JFK-BOM Cancellation?

Old Jan 7, 20, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

JFK-BOM Cancellation?

Hey guys. The FAA today banned all US airlines from flying over the Persian Gulf. Would the JFK-BOM flight then be cancelled until things de-escalate?
Old Jan 7, 20, 10:40 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM
They detour. During previous situations like this it may take an hour or so longer than scheduled, leading to delays of the return flight.
Old Jan 7, 20, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Longer term, the route could be rescheduled or suspended, but unless the assigned aircraft doesn't have sufficient range to fly the detour, delays should be the only problem on the route.
Old Jan 8, 20, 12:11 am
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Here is today's flight as an example of their route.
Old Jan 8, 20, 12:15 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's quite a busy and crowded "highway" of flights just to the west and southwest of the Iranian border. By contrast, the route DL chose looks empty.
Old Jan 8, 20, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
That's quite a busy and crowded "highway" of flights just to the west and southwest of the Iranian border. By contrast, the route DL chose looks empty.
I feel like UAE, Saudi, and Qatari ATC really have their work cut out for them.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 9:33 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The problem becomes longer term if the current aircraft allocations cannot service the route. This is what leads to frequency reductions unless the PRASM supports shorting some other route.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I thought US airlines already didn't overfly Iran? As long as Pakistani airspace remains open I don't think this affects US flights to India.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark View Post
I thought US airlines already didn't overfly Iran? As long as Pakistani airspace remains open I don't think this affects US flights to India.
Yeah, IIRC, I think Pakistan was the issue when UA had to suspend EWR-BOM for a while.
The Great Circle Routing doesn't overfly Iran anyway (but comes close) and there's probably no real reason to deviate meaningfully from that (as opposed to something like HKG->NYC that often routes over the longer north Pacific routing to take advantage of strong headwinds vs. the shorter polar routing).
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 10:55 am
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I found this flight path interesting from Dec 24 (JFK-BOM). With the current FAA restrictions I don't think this would be allowed though.
Old Jan 8, 20, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, I guess the jetstream must have been particularly strong and particularly south, looks like that routing adds ~500 miles or 7% to the journey. Or maybe perhaps there were geopolitical considerations (unrelated to Iran).
Old Jan 8, 20, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Yeah, IIRC, I think Pakistan was the issue when UA had to suspend EWR-BOM for a while.
Yes, Pakistan was on the GC route and also they couldn't overfly Iran (and I think they generally avoid Iraq too) and that made the flights very difficult for UA.
Old Jan 8, 20, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL Diam 2MM (2.3), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Back in April, flying KL LAX-AMS-BKK and return we took detours in both direction to avoid the India/Pakistan border regions. Added about an hour each way as I recall.
Old Jan 9, 20, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mot29 View Post
Back in April, flying KL LAX-AMS-BKK and return we took detours in both direction to avoid the India/Pakistan border regions. Added about an hour each way as I recall.
Yes that was when Pakistan airspace was closed off. I did a couple of the LAX-AMS-BKK RT Z sales on KLM when they were offered.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: