Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Maximum time luggage can be checked through between flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador

What is the maximum time that Delta can hold on to checked luggage between flights?

I'm planning my (elderly) parents' itinerary, and Delta.com is giving options for 12~15h connecting time in SEA (ICN-SEA-PSC). Would the bags need to be taken out of the airport, or can they be dropped off at the connecting flight baggage drop in SEA, even with that many hours connecting time? I figured that they can possibly rest at a hotel in that amount of time, rather than be rushed with a two hour connecting time. But if they have to lug bags around, perhaps the 2 hour connection might be better.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Gold; BW Diamond Select, Hilton Diamond
Airlines will check bags to the destination as the default, even with an overnight layover. You could ask them to check only to the layover if you want to pickup the bags. I suggest the parents carry one nights clothing in a small carry-on and check the rest. We did that approach just fine with a 12 hour overnight layover in CDG, of course this was one PNR.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by smf_ltn
Airlines will check bags to the destination as the default, even with an overnight layover. You could ask them to check only to the layover if you want to pickup the bags. I suggest the parents carry one nights clothing in a small carry-on and check the rest. We did that approach just fine with a 12 hour overnight layover in CDG, of course this was one PNR.
I disagree. While AF/KLM will check bags through with up to 24 hours (connection on an international itinerary) and I don't know how KE handles this, IIRC the DL rule is approximately 8 hours. I'm sure someone here knows the exact details of the current rule, but AFAIK DL won't check the bags through for a 12-15 hour connection.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL at domestic airports between DL operated flights go by over 12 hrs must collect, over 6 can collect or check through.

Now when checking in at ICN I believe it will tag all the way. As long as the tag says PSC then can simply drop on recheck belt and go.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: Delta PM, National Exec. Elite
A similar question was asked recently. In MSP you're limited to 7 hours. I've experienced this several times in the last year.

My layover was 8-10 hours and I was forced to claim my luggage and then recheck the luggage when I was within 7 hours of my next departure. And... This is at a Delta hub, I'm guessing they have less storage capacity at non-hub locations.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Fishwiz
A similar question was asked recently. In MSP you're limited to 7 hours. I've experienced this several times in the last year.

My layover was 8-10 hours and I was forced to claim my luggage and then recheck the luggage when I was within 7 hours of my next departure. And... This is at a Delta hub, I'm guessing they have less storage capacity at non-hub locations.
Never ever heard of a 7 hour rule or it changing by hub.

The CoC says the rule is as flyerco says; option to reclaim for 6-12 hour connection, must reclaim over 12 hours. For the option, it must be declared prior to checking so the bag tag reflects the destination airport.

Only exception airports in the CoC to this blanket rule are AMS and CDG where they can hang onto the bags for an up to 24 hour connection.

And SEA is a DL hub so storage capacity at non-hubs is irrelevant; very very few customers would have connections at non-hubs (that’s the main purpose of a hub after all) so again, non-hub storage capacity is irrelevant.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Fishwiz

Its 6. However the agent must know tmhow to tell system to override the system for over 6. Otherwise system defaults to short checking when checking in domestically.
btonkid12345 and BHammy like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by hikouki
What is the maximum time that Delta can hold on to checked luggage between flights?

I'm planning my (elderly) parents' itinerary, and Delta.com is giving options for 12~15h connecting time in SEA (ICN-SEA-PSC). Would the bags need to be taken out of the airport, or can they be dropped off at the connecting flight baggage drop in SEA, even with that many hours connecting time? I figured that they can possibly rest at a hotel in that amount of time, rather than be rushed with a two hour connecting time. But if they have to lug bags around, perhaps the 2 hour connection might be better.
You know your parents better than me, but if you ask KL/DL to provide wheelchair assist in Seattle, they will not have any problem making a two hour connection on most days. The assist people will help speed them through the customs routine in a preferred line.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
I called the Medallion phone line and asked about this. The online booking system just keeps spitting out options with 12, 15 or even 20+ hours connecting time. The agent refused to name a number of minimum connecting time, but said that all the numbers above are considered "overnight" connections (even though some are daytime connections). Hence, bags would have to be taken out of the airport and re-check land-side.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
You know your parents better than me, but if you ask KL/DL to provide wheelchair assist in Seattle, they will not have any problem making a two hour connection on most days. The assist people will help speed them through the customs routine in a preferred line.
Yup, planning on doing just that. Thanks for the advice!
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hikouki
I called the Medallion phone line and asked about this. The online booking system just keeps spitting out options with 12, 15 or even 20+ hours connecting time. The agent refused to name a number of minimum connecting time, but said that all the numbers above are considered "overnight" connections (even though some are daytime connections). Hence, bags would have to be taken out of the airport and re-check land-side.

Yup, planning on doing just that. Thanks for the advice!
This isnt suprising. Agents arent taught much about these things nowadays.

I checked in at JNB recently and nags tagged all the way to IAH, despite 23.50 connection at AMS . Agent insisted you cant leave bags and I would have to pickup despite being tagged. Called the supervisor over and she promptly corrected agent.

If the bag is tagged, you are good. After you arrive and clear customs, simply drop the bag at the rechecl belt. It may actually get there before you, as there's no bag matching on US domestic flights. Thus they'll a lot of time simply send it on ahead.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Its 6. However the agent must know tmhow to tell system to override the system for over 6. Otherwise system defaults to short checking when checking in domestically.
This. If the connection exceeds 6 hours the agent must manually through-check the bag as the system will usually try and short check it. It can require some polite pushback and getting a red coat involved. I’ve had agents through check without me asking if the connection was just over 6 hours, but on my last 8 hr domestic-international connection in MSP I had to insist it could be done.
BHammy likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
As mentioned, 6 hour connection, the Delta system kicks out as you will have to collect your baggage. It requires an over-ride to go beyond that...24 hours for int'l connection and 12 for domestic as I understand it, but have yet to see in black and white.

My hometown CHA airport RedCoat knows how to override this on my TPAC connections, but the D1 agent in LAX did not. Nor LAX RedCoat, nor supervisor, but then ....after 45 minutes...an IT manager walks by and says that can have up to a 24 hour layover in SYD (LAX-BNE via SYD) and types on the computer for 2 minutes and all done. The whole time, the original gate agent (and agent support) adamantly promising me that anything over 6 hours COULD NOT BE DONE.

So there is a serious problem of counter agents knowing how to do this. I have an open ticket with Delta to firm up their Int'l CoC to provide specific time frames as they used to, but as of two years ago, have conveniently deleted.
Old May 21, 2022, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'm flying multi-city JFK-LAX-HNL on the same ticket with a 16 hour layover so I should assume that DL will only check my bag through to LAX and not have any expectation of a through-check option to HNL, correct?

TIA.
Old May 21, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I'm flying multi-city JFK-LAX-HNL on the same ticket with a 16 hour layover so I should assume that DL will only check my bag through to LAX and not have any expectation of a through-check option to HNL, correct?

TIA.
correct. Over 12 hours between DL flights should require recheck. An agent can (if willing) override up to 24hrs. You could also just leave bag at LAX (they'll pull to bag office) and pickup to recheck just before flight to HNL.
Old May 21, 2022, 1:28 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Thanks, I will ask nicely at JFK and not DYKWIA if told no. I'm staying at (and working from) the Hyatt LAX during my layover so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to schlep my checked bag to/from the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.