Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do I have to Use My Amex to get a Free Checked bag with Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Hi. New member here but lurked forever. I recently booked a flight with a Chase Sappire credit card on a Delta operated and marketed flight, but I also hold an Amex Platinum Skymiles credit card. I am booking a basic economy ticket on an international flight. I am wondering whether I have to use the delta CC to get the free checked bag? Last year, I got the free checked bag but I booked it with Delta. There's a bit of conflicting information on the T&C. In one part, there's no mention of having to use it but on another section it says that it has to be used.

I have reached out to Delta via twitter and customer service and everyone has said yep don't need to use it. Just wanted to follow up here to find out whether anyone has actually done it with success.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You don’t need to buy the ticket with the Delta Amex card.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
No firsthand knowledge to your question, but I'm surprised Beyonce is worried about checked bag fees
hhdl, mctaste and hotturnip like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13thandseven
No firsthand knowledge to your question, but I'm surprised Beyonce is worried about checked bag fees
HAHA. I mean, I am busy sending people free merchandise, I need to skimp somehow.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
You don’t need to buy the ticket with the Delta Amex card.
Thanks. Is from personal experience?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Beyonce
A search here will show that is how it works. Your Skymiles account is linked to your AMEX account. Thus you just need to have your DL FF# in reservation. Ie you can't have a FB # in reservation and get benefits because you bought the DL ticket with the AMEX.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beyonce
All that is required is that you have your Skymiles number on your reservation. The system is able to verify with Amex if you have an active Delta Amex card associated with your number and waives the fee. There's no requirement or check performed that the ticket was actually paid with the card.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
A search here will show that is how it works. Your Skymiles account is linked to your AMEX account. Thus you just need to have your DL FF# in reservation. Ie you can't have a FB # in reservation and get benefits because you bought the DL ticket with the AMEX.
Thanks for your response. I don't understand bolded part. Can you explain?

I also went through an old thread that detailed the difference in term language. So, I am happy. Just wanted to use the best card with travel protections and still get the free checked. I don't mind possibly sitting in the middle. I am saving $300 bucks (in total) which I can use for a fancier experience when I arrive.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Your AMEX benefits are granted because you are using your DL FF account on the reservation. If you book a ticket using the AMEX, but credit the miles to another airline program (such as KLM Flying Blue) you won't get the benefits.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Your AMEX benefits are granted because you are using your DL FF account on the reservation. If you book a ticket using the AMEX, but credit the miles to another airline program (such as KLM Flying Blue) you won't get the benefits.
Thanks for explanation. Yes, I read that the flight must be Delta marketed and operated. I was going to book on Airfrance website as a basic economy, where I would get to choose a seat. The flight was operated by Delta but marketed as AF. Originally, I was thinking of booking with AMEX and get the free seat selection and free checked bag at the airport. But before, I did, I read clearly the rules and I saw that I would not received a free checked bag in that scenario. But most importantly, I didn't have to use Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.