Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to Focus More on Core Hubs in 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I'd like to see DL rethink the balance between aircraft size and frequency to core hubs.

For example, I fly to MDT every month. Before DL upgauged to 717s on the route there were 5 MDT-ATL non-stops per day spread pretty evenly throughout the day...which was convenient. Now, there are 3 non-stops on the 717 and the timing is not optimal. Makes getting in and out of MDT a bit of a challenge on DL. I'd also like to see more frequencies between DTW/MSP and Florida as opposed to pushing everything through ATL.
For every one like you who asks for more frequent service on smaller planes, there is another who refuses to fly on regional jets, especially the CRJ200, and who prefers less frequent service on larger planes. This is a difficult balance to maintain.
MSPeconomist and Spanish like this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by third_wave
For every one like you who asks for more frequent service on smaller planes, there is another who refuses to fly on regional jets, especially the CRJ200, and who prefers less frequent service on larger planes. This is a difficult balance to maintain.
Perfect solution: Frequent service on big planes!!
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Perfect solution: Frequent service on big planes!!
Sounds great for the business!
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
I am one of those others who refuses to fly the Torture Tube unless there is absolutely no other realistic alternative. My disdain is unabashed.

Honest question, are socks a thing when a city becomes a focus city? I'm now based out of CMH and had an odd conversation with one of the TAs where they mentioned focus city status. Perhaps my relocation was not in time for the SkyGeek in me.

On topic, I'm glad DL is focusing on their core hubs in 2020. I hope it is more than just competition against competitors and includes expedited renovation/construction at the Sky GateClubs in SLC and MSP.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tvtd
On topic, I'm glad DL is focusing on their core hubs in 2020. I hope it is more than just competition against competitors and includes expedited renovation/construction at the Sky GateClubs in SLC and MSP.
SLC is building a whole new airport from scratch, will open this Fall (the runways stay the same, but everything else is new)
sdadept likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I'm based out of RDU, and got the socks in 2017 (I think... or was it 2018), when did we get the focus city designation?
I recall Delta made it "official" in the end of July 2018, right around when they sent out the socks.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I recall Delta made it "official" in the end of July 2018, right around when they sent out the socks.
I never received the socks... I was/am based out of RDU.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I should have changed my address! I split my flying between DCA and RDU.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mctaste
I do not see any value in going out of my way to visit the skyclub. The only reason I would go is if I had a long layover.

Guess I don’t love cheese and crackers enough?
If you were talking about AA, cheese and crackers would be apt. DL has gotten away without opening J class specific lounges by upgrading offerings in the SKYCLUBs. I'm not saying its onthe level of a J only club, but it's far from what you get at an AA lounge in a city without a specific J lounge when flying J. You also get that level of service even when not flying J with DL.

I agree on not spending extra time there. I book so that I can go straight plane to plane. I dont stick around just to use the lounge cause it's there.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Well, that and the fact that it's 20-25% cheaper per seat to fly a 717 over a CR2 even with the labor cost distortion from regional vs. mainline.

Consumer preference for mainline vs. regional jet pales in comparison to the more generic CASM vs. PRASM issue of larger gauge lowering CASM at the cost of frequency (which means lower PRASM).

Right or wrong, Delta holistically believes its network is better off with a slight PRASM hit to significantly reduce CASM.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mctaste
I do not see any value in going out of my way to visit the skyclub. The only reason I would go is if I had a long layover.

Guess I don’t love cheese and crackers enough?
It can be worth going out of one's way to a SC for clean lavatories without lines or even to get a newspaper/magazine.

Most of the time I'm in the camp of preferring slightly longer connections depending on airport, season/weather, time of day, etc. I don't like having to worry that if there's a slight delay, I'll lose my seat (or be VIPRed out of it) and be at the mercy of whatever is available for rebooking or whatever delta.dumb gives me automatically.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kjnangre
SLC is building a whole new airport from scratch, will open this Fall (the runways stay the same, but everything else is new)
Everything will be new ... eventually (as in 2024). But some of the old concourses will continue being used initially when the switchover to the new terminal happens in September. https://www.slcairport.com/thenewslc...ction-updates/

On the other hand, for those who like Skyclubs, the SLC Skyclub will be brand new from Day One, and from what I hear, it should have spectacular views and much more square footage. No idea about whether the food and beverages will also be spectacular.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Hope that part of the new SLC terminal includes non-Delta lounges like a Priority Pass lounge, or less likely a Centurion Lounge. Would love to see an Admirals Club, or a United Club but think the o/d market is probably too small there.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by amanuensis
Everything will be new ... eventually (as in 2024). But some of the old concourses will continue being used initially when the switchover to the new terminal happens in September. https://www.slcairport.com/thenewslc...ction-updates/

On the other hand, for those who like Skyclubs, the SLC Skyclub will be brand new from Day One, and from what I hear, it should have spectacular views and much more square footage. No idea about whether the food and beverages will also be spectacular.
Who will be using the old gates, Delta, or the other airlines?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Hope that part of the new SLC terminal includes non-Delta lounges like a Priority Pass lounge, or less likely a Centurion Lounge. Would love to see an Admirals Club, or a United Club but think the o/d market is probably too small there.
As I understand it, there is space in the blue prints for another club but that the space has not been claimed yet. Rumor has perhaps a Centurion Lounge going there. But nothing officially said. And it is entirely possible that the space might remain empty for years.
worldwidedreamer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.