Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New BP Scanners to Enforce Zones?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by estedman
All they have to do is board with the "need additional time people" as Delta won't ruffle those feathers. Just today I saw 3 women board when it was called, all appearing to perfectly healthy.
Therein lies the issue. You have no way to know anyone’s health problems based on an ocular patdown.
WillBarrett_68 and bon mot like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
12 could be DM sitting in C+.
Ahhh.. how lovely that you assume that DMs are usually sitting in C+!

I had an all Diamond row 36 a few weeks back on a 739.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
12 could be DM sitting in C+.
It doesn’t matter where they are sitting... as long as they are DM, they could be sitting in the middle seats at the back of the bus.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
it would always annoy me when 20 people board zone 1 (first class) on a plane with 8 f seats.
It did not annoy me (as a Diamond who sit most of the time in Y)
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by BradleyFlyer
I think just turning people away to the back of the line is sufficient enough punishment that, if universally enforced, will lead to an end of this problem.
I support this 100%.

About the pre-boarding peoples, It is very hard to tell who "fake" and who are in their right to use it.
Why not have a rules to solves this issue.
Most REAL pre-boarding always wait at the end to deplane (many wait for the wheelchair). In this case use a First in, last out.
I think we will see a "drop" in the pre-boarding line...
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
I support this 100%.

About the pre-boarding peoples, It is very hard to tell who "fake" and who are in their right to use it.
Most REAL pre-boarding always wait at the end to deplane (many wait for the wheelchair). In this case use a First in, last out.
The amount of seemingly healthy people pre-boarding has steadily gone up. I had a flight late last year where 20+ people "pre-boarded", almost all appearing healthy. I think to reduce the number of pre-boards, you should have to have something added to your ticket prior to departure or better yet when booking. Pre-boards should be placed at the back of the plane when possible, especially if they book BE. If it takes longer for board, in theory you will take longer to deplane and should be last to go.
FBplatinum and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by cre95
It doesn’t matter where they are sitting... as long as they are DM, they could be sitting in the middle seats at the back of the bus.
Right, many DMs would rather be in any aisle seat vs. a C+ middle or window.
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by cre95
It doesn’t matter where they are sitting... as long as they are DM, they could be sitting in the middle seats at the back of the bus..
The point is DM always board with first class (or business). They are not the one who try to board before their time...
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
I support this 100%.

How would you enforce this? Handcuff preorders to their seats?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by bgriff
UA has had this system for a while. It makes a loud unpleasant buzzer sound if you try to board early, for extra shaming.
which is promptly ignored by the majority of gate agents and the offender progresses onto the plane unimpeded
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Unfortunately I don't think the shaming stops some people. Although consistently sending them back might make them realize that it isn't worth trying.
I think this is the truth. The shaming won’t stop people, especially those that fly once a year. But sending people to the back and doing that consistently, it might take a long time, but that can become a learned behavior where people won’t board when it isn’t their zone because they know it won’t matter and they’ll get sent to the back. I’m a fan of that.

Of course, part of the reason this happens (in addition to people just not caring/wanting to get on the plane early for bin space) is that airlines change the boarding procedures so frequently and give so many different types of flyers some type of “priority” boarding, without explaining what it is. Priority boarding from an employer (putting you in a higher boarding group regardless of fare class) is different than Sky Priority, which is different than whatever boarding they now offer with SkyMiles Select. And people also think if they have Main Cabin 1, they are in the first boarding group (and not the sixth or seventh).

I’m not defending people that scam into earlier boarding zones (although I have to be honest and admit that when I traveled less, I was certainly guilty of this myself. Not boarding first or even second, but I definitely didn’t always board with my assigned group), but a big problem is how overly complicated the process is — and that’s at least in part because of how airlines try to sell early boarding as a bonus without actually being clear about what that means.

As for needs extra time passengers, I’m sure plenty of people take advantage of that, but I’m not going to judge people based on what I can see. If I’m honest, I’m much more bothered by families who don’t have car seats or strollers, boarding with families with young children, even though the kids are 8 or 9 years old and carrying their own bags.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think it would help a lot if the gate monitors were to consistently display the current boarding group, ideally in a standard format also indicating the next group or the entire prioritized sequence with the current group highlighted.

OTOH I fear that rigorous and consistent of boarding groups will just cause more people to scam pre-boarding. This includes the entire extended families boarding with kids long past the stroller/car seat stage, where IMO part of the problem is the failure to clearly and consistently define what a small child it--I think the answer is that one has purchased a seat in which a car seat will be installed.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How would you enforce this? Handcuff preorders to their seats?
No...

When you pre-board it is very easy to have a list (they must scan their boarding pass before all).
When it is only the remaining pre-board passenger left, you can see who have left.
You can take action on their next flight, (black list them to pre-board).
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:36 pm

If these are FOTSG people, their next flight will be next year, on Southwest or Frontier.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If these are FOTSG people, their next flight will be next year, on Southwest or Frontier.
Other suggestion...

You put their carry on in the last overhead bin (or even in a close cabinet).

Also the FA can collect their boarding pass (and give them only when they are deplaning), you can always say it is a question of security.

Next year they will not use the same "trick"... With time, we will reduce this pre-boarding lineup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.