instead so that they can keep the money and offer the passenger a eCredit. Example: just last week SEA-MCO was pricing in at $99 one-way in basic, which isn't even 4 cents per mile and I'm pretty sure that's well below Delta's actual cost of operating the flight.
I saw a Main Cabin fare MCO-SEA for $128 the other day. Was able to change my routing from MCO-JFK-SEA to the MCO-SEA flight this AM. Got upgraded to FC with companion about 5 minutes after. Plane ended up actually being fairly full, too.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
I've been to 4 airports this week: SEA, SLC, TPA and MCO. SEA has by far the least amount of traffic and is a ghost town relative to before the virus hit. The florida airports were still fairly busy, with MCO even having it's usually huge TSA line last night around 5PM, though I suspect it was due to the rash of people leaving once all the parks got closed.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
I saw a Main Cabin fare MCO-SEA for $128 the other day. Was able to change my routing from MCO-JFK-SEA to the MCO-SEA flight this AM. Got upgraded to FC with companion about 5 minutes after. Plane ended up actually being fairly full, too.
Really tempted to go on a MQM run. Surprised to hear about the load though.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
I've been to 4 airports this week: SEA, SLC, TPA and MCO. SEA has by far the least amount of traffic and is a ghost town relative to before the virus hit. The florida airports were still fairly busy, with MCO even having it's usually huge TSA line last night around 5PM, though I suspect it was due to the rash of people leaving once all the parks got closed.
Tons of snowbirds heading back up north to Canada and northern USA.
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Really tempted to go on a MQM run. Surprised to hear about the load though.
Some flights tend to have high F loads and some don't. It's really a toss up. With things as cheap as they are though, using EF to see availability close in to departure can be useful and just book yourself on something with low F numbers to secure an upgrade. With that said, if the back is empty 3 across in Y may be preferable to 1 in F...
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Some flights tend to have high F loads and some don't. It's really a toss up. With things as cheap as they are though, using EF to see availability close in to departure can be useful and just book yourself on something with low F numbers to secure an upgrade. With that said, if the back is empty 3 across in Y may be preferable to 1 in F...
Yeah but it'd be socially irresponsible to get on a cheap flight just for elite mileage while potentially infecting others who are at risk if I am asymptomatic.
Zorak likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah but it'd be socially irresponsible to get on a cheap flight just for elite mileage while potentially infecting others who are at risk if I am asymptomatic.
Well, that's a completely different decision one must make.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fares are tempting, but then I read the thread on the AF/KL forum from a guy who thinks he may have caught it or passed it around while doing an MR last week. Totally not worth it.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xliioper
The fares are tempting, but then I read the thread on the AF/KL forum from a guy who thinks he may have caught it or passed it around while doing an MR last week. Totally not worth it.
Meh, better to get it early and be done with it rather than wait around.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320
Meh, better to get it early and be done with it rather than wait around.
I felt the same way you do for a while but I've begun to realize that the issue is not me getting it, it's who I might give it to and what might happen to them.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I felt the same way you do for a while but I've begun to realize that the issue is not me getting it, it's who I might give it to and what might happen to them.
^This is what I meant by being potentially socially irresponsible to hop on a cheap flight just for the MQMs especially if you end up being a asymptomatic carrier. This virus can potentially be deadly to others. That said, I also feel really bad for the employees who end up either losing their jobs or having reduced pay because of reduced hours thanks to covid19.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Just read that PHL has closed the A-West terminal (primarily and INTL terminal) and moved all carriers that normally use it and are still flying to A-East (also INTL capable). Any other terminals out there closing yet? Seems like ATL, DTW and MSP could easily close entire concourses with the planned reductions in ops. Question is whether or not the airport would be thrilled about that given the impact on the concessions. Also, spreading out the remaining flight might be a good thing for social distancing.

So much to consider...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
ATL could easily close one or more concourses. At DTW, B/C could be closed, with all of the RJs using A. Some larger RJs, like CRJ-900s, already use A for at least some routes.

MSP might be harder given the terminal's floorplan, but the obvious choice might be to close F (which IME is usually the most crowded concourse). IIRC there's a gate (beyond the SC entrance and stairs/elevator to the airport conference center and mezzanine level) that can be used to close off access very easily and completely, although the F/G connector hallway would need to be blocked at the other (G) end too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.