Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2020 and Beyond]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2020 and Beyond]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2021, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
According to the article, a whole lot of people got those vouchers.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:16 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Overbooking compensation TLV JFK

New Delta customer (normally BA)...appears TLV JFK flghts are full these days. Would like input as I a single traveller and if overbooked, what normally happens re taking another flight? compensation? upgrade to higher class? I am a Gold Medallion from BA tier match flying in Economy on this flight with onward segments. Just curious in case a request is made by staff. Would one raise this at the check in desk pre boarding?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:29 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
As a non Medallion, you will not be upgraded to a higher class (OPUPS generally go to elites)..
You'll be accommodated on next/alternative flights, and will get compensation (could be $200 could be $1500) if you volunteer in an oversold situation.
There is a big thread on VDB compensation on the Delta forum somewhere.
Generally, I ask to be added to volunteer list with the gate agent, not the check-in agent in my experience, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask at check in.
testycal likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by testycal
New Delta customer (normally BA)...appears TLV JFK flghts are full these days. Would like input as I a single traveller and if overbooked, what normally happens re taking another flight? compensation? upgrade to higher class? I am a Gold Medallion from BA tier match flying in Economy on this flight with onward segments. Just curious in case a request is made by staff. Would one raise this at the check in desk pre boarding?
I don't understand your question -- are you worried about getting bumped or are you angling for a freebie? I don't think you're going to get bumped.

Israel has compensation requirements if you get bumped coming out of TLV which are not inexpensive for the airline
Old Jul 15, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I don't understand your question -- are you worried about getting bumped or are you angling for a freebie? I don't think you're going to get bumped.

Israel has compensation requirements if you get bumped coming out of TLV which are not inexpensive for the airline
This. I believe Israeli DB compensation is considered more problematic than even EU. (By airlines anyway)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 5:37 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Originally Posted by FlyAO2

angling for freebie if opportunity presents.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
DEN-LAX yesterday. DL 2661. Sought 2 passengers to go 2.5 hours later. $200 = no takers, $400 = no takers. $500 = takers. Not sure if they ended up needing them or not.
My flight DEN-SEA sought 2 passengers. 1st offer was $500 and had takers. Ended up not needing them as we had 2 no-shows.
LoganFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:48 am

Busy and now very profitable week of travel for me. Flight yesterday was oversold by 10 and went to $1000 to get enough volunteers. Wound up taking 8. Next flight was 3 hours later and oversold by 5 and I volunteered again for $500. Had 7 no shows so flight went out with empty seats. Redcoat said it was the first time that airport had oversold flights since COVID started. She was walking the gate agent through the process since she been there a year and had never done this before.
Spiff, kyushuman, CO-PLAT and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Bumped twice flying ATL-ROA on 9/8/21.

Both flights had weight limit issues so they needed several seats.

$500 on the first bump and $600 on the second bump. Mrs. Watchful also so our total was $2,200.
Plus dinner voucher and breakfast voucher and nice hotel.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Got bumped twice and upgraded on 10/10/21

Originally booked on the 3p BOS-LAX which was over by 3. $650 and rebooked on the 6:30p nonstop. (Other 2 volunteers got rerouted through SLC and MSP)

The 6:30p was also over by 3. Got $1,000, dinner and breakfast vouchers, hotel, and D1 on the nonstop the next morning! (The other 2 volunteers got Main cabin)
Spiff, LoganFlyer, CO-PLAT and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: DL - PM
10/17, BOI-ATL oversold by 6. Bid $800 during online check-in. Before even talking to an agent they had backed me up on a later connecting flight, including confirmed upgrades, arriving five hours later. I ended up accepting and they needed all six of us.
Spiff and LoganFlyer like this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by b_77W
Got bumped twice and upgraded on 10/10/21

Originally booked on the 3p BOS-LAX which was over by 3. $650 and rebooked on the 6:30p nonstop. (Other 2 volunteers got rerouted through SLC and MSP)

The 6:30p was also over by 3. Got $1,000, dinner and breakfast vouchers, hotel, and D1 on the nonstop the next morning! (The other 2 volunteers got Main cabin)
How did you get D1 and the others only main cabin? You were the first volunteer or your status was higher or your fare class was higher?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Ordhater
10/17, BOI-ATL oversold by 6. Bid $800 during online check-in. Before even talking to an agent they had backed me up on a later connecting flight, including confirmed upgrades, arriving five hours later. I ended up accepting and they needed all six of us.
Interesting. Do you know what the others bid? Volunteers usually all get the same compensation. If you bid $800 and the last guy was given $1,000, they give all volunteers $1,000.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:55 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Whenever I volunteer I always ask for first class on the next flight. They've "upgraded" me every single time with one exception.
IndyHoosier, Ordhater and b_77W like this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Interesting. Do you know what the others bid? Volunteers usually all get the same compensation. If you bid $800 and the last guy was given $1,000, they give all volunteers $1,000.
Mine was the high bid so that's what everyone got. My colleague also volunteered without making a specific bid and he got $800 as well.
Spiff and CO-PLAT like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.