Wiki Posts
Search

DL 89 Fuel Dump onto School LAX to PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
More snowflake exaggeration when the real damage is the cost of laundry (or dry cleaning, but I wouldn't expect many kids and teachers in an elementary school to be wearing dry clean only clothing in warm weather).
Inhaling kerosene and getting it in your eyes has been shown to be quite harmful.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Inhaling kerosene and getting it in your eyes has been shown to be quite harmful.
Not really much different than inhaling gasoline which we all do regularly when fueling our cars.

Not saying the fuel dump should have happened, but this really wasn’t some big disaster.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IBTL.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by defrosted
Really, what does race and income level matter in this situation? I submit it would be "upsetting" regardless of the color or income level of the folks getting fuel dumped over their heads. Of all the things (or lack thereof it may seem) going through the pilots mind, I highly doubt those were factors.
I don't think they're suggesting the pilot purposefully picked that community. There are systemic reasons why these people end up in that location, right in the approach path, where this is more likely to happen to them.

Though you might note that the plane did fly directly over much wealthier parts of LA (and at higher, safer altitudes) and didn't dump fuel there.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
Not really much different than inhaling gasoline which we all do regularly when fueling our cars.

Not saying the fuel dump should have happened, but this really wasn’t some big disaster.
In another thread a chemist explained the difference quite well. Atomized kerosene has a different density and properties than gasoline.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:02 am

You know I will say, if, God forbid, the plane had crashed and dumping the fuel had saved hundreds of lives, yet still caused the same problems to those effected by dumping of the fuel would we have found it acceptable?

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating dumping fuel over residential areas, or seemingly lying about it, I am just curious if the outcome of the emergency (plane didn't crash) changes the reactions to the fuel dump?
You shouldn't base your evaluation of a decision like this on the outcome. You should base it on the information that was available at the time to the people who made the decision.

Otherwise, you'd be saying that someone who bet his whole net worth on 00 on the roulette wheel was a genius IF it happened to hit.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Has there actually been any comment about why the crew dumped fuel, and whether it was deliberate? Definitely doesn't make a lot of sense given the statements to ATC it was not needed.

You know I will say, if, God forbid, the plane had crashed and dumping the fuel had saved hundreds of lives, yet still caused the same problems to those effected by dumping of the fuel would we have found it acceptable?

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating dumping fuel over residential areas, or seemingly lying about it, I am just curious if the outcome of the emergency (plane didn't crash) changes the reactions to the fuel dump?
No commercial aircraft takes off at a weight where it is unable to land safely. There was never a risk to life if the frame had landed overweight, so many of these comments just don't add up. Dumping or burning off fuel is to avoid non-catastrophic damage from landing overweight - e.g. in most non life-threatening situations, it is preferable to burn off or dump fuel to avoid an overweight landing, because otherwise the frame needs to be taken out of service to check it for damage from the landing. This was never a "dump fuel or people could die" kind of situation. If the desire was to dump and avoid an overweight landing, they would have been given directions to circle over the ocean to dump before returning to LAX, and this is literally what ATC asked if they wanted to do.

From Boeing, not Airbus, but a long technical article on landing weight: http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aer...icle_03_1.html
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Oh good lord. A compressor stall does not lead to a crash. It is a routine occurrence. And they followed the checklist and had the engine operating normally again. Of course you wouldn't continje the flight across the ocean but there was no pressing issue to land immediately. If they wanted to dump fuel they should have followed the regulations. They didn't. Trying to put of the blame on ATC grammar is just silly. The crew is supposed to know the requirements for fuel dumps. The poor crews of Alaska 261 and Valujet 592 were in actual danger and did a much better job of keeping ATC informed.
Do you know what all the failures were that the crew was faced with, and what checklists they were running? We can't speculate that there was no pressing reason to land immediately at this point, because no report has been released other than that the engine was suffering a compressor stall.

It was also reported that the crew brought the engine "under control" later, not that it was operating normally. They likely had the engine running at idle thrust, so they were effectively OEI at that point.

There are no published "requirements" for fuel dumps, where the word "MUST" or "SHALL" are used. You'll find the words "SHOULD" or "ARE ADVISED".
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Do you know what all the failures were that the crew was faced with, and what checklists they were running? We can't speculate that there was no pressing reason to land immediately at this point, because no report has been released other than that the engine was suffering a compressor stall.

It was also reported that the crew brought the engine "under control" later, not that it was operating normally. They likely had the engine running at idle thrust, so they were effectively OEI at that point.

There are no published "requirements" for fuel dumps, where the word "MUST" or "SHALL" are used. You'll find the words "SHOULD" or "ARE ADVISED".
Why wouldn't we have heard if there any other issues? Delta would surely have let us know if there was any way they could have avoided criticism. And why don't you trust the FAA's statement about the crew's decision? The days of the 'Sky God' are long gone and pilots must be held accountable for their actions.
defrosted likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Oh good lord. A compressor stall does not lead to a crash. It is a routine occurrence. And they followed the checklist and had the engine operating normally again. Of course you wouldn't continje the flight across the ocean but there was no pressing issue to land immediately. If they wanted to dump fuel they should have followed the regulations. They didn't. Trying to put of the blame on ATC grammar is just silly. The crew is supposed to know the requirements for fuel dumps. The poor crews of Alaska 261 and Valujet 592 were in actual danger and did a much better job of keeping ATC informed.
Firstly I wasn't saying the fuel dump was justified.
Secondly grammar isn't silly, if grammar causes confusion and confusion leads to a mistake then that should be taken very seriously.

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
You shouldn't base your evaluation of a decision like this on the outcome. You should base it on the information that was available at the time to the people who made the decision.

Otherwise, you'd be saying that someone who bet his whole net worth on 00 on the roulette wheel was a genius IF it happened to hit.
Exactly, but I am curious if that is what people are doing. Taking advantage of a situation because nothing bad happened to the plane. Point is if the plane had crashed would they still be raising such a stink about the effects of the dumped fuel. Maybe not, just asking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.