Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any tips on removing FF number from PDF receipt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG

I have been editing the PDF to remove my FF number when I submit receipts to the client for travel reimbursement. I asked Delta if there was an option to download without the number, but they confirmed there wasn't.

Does any have an easy way to remove the number? I'm at the point where I'm tempted to code an automated way of doing that chore.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe book your flights as a guest without a FFN and then add it in after you get the receipt?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL
Might as well fake the dollar amount too! Just kidding, what ijgordon suggested is the right approach. The same is true if you decide to FCM and don't want the client to see the F/J and think you're bamboozling them.

The other option is to use your CC receipt that often includes the ticket number and itinerary these days.

Edit: CC looks like this on Chase:

Chase CC receipt for an airfare

Last edited by paul21; Jan 20, 2020 at 3:41 pm
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Maybe book your flights as a guest without a FFN and then add it in after you get the receipt?
This works if the ticket isn't reissued for any reason. However, if the ticket is reissued, I would personally be nervous about submitting a receipt for reimbursement that isn't the ticket that was actually flown. If boarding passes are also required, note that the ticket number appears on the boarding pass and could lead to questions if it's not the same ticket number that's shown on the receipt.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paul21
Might as well fake the dollar amount too! Just kidding, what ijgordon suggested is the right approach. The same is true if you decide to FCM and don't want the client to see the F/J and think you're bamboozling them.
Ha! True point, that is why I make the edit obvious. All my invoices are subject to audit, so I like the itemized detail in the delta receipt vice the credit card charge.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depending on whether you have editing capabilities, it is easy to use the redaction tool to black out those characters. Takes a lot less time than all the suggested gimmicks, gives the client the correct receipt and clearly shows what is not being provided.

If you don't have such a tool, the old-fashioned route works too. Print the receipt, black out the # with a marker, and scan.

Agree with others than I would not submit anything to a client for reimbursement which is not the receipt for the ticket as flown.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Depending on whether you have editing capabilities, it is easy to use the redaction tool to black out those characters. Takes a lot less time than all the suggested gimmicks, gives the client the correct receipt and clearly shows what is not being provided.

If you don't have such a tool, the old-fashioned route works too. Print the receipt, black out the # with a marker, and scan.

Agree with others than I would not submit anything to a client for reimbursement which is not the receipt for the ticket as flown.
If you’re using a Mac, you can use Preview to make the edit and then save the PDF with the blackout. You can use the highlighter tool and then change the color to black. Re-save the PDF using the print-function (print to PDF) to prevent anyone from accessing that edit and removing/changing the color of the highlight/blockout I’d you’re really paranoid.
nancypants and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:32 pm

Do you use Chrome? You could simply right click on your frequent flyer number on the ‘view receipt’ page, select ‘Inspect’ and then either delete or replace the number with X’s. Then just print to a PDF.

Otherwise, you could buy Acrobat Pro to edit/redact PDFs — you might find the functionality useful for other things too.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:25 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
For PCs MS WORD can convert PDFs to WORD docs; this works if the original PDF is mostly ‘pure text’.
Even Adobe Pro has trouble with mixed fonts.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't anyone here nervous about submitting an "edited" receipt? I'd cover the number with a black market and then xerox it or even cut out the part of the piece of paper with my FF number before I'd edit or submit something with funky looking fonts.
AvalancheDog likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't anyone here nervous about submitting an "edited" receipt? I'd cover the number with a black market and then xerox it or even cut out the part of the piece of paper with my FF number before I'd edit or submit something with funky looking fonts.
I have thought about it and I make my edit the equivalent of using a sharpie on a receipt before making a copy of it. Unless the supplier/vendor provided you a cryptographically signed PDF, you can make a totally bogus receipt.

I keep records (e.g. credit card statements) that document the charges. Of course those can be faked also, but if I get audited and they suspect fraud, then the credit card company (or Delta) can be subpoenaed. So I make it clear that it was edited.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I think I would be nervous if I changed something material, like the date or price or connection, but to mask personal data in a document that gets shared among who knows how many computers doesn't give me pause. I think we are all more circumspect about sharing data now. I drop a black box on top of personal data, but I like rucksack's idea of XXX-ing out the data before print as well. Both show that something is missing, and if accounting or the client want to know, or see an unredacted copy, that is easily provided.
ijgordon, D582 and rucksack like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by film_girl
If you’re using a Mac, you can use Preview ...snip... anyone from accessing that edit and removing/changing the color of the highlight/blockout I’d you’re really paranoid.
Which is the process I'm trying to simplify.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by No_Name
Which is the process I'm trying to simplify.
Gotcha. Well, you could automate the saving as new file part really easily. As far as the other goes, assuming the receipts all have the same layout, you could use Automator's Watermark PDF Quick Action and modify it so that it’s applying a black box at full opacity to a specific offset location. And then in that same workflow automate the save-as/export behavior.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:19 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'd hesitate at editing. We've been instructed to black out PII since outsourcing our travel from in-house to Concur. The manual way is to print, Sharpie, and photo/scan. I'm personally okay with a screenshot of the BP with a similarly obvious redaction over the data.
lost_perspicacity likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.