Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from F to C+ twice in a week; anyone else have this IT error?

Old Jan 14, 20, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite

Hi all -

Last week I had a one way domestic nonstop ticket. I was upgraded to F at the DM window.

After checking in on the app, I receive a notification en route to the airport that my seat has changed to 13C. I open the app and see myself cleared off the C+ list.

I never selected a C+ upgrade at booking - just F - and it did not ask me if I wanted to be on the C+ UG list because I was already in F.

I called the DM line and they cancelled 13C. Then I saw #1 from the F list cleared into the F seat assigned to me...

Get to check in and agent gives me 1B - the only other F seat open. The person who got my originally selected F seat was a GM, according to the check in agent.

Fast forward to today. Cleared into F at DM window and C+ not selected. One way Caribbean to US flight.

Agent checks me in and Iím added to the C+ list (didnít know as didnít have service or WiFi). Had BP for 2C. I am then cleared into C+ (13A) by the time I get to the gate. Again, never even selected C+ upgrade ever on this rez.

Tweet for a downgrade voucher and told that complimentary upgrades that are lost are not guaranteed, so no go. A call in (and 8 mins on hold for DM line) and an experienced agent issued me a downgrade voucher no problem.

But - would rather sit in my upgraded seat. WHY AM I GETTING PUT ON THE C+ GATE LIST, WHEN I NEVER EVEN SELECTED IT?! Is anyone else experiencing this right now? Phone agent said she will submit an IT ticket for both reservations.
Old Jan 15, 20, 12:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
I am a GM and got a C+ upgrade this week at the gold window despite unselecting the upgrade request. I'm ok with the seat I got so I'm going to leave it but it was weird.

I'm guessing these shenanigans have to do with the recent changes to seat type selection for C+ upgrades.
Old Jan 15, 20, 12:26 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
The automated UG system has always had multiple wired glitches dating back to when they changed the UG sweep for all flights at 5pm ATL time to the being exactly at T-120/72/24. I wish the wouldnít have changed it, we probably wouldnít be having all these issues as it seemed to work great and all UGs would usually clear at the same time.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 12:59 am

So you want a voucher for the free upgrade you didnt get?
noahnoahsmith likes this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mctaste View Post
Yeah that is wild. You are not entitled to a class of service you didn't pay for.
njf1003, Pittie Pup and mctaste like this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:19 am

This may be somewhat related but I noticed a change recently when de-selecting the request to F upgrades. If at booking I requested a F upgrade but un-select it later, the website it still shows I have requested an upgrade to F. It wasn't doing this last month but this month it has been doing that..
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by mctaste View Post
Well, OP did get it. Then someone took it away. So yea, OP actually got it for a bit.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
Yeah that is wild. You are not entitled to a class of service you didn't pay for.
So, nobody should get upgrades then? Unless they pay for them in cash?
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Well, OP did get it. Then someone took it away. So yea, OP actually got it for a bit.

So, nobody should get upgrades then? Unless they pay for them in cash?
That's why it's called a "complimentary upgrade". Just like Costco gives out complimentary samples. Are you going to demand a free package of cheese if they run out of samples when you reach the front of the line? You are not guaranteed something complimentary. Equipment swaps, inoperative seats, etc can all cause a downgrade. And anyone who was upgraded for free should be the first to be downgraded.
Bradhattan likes this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:29 am

That's why it's called a "complimentary upgrade". Just like Costco gives out complimentary samples. Are you going to demand a free package of cheese if they run out of samples when you reach the front of the line? You are not guaranteed something complimentary. Equipment swaps, inoperative seats, etc can all cause a downgrade. And anyone who was upgraded for free should be the first to be downgraded.
Actually, in the hospitality industry you are often "guaranteed" something that is listed as "complimentary".
For example, at Hyatt a globalist gets:
10 Base Points per eligible $1 USD spent, plus a Week of Wellbeing and complimentary classes when paying an eligible rate at any Hyatt hotel.
So, pay an eligible rate and you are "guaranteed" free classes.
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Actually, in the hospitality industry you are often "guaranteed" something that is listed as "complimentary".
For example, at Hyatt a globalist gets:
10 Base Points per eligible $1 USD spent, plus a Week of Wellbeing and complimentary classes when paying an eligible rate at any Hyatt hotel.
So, pay an eligible rate and you are "guaranteed" free classes.
When Delta starts guaranteeing free first class seats I'll stand behind anyone who qualifies and doesn't get it. But for now the complimentary upgrade program does not guarantee customers on coach fares a seat in F. So either be happy and consider it a nice surprise when you get a free upgrade or just pay for F like I and many others do.
Pittie Pup, mctaste and moondog like this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:49 am

Programs: DL
If the upgrade processor finds OU space for you, and something else later downgrades you (& itís not purely operational), any reasonable person would be peeved. I cannot believe that there is a debate on this being a problem. Unless thereís a legitimate operational reason (it happens, but doubtful here), you should not be arbitrarily downgraded.
Old Jan 15, 20, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dlflyer00 View Post
If the upgrade processor finds OU space for you, and something else later downgrades you (& itís not purely operational), any reasonable person would be peeved. I cannot believe that there is a debate on this being a problem. Unless thereís a legitimate operational reason (it happens, but doubtful here), you should not be arbitrarily downgraded.
Thank you. This should not be a debate at all, and if it is, please do so in a separate thread. It is totally OT IMHO, respectfully as the OP.

I am just saying that, in the first instance, they blocked 2 seats for me accidentally and almost denied someone else an UG. That sucks and that shouldnít be an externality of me being added to the C+ list (without asking for it, and while already being in F).

Has anyone else been in F but then added to the C+ list at check in? Perhaps Iím the red-headed step child, LOL.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by dlflyer00 View Post
Sure, anyone would be annoyed. But they would not be owed anything.
Old Jan 15, 20, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would probably complain to management if the employee ran out from behind the counter and snatched the sample they had given me out of my hands, just to give it to someone else.
aacar, Spiff, ethernal and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The corollary to this ridiculous view is that the airline should be free to take away complimentary upgrades that they begin granting at T-120h for any reason, including to sell to another customer for a higher fare or a higher-priced buy-up, because they wouldn't ever need to provide compensation and can just say, too bad so sad not guaranteed. That's a great way to run a business, you should apply for Ed Bastian's job.

NOBODY is claiming compensation should be provided for merely not receiving an upgrade.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: