Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emptiest Delta Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by isveres
dl first class feels to me the worst of all us domestic firsts, probably 3-4 inches less pitch than aa and ua

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Why? 37" pitch 21" width is pretty standard for domestic First?
Interesting. The routes around here if there is a difference it is only 1", but a lot of the delta planes don't even have a first.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:15 am

I flew STR (Stuttgart, Germany) to ATL early last year and it was a very empty flight—would be surprised if there were more than 40 people total, and most of those were military. I was one of maybe 3-4 people in the entire business class section. It’s hard enough as it is not to drink a lot on those transatlantic flights and with no one else to attend to, I was getting refilled about every 3 mins. Definitely got some looks wobbling through the airport at like 2PM...
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: DL, B6, Hilton, Marriott, LaQuinta
Originally Posted by sspontak
Way back around 1990. I flew Delta Connection Business Express from Albany to LaGuardia on the Shorts 360. It was a boxy plane but comfortable with large window. It was a Monday morning and I was the only passenger. There was no flight attendant on board. The co-pilot came back to the cabin and served me a muffin and coffee. It was a short but memorable flight.
I had a BizEx flight on a BAE146 from JFK to PVD that had 2 passengers on it.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Why? 37" pitch 21" width is pretty standard for domestic First?
These planes are the worst. They feel infinitely tighter than the 757/A321 because of the higher cabin floor, lower windows, and fuselage taper near the front. It also doesn't help that the lavs are microscopic, the plane is extremely loud, and the air vents barely function. I won't fly on these planes at all anymore.
DLATL777 and Daitheflu84 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Love seeing these stories today since almost every DL flight I'm on is completely full.

Two weeks ago flying a CRJ900 AVL-ATL, a quick 36 minute hop, we had 19 on the plane.

A couple of years ago I was one of a handful of passengers on a DL CRJ900 from DTW-DCA. It was the late flight back to DCA and the aircraft went mechanical. At first they were going to cancel the flight, but then decided to delay for a long time. Many passengers decide to rebook. They ended up swapping the aircraft out since they needed the plane to overnight in DCA for the early am flight back to DTW. I was one of the few still around. We left DTW just before midnight.

In 12 years with DL, I've never been on a mainline flight that has been super empty.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
These planes are the worst.
You’ve clearly never spent a nanosecond on any incarnation of The Devil’s Chariot.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kale73
You’ve clearly never spent a nanosecond on any incarnation of The Devil’s Chariot.
Haha, well yes, those are truly the worst. Fortunately I’m almost always on mainline so I barely even think about the regionals anymore. Last time I flew the CRJ was probably 8-10 years ago.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Last summer, I flew out of ORD the day after a particularly bad weather day where everything was majorly delayed and was talking with one of the agents there when I was leaving. They told me the last LGA flight of the night had left with about 5 people on it and the last RDU-ORD-RDU turn left completely empty both directions (apparently everybody was able to get on the earlier flight).
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Silver
Obviously it's not possible to beat the solo passenger story, but I did have one close a few years back. It was CMH to NYC (I believe LGA) on an RJ (it's been so long I can't remember which version). I was one of 3 on board and I had first to myself. Lots of bad weather earlier in the day and we were delayed quite a bit. Probably the bumpiest/scariest flight I've ever been on but the pilot flew that plane like he stole it and we got home in one piece and quicker than I can remember. I was surprised we went out with such a light load and in such poor WX but from what I can remember, and it's fuzzy, they had to get both the crew and plane back for other requirements the next day.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Side note but I actually fly to LAX then back to avoid 5+ hours on those terrible aircraft. TBH having hobo lieflat is about the only way I could tolerate them.
This is absolutely something I would do. I have an upcoming JFK-SEA on this beast and am not looking forward to it.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
A few years ago I flew LHR-BOS on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. I would guess there were no more than 40 pax in Y and a handful in J. I was in C+ with 2-3-2 (or maybe 2-4-2?) seating. I had the two seats by the window to myself and also the whole row of center seats when I wanted to sleep.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
I had a JFK-FLL flight earlier this year that had maybe 40 people on it. I got UG'd at 120 hours out and had an empty seat next to me. This was on an A321 and there ended up being 6 or 7 empty seats in FC and 120 or more empty in the back.

Also, my GF and I flew SEA-LIH last fall on a 757 and I believe there were 68 seats taken. I was a GM at the time and we both got UG'd at 3 days out and had 4 empty FC seats. Was one of my better UG/FC flight experiences!
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
I miss the Shorts, the flying school bus
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
Back in the day, Eastern flew an hourly no-reservation needed shuttle between LGA-DCA (LGA-BOS as well), all you had to do was show up at the gate 5 min before scheduled departure and you were guaranteed a seat even if they had to roll out a standby plane.

One day I show up nine minutes before departure. Flight was full, already being pushed back. Gate agent says “well your here on time, the standby plane is at the next gate over.” I felt guilty, I said wasn’t in that big a hurry I can wait an hour. He smiled.

At seven minutes before schedule another guy shows up. He MUST be on that flight! Agent shakes his head a little, “ok, next gate.” How could I not tag along? Two of us on a 727-200.

Another one. Two days after we bombed Libya I was on a Pan Am 747 JFK-FCO. One guy in First, one guy in Business (me) and nine in the back.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Back in the day on more than one occasion I’ve been on a 767 with 15 open seats in business class and only 40 passengers in the main cabin. Then the captain refuses to board the 10 non revs into business class for weight and balance restriction.
how is that possible ? Couldn’t they move cargo around instead ? Or they don’t want to carry more fuel for non revs ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.