Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for Damaged Bag

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
TravelPro isnt a status bag...try Tumi or Rimowa...

I used to have a SwissTech. It was junk.

I now have an international plain black Tumi - the handle doesnt snap in transit, the wheels dont fail, and if anything goes wrong, I can get a loaner at a local store.

To each their own. But just saying - if you think TravelPro is status your spectrum of bags needs expansion.

LOL. My benchmark now is anything over the $68 I paid three years ago is a status bag. And the Swiss Tech bag is not junk---yet.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by kxc262
Do you have status on DL? DL has replaced my bag twice at face value when I was flying as Diamond.
I had to persist, but I received full replacement cost when DL totally destroyed a Hartmann bag.

A problem with the process is that you have to file a loss report, and you are told that it might be a considerable period (up to 10 business days, IIRC) before a claims adjuster contacts you to discuss options.

I did what the DL baggage folks at two airports told me to do -- buy a replacement and rely on DL to reimburse the costs. Another example of front line folks having more customer focus than the home office folks, who wanted to nickle and dime me.

My Hartmann bag had a lifetime repair guarantee. Who knows what quality of bag DL would offer as a replacement. If what they offer to Million Milers now (Samsonite now vs Hartmann or Tumi previously) is any indication, I would not have high expectations.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bcl00
I'd ideally like the full replacement cost but I'm not too upset about the $107. I have a separate thread in the B6 forum where I had another damage incident on the return leg that has me much more upset.
I know it sucks.. but take what DL gave you...and sorry to say...and dont take this in a bad way.. but you seem to problem with airlines damaging your bag...
in my 25yes plus of flying , when I was checking bags (large camera equipment, so quite heavy and well padded) BA only damaged my bag once
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta PM & 2.4M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve
Delta snapped the handle off my Travel Pro bag when it was 5 years old - took it to the luggage store where i bought it and Travel Pro gave me a new similar bag - lifetime replacement - at least for the one I bought (21" carry on type).
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
I have a Briggs and Riley 21" rollerboard that has been damaged by the airlines multiple times. With the lifetime warranty, I just take it in to a local store for repairs. i don't want to get the bag downgraded by DL if they feel the need to replace it. I love it! Been with me over half a million miles and still works perfectly when its not getting damaged by DL lol.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH <>, B6 mosaic
Final update, I took Delta's $107 and a new bag. The new bag is not as nice as the TravelPro bag that they broke and $107 doesn't cover replacement costs but I've decided this is as good as its going to get. I probably could have gone another 5 years with the bag since it's my large suitcase that I use fairly infrequently but whatever. I'm probably a little sour on the whole thing because B6 did damage to my ski boots and bag on the way home. The damage total on that one is over $800. Claim with B6 is pending...
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For those who need full replacement value coverage, it is best to invest in a travel insurance policy which covers that form of replacement. Those policies vary by dollar amount of coverage, proof required, and of course cost. This may also be a good point to sit down and evaluate what one needs for travel coverage in general and to review the bits & pieces which some credit cards offer. Travel interruption, air evacuation, prepaid ground costs and the like, may all be worth it. For those traveling overseas, considering medical coverage depending on what one has in the US can be important as well.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
I had a couple of soft-sided Samsonite bags get torn, got sent to a repair centre which determined they couldn't be repaired and was given new Samsonite soft-sided bags on the spot.

Did I miss out on $107.25 USD, or is it because they replaced with like kind maybe? I also got no receipt for that transaction from the baggage store.... just sort of walked out with the bags and left them the Delta baggage information.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Delta stopped responding to my emails. I think they calculated the depreciated value of the bag to be $107.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by bcl00
Delta stopped responding to my emails. I think they calculated the depreciated value of the bag to be $107.
Not a bad resolution, but I'm sure the new bag isn't as nice as yours was.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Well, I thought this case was closed and then I get another email from Delta saying they reconsidered. They said they are giving me $200 which represents the depreciated value of my bag. Score!
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by divrdrew
I have a Briggs and Riley 21" rollerboard that has been damaged by the airlines multiple times. With the lifetime warranty, I just take it in to a local store for repairs. i don't want to get the bag downgraded by DL if they feel the need to replace it. I love it! Been with me over half a million miles and still works perfectly when its not getting damaged by DL lol.
My larger bag is Briggs and Riley. The lifetime warranty is a godsend -- have already used it. The bag that DL destroyed was a Hartmann, with the same type of warranty. (It is a shame, but now that Hartmann is owned by Samsonite, the lifetime warranty is no longer provided for new purchases. And, Samsonite is what DL is now offering for MM awards. )

Lifetime warranties are an example of why DL's rigid, depreciation-based reimbursement approach can, in some instances, be ridiculous. With a reputable life-time warranty program backing up the product, the service life of a good piece of luggage is indeterminate -- barring incompetent handling by an airline. My B&R bag is worth no less to me now than the day I bought it. But, if DL were to put it through their luggage shredder, they would offer me only a fraction of the replacement cost.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
My larger bag is Briggs and Riley. The lifetime warranty is a godsend -- have already used it. The bag that DL destroyed was a Hartmann, with the same type of warranty. (It is a shame, but now that Hartmann is owned by Samsonite, the lifetime warranty is no longer provided for new purchases. And, Samsonite is what DL is now offering for MM awards. )

Lifetime warranties are an example of why DL's rigid, depreciation-based reimbursement approach can, in some instances, be ridiculous. With a reputable life-time warranty program backing up the product, the service life of a good piece of luggage is indeterminate -- barring incompetent handling by an airline. My B&R bag is worth no less to me now than the day I bought it. But, if DL were to put it through their luggage shredder, they would offer me only a fraction of the replacement cost.
DL is no different than pretty much any other merchant vendor out there. Not just air carriers.

People who want more than FMV either insure for replacement cost or purchase what amounts to that insurance as part of the product itself. B&R markets the lifetime warranty and prices accordingly. That may represent good value to you. As you can see from this not statistically-significant thread, others take the opposing view, e.g. purchase cheap and suck up the occasional few bucks here and there.

But, DL's position is entirely rational and mirrors general business practice.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:49 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Coming home from AMS I picked up my obliterated bag at customs in JFK (3/12), maybe a conveyor belt jam or something had happened.

There were wear marks that went through multiple layers of plastic.

The case for my sonic care toothbrush was completely crushed.

The frame, handle, and wheels were smashed, shattered, and severed in multiple points.

Some contents were damaged and others were missing. Like a shoe that fell through the torn fabric...

I was the return for the maiden voyage of my new Osprey bag. I submitted my damage claim at the final destination, but the lengthy 2-6 hour waits on the PM line have kept me from following up.

I'm posting here instead of starting a new thread.

Only question I really have is which damage policy is better international or domestic? I know it is an international flight, but it sounds (so far) that they're just following standard Delta practices.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Wimsta
Coming home from AMS I picked up my obliterated bag at customs in JFK (3/12), maybe a conveyor belt jam or something had happened.

There were wear marks that went through multiple layers of plastic.

The case for my sonic care toothbrush was completely crushed.

The frame, handle, and wheels were smashed, shattered, and severed in multiple points.

Some contents were damaged and others were missing. Like a shoe that fell through the torn fabric...

I was the return for the maiden voyage of my new Osprey bag. I submitted my damage claim at the final destination, but the lengthy 2-6 hour waits on the PM line have kept me from following up.

I'm posting here instead of starting a new thread.

Only question I really have is which damage policy is better international or domestic? I know it is an international flight, but it sounds (so far) that they're just following standard Delta practices.
International applies regardless. No item limitations (ie electronics), but the total claim cap can be much lower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.