Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Requalifying for Diamond by March, what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Requalifying for Diamond by March, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by orca15
I kind of feel like once you make Diamond, the whole point is to enjoy the benefits. Why start over at some lesser set of benefits at another (presumably less convenient) airline, just to try and achieve what you already have? I feel a little differently about hotels since it's rare that a single chain serves my purpose. But for me, from PHF especially, going to someone besides DL would just be more pain.
I can see your point. I think the question is why doesn't DL give HVCs more incentive to continue flying with them once they've already hit DM? i.e. additional RUCs or GUCs after hitting 175k and 250k MQM
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Well I am there. Three more flights. This month but Diamond is done by March 31.

I am thinking AA at this point - UA really does suck and given their changes I can't see rewarding them with business even though I could probably still make 1k. It kind of sucks that DL won't reward further flying - I would honestly rather have GUC's than status on another airline.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by onebobobo
I can see your point. I think the question is why doesn't DL give HVCs more incentive to continue flying with them once they've already hit DM? i.e. additional RUCs or GUCs after hitting 175k and 250k MQM
Absolutely a good idea. RUCs, especially, cost them nothing but some agent time to apply. Even a points boost or something simple (like Bonvoy's suite nights at 50 and 75) would be nice.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
All of this is true - except the "less benefits". UA has the same benefits (indeed a few more) but their airline sucks compared to DL,

I am also thinking about AA. They fly direct DEN-ORD as well. As a bonus I would get upgrades more frequently than now. The outbound would be a lock (all DL flights out of DEN I get upgraded). With DL its the connection problem. I can fly to LAX, SEA, SLC, ATL, DTW, MSP, JFK and LGA direct. Connecting any where else adds three hours to the flight normally. That is just not doable anymore. I did do that for a several years when I didn't have kids as I had time to kill and flying on a saturday morning wasn't a huge issue.

I do think the lifetime MM perks are WAY better on UA. I have MM status on DL. Silver..... whoopee.. Based on my flights I think I could earn MM on UA and 2MM on DL in the next four to five years. It won't be that long until I retire/slow down and personal travel becomes a bigger deal than work. I suspect having the multi-million miler would be bonus then. I could see having 3MM on DL would maybe be a bit better (platinum for life) but I worry that the airlines will take aim at that stuff too. Its not like the status is guaranteed.
Note that on DL, LT PM requires 4MM, not 3MM.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
How would they handle rollover MQM’s then? I think roll over mqms are the incentive that they offer. And I think a vast majority of medallions value that benefit.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:54 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Suppose someone got 375K MQMs by the end of 2020, 250k should rollover into 2021, would another 125k rollover into 2022? [I like investigating "interesting" what-ifs.]
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:53 pm

If you hit the MQD waiver, then yes.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Roll over MQM's are not useful to me. I have had a large number of rollover miles for several years. That's great, but I still have to hit the spend requirements. Spending 15k means I will see at least 125k in miles - so the rollover is moot.

I like the extra GUC's though. The problem there? I can only use them on myself and one other person. With a family of 5 it doesn't help all that much. If I have 10 that is 5 trips with one other person. Even with a heavy travel schedule I do not see that happening.

I am beginning to wonder if I should just buy J and be a free agent. The miles are not worth much and with most of my travel being INTL it doesn't really matter. Amex and Chase both make this possible through their travel portals. I could just focus on earning points with them and use them in a much less restrictive manner.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nrr
Suppose someone got 375K MQMs by the end of 2020, 250k should rollover into 2021, would another 125k rollover into 2022? [I like investigating "interesting" what-ifs.]
I’m curious - is this the MQM rollover policy?
Old Apr 19, 2020, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sort of but the post is wrong: Assuming that the person earned DM for 2020 (375,000 MQMs is certainly enough, but the person also would have needed $15,000 MQDs or the DM MQD waiver), the person would have DM through January 2022 and all 375,000 MQMs from the end of 2020 would rollover into 2021 and under current rules, if the person earns the MQDs (or waiver) for DM during 2021, then 250,000 MQMs would rollover into 2022.
metalblaze likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sort of but the post is wrong: Assuming that the person earned DM for 2020 (375,000 MQMs is certainly enough, but the person also would have needed $15,000 MQDs or the DM MQD waiver), the person would have DM through January 2022 and all 375,000 MQMs from the end of 2020 would rollover into 2021 and under current rules, if the person earns the MQDs (or waiver) for DM during 2021, then 250,000 MQMs would rollover into 2022.
Thanks for the explanation. If someone is DM now (in 2020), and re-qualifies for DM again *before* end of 2020, under the current DL rules, would they be eligible for DM Choice Benefits?
Old Apr 19, 2020, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
Roll over MQM's are not useful to me. I have had a large number of rollover miles for several years. That's great, but I still have to hit the spend requirements. Spending 15k means I will see at least 125k in miles - so the rollover is moot.

I like the extra GUC's though. The problem there? I can only use them on myself and one other person. With a family of 5 it doesn't help all that much. If I have 10 that is 5 trips with one other person. Even with a heavy travel schedule I do not see that happening.

I am beginning to wonder if I should just buy J and be a free agent. The miles are not worth much and with most of my travel being INTL it doesn't really matter. Amex and Chase both make this possible through their travel portals. I could just focus on earning points with them and use them in a much less restrictive manner.
For DL at least, if you can afford to always buy J, it's a better value prop than DM unless you get 360 -- since J/D1 gives you the same perks.

If you go to AA or another Oneworld carrier there is some differentiation afforded those who travel the most (since Oneworld Emerald provides F lounge access in any class which has some value).

For spend going via Chase or AMEX also insulates you from FFP devaluation.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by metalblaze
Thanks for the explanation. If someone is DM now (in 2020), and re-qualifies for DM again *before* end of 2020, under the current DL rules, would they be eligible for DM Choice Benefits?
You get one set of DM Choice Benefits for each year that you qualify for DM. If you qualify for DM again before the end of 2020 you will get another set and can choose them right away if you wanted*, but they will be the set associated with your 2021 status (you won't get another set in 2021, unless you qualify again in 2021, and so on)

*Of course this only makes sense for some of the choices, see past threads about choice benefits.
metalblaze likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Duke787
+1. These threads sometimes confuse me. What's the point of re-qualifying for Diamond if you aren't going to use the benefits? There may not be added incentive but surely the whole point of qualifying for Diamond was because the Diamond benefits (and flying on DL) is superior to EXP/AA or 1K/UA
i agree completely....the whole point of earning status is to enjoy the earned benefits....i still end up earning top status in 2 different airline programs every year but that is because i don't have a choice....all my preferred travel is on dl or skyteam but since i live in india i am forced to fly ai or star alliance within the country & to certain international destinations....

dl had a codeshare agreement with 9w in india before 9w went under about a year ago but they were getting the majority of my business when they were operating since i wanted to credit as much as possible to dl....if dl were to get another partner in india then i would switch over to them as much as i can....
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:12 am

Wait, you're saying the whole point of earning top airline status isn't to just brag about it on FT and collect them like badges????
olegator likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.