Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather Delays???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Weather Delays???

So I'm in PNS going to ATL then on to MCO tonight. DL delays the 6:55PM PNS-ATL leg until 5:30AM tomorrow morning and say it is due to weather. There are planes taking off and landing in both ATL and PNS. I'm confused. Can anyone help clarify why the flight is essentially cancelled due to weather if the departing and arrival airports are operaional?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:50 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vinnmann
So I'm in PNS going to ATL then on to MCO tonight. DL delays the 6:55PM PNS-ATL leg until 5:30AM tomorrow morning and say it is due to weather. There are planes taking off and landing in both ATL and PNS. I'm confused. Can anyone help clarify why the flight is essentially cancelled due to weather if the departing and arrival airports are operaional?
I'm guessing your crew is stuck somewhere. The aircraft is in ATL.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TTT
It is strange, though. I checked the map at fly.faa.gov, and the entire thing is green except for EWR, which is yellow (and it seems to be about half the time, anyway). Even on flightaware.com, the only airports listed with a delay are in Australia and EWR (only at 23 mins).
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:23 pm

You could drive from Pensacola to Orlando in 5-6 hours.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
That may be accurate. However, is crew being available a weather issue? Also, they boarded the incoming flight ATL-PNS and then cancelled it. I cannot believe they planned on having a new crew for the ATL-PNS-ATL legs for this aircraft as it was the last 2 flights for that aircraft for the day. I'm guessing the crew at a minimum would have been scheduled for the end of the day's flights for the aircraft of ATL-ECP-ATL-PNS-ATL.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
You could drive from Pensacola to Orlando in 5-6 hours.
Not after my work got done early and I had a few cocktails at the airport bar. I was planning to Uber from MCO to my home.

Last edited by vinnmann; Jan 14, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:51 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However, is crew being available a weather issue?
Depends - if the crew was delayed by weather then yes.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TTT
Depends - if the crew was delayed by weather then yes.
Fair enough, but then that isn’t weather, that’s crew time-out which is the airline’s fault.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
Fair enough, but then that isn’t weather, that’s crew time-out which is the airline’s fault.
I agree. Not particular to my personal situation,but it brings up the question of other flights. If I'm scheduled ATL-MCO and my incoming SLC-ATL aircraft is delayed due to a blizzard in SLC, is my flight considered a weather delay?

Just to confirm, I did not start this thread with a bit+chy intention. Personally, I'm fine, have a hotel and will simply get home later than expected. I just don't get how airlines can just say "weather" and get off the hook.

After all this, I am wondering what really constitutes a weather delay. An airline can say incoming aircraft was delayed by weather.

Last edited by vinnmann; Jan 15, 2020 at 5:53 am
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:37 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
IME, an airline will quantify anything as weather if the root cause was the result of weather.

Not saying I agree with it but we've all seen them do it.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL DM
Airline Captain here:

Sounds like to me that the TAF (Terminal Aerodrome Forecast) dropped below legal minimums in PNS. This makes sense if they boarded the inbound ATL-PNS, then subsequently cancelled it. If the forecasted visibility at the time of arrival is not legal, the flight can not launch. In certain circumstances if the forecasted visibility is below minimums for only a "tempo" (meaning temporarily) then the flight can be dispatched with a second alternate, however based on the fog in NW Florida yesterday I highly doubt other airports were viable.

I used to live in ECP (about 75 miles east of PNS) and this happened a few times a year. I did a quick search and I think the same thing happened to TLH yesterday as well.

So bottomline, I would classify this as weather... not crew.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:45 am

It might actually be a whether delay. It depends on whether the crew shows up or not.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
After all this, I am wondering what really constitutes a weather delay. An airline can say incoming aircraft was delayed by weather.
IMO, airlines tend to go to great lengths to blame anything on weather. There may be several contributing causes to a delay, but if weather has any part (even if small) the airlines code the entire delay on weather. I remember a few years ago Delta had an IT outage which caused many flights to be cancelled, yet Delta blamed the cancellations on thunderstorms which occurred days before the IT outage.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Airline Captain here:

Sounds like to me that the TAF (Terminal Aerodrome Forecast) dropped below legal minimums in PNS. This makes sense if they boarded the inbound ATL-PNS, then subsequently cancelled it. If the forecasted visibility at the time of arrival is not legal, the flight can not launch. In certain circumstances if the forecasted visibility is below minimums for only a "tempo" (meaning temporarily) then the flight can be dispatched with a second alternate, however based on the fog in NW Florida yesterday I highly doubt other airports were viable.

I used to live in ECP (about 75 miles east of PNS) and this happened a few times a year. I did a quick search and I think the same thing happened to TLH yesterday as well.

So bottomline, I would classify this as weather... not crew.
The weather at PNS cleared up quickly after 6 pm CST. Actually it was worse with the fog and the flights actually arrived this morning! It sounds like a crew problem to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.