Search

DL to Focus More on Core Hubs in 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
DL to Focus More on Core Hubs in 2020

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...-hubs-in-2020/

Article conclusions... (Hauenstein is DL's President)

"Having determined it has achieved a strong position the US West and East coasts and in its focus cities, Delta plans to turn its attention in 2020 to its core hubs, including Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis and Salt Lake City.
Hauenstein explained that it is “a little bit easier for us to grow” in these hubs, conceding that the airline’s core hubs had been ignored while Delta was focused on other regions. The airline can now go back and “fill the patterns” in markets such as Detroit and Minneapolis, which are important to the airline, he said."

Of course, this does not mean that the Sky Club or Sky Priority check-in in ATL will get any better. Probably just means they are going to try to squeeze the meager competition at these hubs a little harder.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Hopefully this focus on "domestic core hubs" includes better scheduling of flight banks so that I do not have to choose between a risky 30-40 minute layover (which, even if everything is on time, leaves virtually no time for an airport meal or a Sky Club visit once you account for deplaning, walking [or sprinting] between gates, and boarding time) or a too-long 3 or 4 hour layover. In my mind, the ideal layover time for a domestic itinerary is about 90 minutes but recently it seems such itineraries are harder to find.

I'd also like to see hub airports strive for a 1:1 ratio between gate seats and power outlets.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Maybe I'll get my dream routes of BHM - MSP and BHM - SLC finally.
LedgeT and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Anyone notice that they're IDing Nashville as a Focus City now too?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Anyone notice that they're IDing Nashville as a Focus City now too?
Nashville-based FF's got the SM socks in the mail... and an another Sky Club expansion announced... last year.
That's pretty "focus-ish".
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by andrewk829
Hopefully this focus on "domestic core hubs" includes better scheduling of flight banks so that I do not have to choose between a risky 30-40 minute layover (which, even if everything is on time, leaves virtually no time for an airport meal or a Sky Club visit once you account for deplaning, walking [or sprinting] between gates, and boarding time) or a too-long 3 or 4 hour layover. In my mind, the ideal layover time for a domestic itinerary is about 90 minutes but recently it seems such itineraries are harder to find.

I'd also like to see hub airports strive for a 1:1 ratio between gate seats and power outlets.
I do not see any value in going out of my way to visit the skyclub. The only reason I would go is if I had a long layover.

Guess I don’t love cheese and crackers enough?
WillBarrett_68 and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'd like to see DL rethink the balance between aircraft size and frequency to core hubs.

For example, I fly to MDT every month. Before DL upgauged to 717s on the route there were 5 MDT-ATL non-stops per day spread pretty evenly throughout the day...which was convenient. Now, there are 3 non-stops on the 717 and the timing is not optimal. Makes getting in and out of MDT a bit of a challenge on DL. I'd also like to see more frequencies between DTW/MSP and Florida as opposed to pushing everything through ATL.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by mctaste
I do not see any value in going out of my way to visit the skyclub. The only reason I would go is if I had a long layover.

Guess I don’t love cheese and crackers enough?
I'm always baffled by these posts, which are not infrequent. I'm actually with you—will only go if I have a long layover and have to.

But I quite intuitively understand why someone would want an hour in between flights to have a glass of wine, a substantial snack (much better than cheese and crackers—one of the easiest ways to get a plate of just vegetables in an airport), and check emails or read a chapter of a novel.

And see no upside to being snotty at people who enjoy different things than I do.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I'd like to see DL rethink the balance between aircraft size and frequency to core hubs.

For example, I fly to MDT every month. Before DL upgauged to 717s on the route there were 5 MDT-ATL non-stops per day spread pretty evenly throughout the day...which was convenient. Now, there are 3 non-stops on the 717 and the timing is not optimal. Makes getting in and out of MDT a bit of a challenge on DL. I'd also like to see more frequencies between DTW/MSP and Florida as opposed to pushing everything through ATL.
Delta HAS thought this over very much. They have made a point of it for several years in their inverster presentations.

What you see is the result.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:31 pm

Personally I want more 30 minute connections, not fewer. The club mac and cheese is OK I guess, but I'd rather have an extra hour at home or at my destination.
woodford02A, writerguyfl and HDQDD like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I doubt it. The 30-40 minute thing isn't an accident. It's very much intentional. 90-minute connections means A-to-B travel times that are not competitive with other airlines, especially for high-value business customers. DL is a for-profit business.

I see your point. Sometimes I like the relaxed connection too. But if anything, DL is likely to move towards 40 minute banks, not away from it
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Nashville-based FF's got the SM socks in the mail... and an another Sky Club expansion announced... last year.
That's pretty "focus-ish".
I'm based out of RDU, and got the socks in 2017 (I think... or was it 2018), when did we get the focus city designation?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I prefer 45-ish minute layovers instead of 90+ and Skyclub visits. They're not peaceful havens these days, plus I'd rather get to my destination that much sooner.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
45-60 minutes is great in the morning. I like looking for 60-75 as the day goes on to account for increasing likeliness of delays.

Airport is also a big factor. While 35 minutes is doable at both ATL and DTW, say, it's far easier at DTW.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Delta HAS thought this over very much. They have made a point of it for several years in their inverster presentations.

What you see is the result.
You'll notice I said RETHINK. Twice this week I have booked away from DL due to the frequency issue (and one was a flight out of MDT).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.