Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Maximum time luggage can be checked through between flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maximum time luggage can be checked through between flights?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: LH, DL
[QUOTE=flyerCO;34269020]correct. Over 12 hours between DL flights should require recheck. An agent can (if willing) override up to 24hrs.[ /QUOTE]

For an international DL flight with European short haul AF flight first thenwith 14 hour overnight connecting to DL there was no question that bags stayed and No recheck was needed.
Old May 21, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by BHammy
As mentioned, 6 hour connection, the Delta system kicks out as you will have to collect your baggage. It requires an over-ride to go beyond that...24 hours for int'l connection and 12 for domestic as I understand it, but have yet to see in black and white.

My hometown CHA airport RedCoat knows how to override this on my TPAC connections, but the D1 agent in LAX did not. Nor LAX RedCoat, nor supervisor, but then ....after 45 minutes...an IT manager walks by and says that can have up to a 24 hour layover in SYD (LAX-BNE via SYD) and types on the computer for 2 minutes and all done. The whole time, the original gate agent (and agent support) adamantly promising me that anything over 6 hours COULD NOT BE DONE.

So there is a serious problem of counter agents knowing how to do this. I have an open ticket with Delta to firm up their Int'l CoC to provide specific time frames as they used to, but as of two years ago, have conveniently deleted.
Ah, for the days of handwritten baggage checks, when TAs had to know the rules, rather than relying on the computer to do things ("the computer says you have to re-check your bag at Detroit, so that's that!"). Yeah, mechanization reduces costs and probably cuts down on misdirected bags, but it can be a hassle in edge cases like these.
Old May 21, 2022, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
[QUOTE=GMTmin8;34269248]
Originally Posted by flyerCO
correct. Over 12 hours between DL flights should require recheck. An agent can (if willing) override up to 24hrs.[ /QUOTE]

For an international DL flight with European short haul AF flight first thenwith 14 hour overnight connecting to DL there was no question that bags stayed and No recheck was needed.
That's different because you're initially checking the bag with AF. IME AF/KLM agents assume that for any connection (under 24 hours) you want the bag to be checked through. You need to tell the explicitly if you want to get the bag back for an overnight at CDG/AMS.
Old May 21, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
[QUOTE=GMTmin8;34269248]
Originally Posted by flyerCO
correct. Over 12 hours between DL flights should require recheck. An agent can (if willing) override up to 24hrs.[ /QUOTE]

Correct. Its when you're going DL to DL the shorter limit applies.. Anything else can be up to 23.59hrs long.. DL can also if agent knows how and is willing to do it. Basically they just have to address next DL flight onto tag like if was a separate ticket.

Also note, if checking in with OAL the 12 hour limit DL to DL won't be issue. DL programs their systems to short check over 12 hour connection.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:32 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Agent at the DL One kiosk at JFK T4 informed me after trying that she couldn’t through-check my bag to HNL and, as promised, I thanked her for trying and went on my way. Thanks again for the information.

[6/17 update]
My HNL-MSP-LGA trip went pear shaped this morning when MSP-LGA was cancelled and I got auto-rebooked HNL-SLC-DTW-LGA. I was able to find a MSP-JFK flight with a nine hour layover to preserve my DeltaOne leg and the nice agent at HNL didn't blink an eye when I asked her to through check my bag to JFK.

[7/6 update] I’m flying the same JFK-LAX-HNL itinerary as last month and this time, I was able to get an agent who was willing to through-check my bag to HNL.
willoL likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 6, 2022 at 6:07 pm
Old Jan 17, 2023, 4:25 am

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
Hello!
I just asked at Delta checkin in SLC if I could short check bags to CDG on a future reservation SLC-CDG-FRA with a 9h30m connection in CDG (not overnight). The response was that this would not be possible as “people buy tickets to somewhere cheaper and then try to get off early”. I just want access to my belongings in CDG.

So am I really at the mercy of the checkin agent or is there any clear cut rule I could refer to which would allow me to short check my baggage?
Old Jan 17, 2023, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by David7
Hello!
I just asked at Delta checkin in SLC if I could short check bags to CDG on a future reservation SLC-CDG-FRA with a 9h30m connection in CDG (not overnight). The response was that this would not be possible as “people buy tickets to somewhere cheaper and then try to get off early”. I just want access to my belongings in CDG.

So am I really at the mercy of the checkin agent or is there any clear cut rule I could refer to which would allow me to short check my baggage?
If this was between DL flights, you could short check if over 6 hours. However AFAIK there's no such policy for DL-OAL. You can mention it is over 6 hours so you should be able (not mentionmentioning anything else).. It may or may not work..
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:51 am

checked baggage rules on multi-leg itineraries?

Wife and I will shortly be taking a round trip on Delta Airlines from the US to an overseas destination. It's a two-leg trip on the way out (US city A to US city B to foreign city C), and a two-leg trip on the way back (foreign city C to US city B to US city A). I have two questions.

#1:
On the outbound trip, there's an overnight layover in US city B. Will we able to collect our checked luggage after the first flight so we'll have it with us in the hotel room, and then recheck it the next morning for the international leg? I tried calling Delta's customer service line, but they didn't seem able to give me a very definitive/clear answer.

#2:
There's also an overnight layover on the return trip. Our hometown is positioned between US city A and US city B. During the return trip from foreign city C, I know we will have to pick up our checked bags in US city B and bring them through customs ourselves. We plan to sleep at home in our own bed that night, leave our luggage at home, and then return to the airport the next day for the final flight from US city B to US city A (and then drive home from US City A). Will Delta get upset if we don't check any bag for that final flight, despite having checked bags for the previous flight? I would ask Delta about this, but I don't want to give them any reason to suspect that we might be planning on skiplagging (we're not).

Thanks...
Old Aug 3, 2023, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk! I'm going to move this to our Delta forum.

chgoeditor
co-mod, Info Desk
Old Aug 3, 2023, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
OP: DL will not care if you do not check bags in for the B => A segment.

If you have a lot of miles and/or status with DL, you are right to be concerned about skip-lagging, although I suspect that it could be less of an issue on an overnight connection. People oversleep all the time.

Don't know whether DL will short-check your bags on the outbound. Just ask when you check in for the first flight, and plan to have a carry-on or two with whatever you need for the overnight. (That's always good advice anyway, as checked bags can be delayed, mis-routed, etc.)
Old Aug 3, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
DL won’t let you check bags that stay at the airport for the overnight. You’ll have to pick them up at the outbound.

Lots of details missing that could be helpful. Some options to consider just in case they fit your situation:
1) fly aaa-bbb with no bags. Go home and then check them at bbb the next day.
2) fly the the outbound routing as ticketed. On the return get off at bbb, go home and don’t fly bbb-aaa. There are threads on this already that describe the various caveats. Pls read them and apply as appropriate
3) if there’s a significant schedule change, call in and see if you can be reticketed bbb-ccc-bbb only. You have to talk to an agent. It depends on a variety of factors, including aaa-bbb distance. Look up threads that discuss schedule change Saturday to see what people have made possible.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
You should be fine along with the good suggestions above.

You should ask the check-in agent to short-check the bag and they should given the overnight connection (I believe DL has some policy about the layover time required for short-checking and you can find it). Otherwise you could run into a problem if you are flying into say ATL Terminal E where there is no way to walk out with a checked bag, you're forced to re-check the bag at Terminal E -- unless it's short-checked to ATL as the final.

I don't think that would be an issue at any other DL hub -- but it is an issue for ATL E
Old Aug 3, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Honestly it's probably agent dependent. I've through checked on separate reservations that are short and long layovers, and I checked through a 16 hour LHR layover last year; the bags just went into storage in the system and were pulled out a few hours before the flight (always safe to be asking the agent at the airport to check on it, though). It's a manual process for through-checking, though, so some agents may not know or want to do it. That being said, under 24 hours it shouldn't be a problem. Over 24 hours, I'd want my bag anyway if I'm spending the night somewhere.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by transpecific
Wife and I will shortly be taking a round trip on Delta Airlines from the US to an overseas destination. It's a two-leg trip on the way out (US city A to US city B to foreign city C), and a two-leg trip on the way back (foreign city C to US city B to US city A). I have two questions.

#1:
On the outbound trip, there's an overnight layover in US city B. Will we able to collect our checked luggage after the first flight so we'll have it with us in the hotel room, and then recheck it the next morning for the international leg? I tried calling Delta's customer service line, but they didn't seem able to give me a very definitive/clear answer.
Yes - you can do this. Just ask to have the bag short-checked (the system may force it anyway) and ensure the bag claim shows "City B" as the destination at which point you will claim at City B, have for the overnight layover, and then recheck (have retagged) for the flight to Foreign City the next day. I did this on a trip to ICN last summer. Flew DAY-ATL in the evening and had an overnight layover at ATL. Bag was short-checked to ATL. I claimed my bag at ATL baggage claim then went to the hotel for my overnight stay. Rechecked the bag for the ATL-ICN leg the next day.

Originally Posted by transpecific
#2:
There's also an overnight layover on the return trip. Our hometown is positioned between US city A and US city B. During the return trip from foreign city C, I know we will have to pick up our checked bags in US city B and bring them through customs ourselves. We plan to sleep at home in our own bed that night, leave our luggage at home, and then return to the airport the next day for the final flight from US city B to US city A (and then drive home from US City A). Will Delta get upset if we don't check any bag for that final flight, despite having checked bags for the previous flight? I would ask Delta about this, but I don't want to give them any reason to suspect that we might be planning on skiplagging (we're not).

Thanks...
This may depend on what city "US City B" is. If it's ATL, this could be problematic because of the way international arrivals & connections are set-up and depending on which concourse you arrive at though if it's an overnight layover, you should also be able to ask for a short-check again so that even if "US City B" is ATL, you will be treated as arriving at ATL and your bag will be treated as arriving at ATL as its final destination and your bags will be sent to appropriate baggage claim coming off your international arrival. In this scenario, ensure "US City B" shows as the destination on the baggage tag when you check-in at Foreign City C.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Aug 4, 2023 at 8:04 am
Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
This may depend on what city "US City B" is. If it's ATL, this could be problematic because of the way international arrivals & connections are set-up and depending on which concourse you arrive at though if it's an overnight layover, you should also be able to ask for a short-check again so that even if "US City B" is ATL, you will be treated as arriving at ATL and your bag will be treated as arriving at ATL as its final destination and your bags will be sent to appropriate baggage claim coming off your international arrival. In this scenario, ensure "US City B" shows as the destination on the baggage tag when you check-in at Foreign City C.
If it's an overnight layover after arriving internationally, couldn't you just grab the bags at customs and walk out with them anyway? I remember doing this in SEA once (several years ago); while SEA was my end point, we were supposed to drop our bags to reclaim at bag claim after customs, and instead we just walked out with them. There was no issue and nothing actually stopping us from doing so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.