Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Requalifying for Diamond by March, what to do?

Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:23 am
Original Poster

So after doing the calculations I should be re qualified for diamond by March 31st. Is there any incentive to continue flying DL after that? I do not think the rollover MQM's are much of an incentive - its not like I don't fly enough each year to get the status.

I am thinking it might be useful to switch to another program and build status there as well (I am currently platinum with UA). I am almost certain I could hit the 1k qualifications in about six months. I know UA issues additional GPU's for mileage beyond the 100k that are required. Does DL Do anything like that?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
You're missing probably the most important question here around whether another carrier will work for you.

If you live in East Manhattan and both EWR and JFK are roughly equally convenient, I'd say sure.

If you live in the middle of nowhere and have to connect to get anywheres anyway, I'd say sure (with an asterisk on United's reliability - which, while it has gotten MUCH better the past 4 years, still isn't at Delta's level - but as a Platinum you already know that).

If you live in MSP or ATL? Good luck with that, unless almost all of your travel is international to secondary cities and requires at least one stop anyways.

If the above is true.. I think it is a no-brainer to try to maintain status on both United and Delta. More upgrade certificates, more award options, and so on.

I would actually argue whether it would make sense for you to concentrate your flying on United to get Global Services there as United GS is actually useful (as opposed to DL360 which is kind of useless).
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Prem, UA Silver, Delta GM
I asked a similar things about hotels and was told more than one status is dumb, etc, etc. But in reality other than rollover once you hit Diamond there isn't much added benefit. Having flown many airlines in the US, I personally still am more comfortable with IRROPS and seats/treatment with Delta but that's me.

You're aware of the new UA changes? I've been eyeing them based on a potential move, and the new changes ... well, change things.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The standard question is usually why did you pick Delta in the first place? Presumably DL offers better timed or cheaper flights, or you get a lot of value out of using your Medallion benefits. All of those still apply after making Diamond. Going the multi-status route only makes sense if you are actually otherwise indifferent to your choice of carrier.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:48 am
Original Poster

I flew 1MM on DL, but I live in DEN. So I switched to UA about three years ago. UA is certainly convenient, but DL is a MUCH better airline. that being said, DL has zero reasons to fly beyond the 125k miles (and 15k).

The changes with UA are really silly. They have a similar partner scheme to DL, so most UA fliers are now busy booking INTL flights on partner airlines and crediting them to UA. The 54 flight requirement is really pretty easy and 18 k is not hard to reach with three premium economy trips on any *A partner.

With all the changes I might actually be able to qualify on AA too. I just picked UA first since I already have platinum from last year and I can pretty easily get 1k this year. AA offered to status match me though based on my diamond status with DL. I know, first world problems for sure but if I have to spend a large portion of my life in a pressurized metal tube at 35,000 feet I would like to maximize the rewards.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethernal
You're missing probably the most important question here around whether another carrier will work for you.

If you live in East Manhattan and both EWR and JFK are roughly equally convenient, I'd say sure.

If you live in the middle of nowhere and have to connect to get anywheres anyway, I'd say sure (with an asterisk on United's reliability - which, while it has gotten MUCH better the past 4 years, still isn't at Delta's level - but as a Platinum you already know that).

If you live in MSP or ATL? Good luck with that, unless almost all of your travel is international to secondary cities and requires at least one stop anyways.

If the above is true.. I think it is a no-brainer to try to maintain status on both United and Delta. More upgrade certificates, more award options, and so on.

I would actually argue whether it would make sense for you to concentrate your flying on United to get Global Services there as United GS is actually useful (as opposed to DL360 which is kind of useless).
GS is never gonna happen. To get that one has to fly 40k in spend a year. I cant see that honestly.

Two years ago 25k was the threshold. Now that is essentially 1k. UA is awful proud of their old fleet with angry employees.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rollover MQM is a reason for many to continue to fly DL after hitting DM and it's a feature unique to DL. While you may not have issues with hitting 125K MQM thresholds every year, it can be a challenge to hit on a regular basis every year for quite a few flyers.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:28 am

I know I am in the minority but I would switch to Southwest after hitting 125k MQMs as I like the free companion option they offer. But I fly strictly short-haul within the U.S.
manually likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
The standard question is usually why did you pick Delta in the first place? Presumably DL offers better timed or cheaper flights, or you get a lot of value out of using your Medallion benefits. All of those still apply after making Diamond. Going the multi-status route only makes sense if you are actually otherwise indifferent to your choice of carrier.
+1. These threads sometimes confuse me. What's the point of re-qualifying for Diamond if you aren't going to use the benefits? There may not be added incentive but surely the whole point of qualifying for Diamond was because the Diamond benefits (and flying on DL) is superior to EXP/AA or 1K/UA
Fishwiz, manually, pfreet and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
I am in the same position, hit DM spend by March or April. There's zero benefit to spend more than 15K. I'll do dual status and prob hit 1K with UA as well. My direct flights will be Delta, connections UA.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
+1. These threads sometimes confuse me. What's the point of re-qualifying for Diamond if you aren't going to use the benefits? There may not be added incentive but surely the whole point of qualifying for Diamond was because the Diamond benefits (and flying on DL) is superior to EXP/AA or 1K/UA
Flying DL is superior - sometimes.

It is not as easy to say that it always works like that though. I live in DEN, and that is a UA hub. Sometimes I don't want to fly DL and connect. UA allows for some direct flights when DL would be connection central. For instance, I fly from DEN to ORD often - and that on DL is a PITA. I also fly to Asia frequently. Now that partner airlines are the arbitrage I can easily spread around my flights (8 or so a year) and put up gawdy numbers for PQD/MQD while actually spending less and earn an extra four upgrade instruments while I am at it. Those are super handy when I fly with my family. UA also allows me to put my entire family in economy comfort. Something DL simply doesn't permit.

Given the difficulty using Regional/GUC's and the overall scarcity of upgrades domestically I am inclined to spread the wealth a bit and see if I cant use the 4 GUC equivalents I can get for flying three flights on UA rather than DL. Its not like DL is giving me anything for those flights.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
GS is never gonna happen. To get that one has to fly 40k in spend a year. I cant see that honestly.

Two years ago 25k was the threshold. Now that is essentially 1k. UA is awful proud of their old fleet with angry employees.
If you're hitting Diamond in March.... that's $60K in annualized spend. So not sure why $40K would be hard on United unless their flights are majority cheaper? Or you're doing $250K on your Reserve?
ijgordon likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bretthexum
I am in the same position, hit DM spend by March or April. There's zero benefit to spend more than 15K. I'll do dual status and prob hit 1K with UA as well. My direct flights will be Delta, connections UA.
Well, that presumes you also have the MQM's to go along with the spend requirement. I'm sure that are people that have no trouble meeting spend, but may take some additional flying to meet the MQM requirement (which is likely the idea of requiring both -- to keep you loyal even after you have already hit the spend requirement).
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethernal
If you're hitting Diamond in March.... that's $60K in annualized spend. So not sure why $40K would be hard on United unless their flights are majority cheaper? Or you're doing $250K on your Reserve?
I hit it on partner flights with a couple of asia trips in PE. UA isn't awarding GS for partner flights like that. I am pretty sure to hit GS one has to actually spend 40k+ on UA direct.

Wouldnt it be great if partner flights did do that? Then I would be the guy SDC to a different flight and stealing the upgrade from a 1k.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
UA also allows me to put my entire family in economy comfort. Something DL simply doesn't permit.
UA also allows everyone on your reservation free SDC, which I wish DL did. However, no companion CPUs on award tickets on UA (and you have to hold a UA cc for yourself).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.