Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Trip Protection"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I always use insuremytrip.com for travel policies for expensive trips. They are a broker and after you put in your trip info they will show you at least 20 different policies with different coverage.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Also make sure there is no out clause for things like a global pandemic. Some policies exclude coverage for things like that. Ie acts of war, major disasters, nuclear explosions, global pandemics, etc...
Yup, pretty much any travel insurance policy has at least 10 ways not to pay out for every one way that actually pays. "Force Majeure" is a personal favorite. There's a reason insurance companies make billions every year.

Often cases that a travel insurance policy would actually pay on...are covered by the travel provider anyway. For example a travel waiver for Covid-19 or a major storm.
volabam and progapanda like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by altabello
Would trip coverage pay if one got sick on the trip due to Corona and re-patriate the patient?
the general term for this is "emergency/medical evacuation"

again, each policy is different and you have to check. many would require preclearance/jump-thru-many-hoops to get it working, and doesn't work if the govt bans all travel/flights

i've heard good things for amex's handling of this (free on some cards)

Medical evacuation benefit with USA Platinum ?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:33 pm

I would never buy trip insurance from the airline itself. Just as I don't trust the hospital to protect me and carry my own Malpractice Insurance.

I vet my needs by comparing many offered policies at www.insuremytrip.com
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:57 pm

Programs: Sky team, hhonors, Marriott
It is 'highly recommended' because DL makes a big cut out of literally forcing it down your throat. I hate that I am forced to have to decline insurance every time I buy a ticket, like it is some legal requirement.
MSPeconomist, HDQDD and volabam like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:46 am

Others have mentioned insuremytrip.com. Another thing I like about them is that they have real people on Chat: I've often submitted rather complicated questions and gotten quick, sensible answers. At this point I'm not buying extra insurance for Coronavirus because if an event (i.e. a conference) gets canceled I assume I'll get my payment back, and if the flight gets canceled I'll get a voucher. If an event gets canceled but the flight doesn't get canceled, I'm out of luck unless I have a "cancel for any reason" policy.

Essentially trip insurance will only cover you if you're the one who gets sick (or an immediate family member on some policies.) Doesn't matter if the rest of the world is experiencing a global pandemic.

In general I buy a policy after I've made the first payment on travel, and then I often add coverage as I plan the trip and add more non-refundable payments to the itinerary. That's why I always check the "No I don't want to be protected and might lose all my money and yes I'm really stupid for declining your coverage" box on the airlines' websites.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:49 am

As for medical evacuation, I usually buy MedJet, which covers a whole year of trips. This allows me to go for minimal medical evacuation coverate on specific trip policies.

Since I didn't plan travel this spring (stroke of luck) I haven't checked with MedJet about evacuation from areas with coronavirus travel restrictions.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
So some points

A couple of points. Some have been made by previous posters, but bear repeating. I do believe cancel for any reason (CFAR) insurance is generally a good idea for those who think they may want to cancel out of fear. However, please note:

1) As others have noted, read any policy carefully.
2) Even for regular travel insurance, be sure to read if the insurer has declared an epidemic exclusion. This may mean if you buy the policy AFTER their declaration you might not be eligible for coverage as the epidemic was a "known event"
3) Most CFAR coverage will only cover 50-80% of your non reimbursed trip costs, depending on the policy you buy..
4) Allianz and Roam Right are insurers with pretty good reputations.
5) Even if you did not book through a travel agent, many would help you locate policy that meets your needs, depending on what you are looking for.
6) There is usually a short window (maybe 7 to 21 days) after you purchase the travel to get the travel insurance. Insurers don't want you to wait to buy CFAR until you know you need it
7) If your concern is less about getting sick and more about finding yourself quarantined or with flights canceled, look for a policy with good trip interruption/cancellation coverage.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gretchendz
A couple of points. Some have been made by previous posters, but bear repeating. I do believe cancel for any reason (CFAR) insurance is generally a good idea for those who think they may want to cancel out of fear. However, please note:

1) As others have noted, read any policy carefully.
2) Even for regular travel insurance, be sure to read if the insurer has declared an epidemic exclusion. This may mean if you buy the policy AFTER their declaration you might not be eligible for coverage as the epidemic was a "known event"
3) Most CFAR coverage will only cover 50-80% of your non reimbursed trip costs, depending on the policy you buy..
4) Allianz and Roam Right are insurers with pretty good reputations.
5) Even if you did not book through a travel agent, many would help you locate policy that meets your needs, depending on what you are looking for.
6) There is usually a short window (maybe 7 to 21 days) after you purchase the travel to get the travel insurance. Insurers don't want you to wait to buy CFAR until you know you need it
7) If your concern is less about getting sick and more about finding yourself quarantined or with flights canceled, look for a policy with good trip interruption/cancellation coverage.
4)I have an annual policy with Allianz. I always make out on the winning end and have never had an issue with them processing a claim.

6)In most cases this is a legal requirement. While most don't associate it in the same way as auto/health insurance, these policies are still insurance policies. Thus they're regulated by same agencies that regulate those. Extension of this - be careful of any policy exclusions based on state you live in. Ie I'm a TX resident, because of state law/regulations catchall travel policies cant include rental vehicle coverage. You must get a separate rental vehicle only policy to cover that. The main annual Alliance travel policy includes this coverage, but in the state specific exclusions section in mentions TX residents are excluded from that benefit.
gretchendz and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
So if I were to buy an annual policy from Allianz now, would it cover flights I'd already booked in the past beyond that 7-21 day window? (e.g. a flight that I booked in October 2019 that kicks off on March 21?)
Old Mar 2, 2020, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by steveholt
So if I were to buy an annual policy from Allianz now, would it cover flights I'd already booked in the past beyond that 7-21 day window? (e.g. a flight that I booked in October 2019 that kicks off on March 21?)
Yes. What it wont allow is you to buy it for an event that has already happened. the qualifying event cant have already occurred/ you cant have pre-existing knowledge. (Ie Cant be told you need surgery and then buy insurance so that you can cancel for that surgery)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.