Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2020 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof) Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Many businesses (including mine and many that I know of) have completely shut down all travel until further notice. All remaining March trips where forced to be cancelled and anything beyond April is on hold for me. This is just my guess but I’d wager to say that domestic business travel is probably down 50% if not more right now.
At least. My TPA-ATL flight mid day is showing 68 open seats and I’ve already been upgraded to F.
Cant remember the last time one of these flights didn’t go out full or I got upgraded.

ATL-PHL is showing 88 open seats with no standbys on an MD-90.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I am on a connection flight that is 3/4 empty followed by a transcon that is 1/2 empty. Upgrade list is fully cleared on both flights with many empty seats in 1st. It feels like 2010 all over again when I was an FO with a 90% upgrade rate.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:01 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond, Hertz Five Star
A bit late and still a silver (although depending on if April trips still happen should hit gold by mid year)
2/21 DCA to ATL C+ At Window, missed F By 1 (award ticket)
ATL to MCO bought up to F because of the time of flight and a reasonable FCM offer

2/24 MCO to RDU C+ at Gate (award ticket)
RDU to DCA C+ (can’t remember when)

Only March trip was supposed to be DCA to JFK but that got cancelled along with the conference it was to attend

Next travel is late April and will have to make a call on that in about 10 days (fingers crossed and prayers for those involved that things are on a positive trajectory so that that trip stays on)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
PM and FO companion, upgraded MCO-JFK and JFK-SEA at the 5 day window. Almost the entire JFK-SEA FC cabin is empty, and as someone who flies that route a lot, that it is highly unusual.

This must be what it was like to be a frequent flier/elite member back in the day. Hope we can get a handle on this stupid virus soon...
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
DL Platinum

1/11/2020:
- DL1242 LAX-DTW, UG’d at T-72
- DL 2885 DTW-LAX, UG‘d at gate

1/13/2020:
- DL 2828 ORD-DTW, UG’d at gate
- DL 2082 DTW-LAX, UG’d at gate
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Here's what I've got so far as a GM
1/2/2020
DL1840 JAX-ATL, Confirmed F
DL2090 ATL-SLC, Confirmed F

3/5/2020
DL2076 ATL-SLC, 32/46 for C+, 57/92 for F

3/7/2020
DL1874 SLC-ATL 5/17 for C+, 19/42 for F

3/14/2020
DL1852 MSY-SLC Cleared into C+ at T-72, Cleared into F at T-64
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
3/14 RDU-DCA (CR9)

Well... It was booked to 6 total out of 76. Two Medallions and one companion cleared at the respective windows. The other three passengers had no status but the FAs asked them to sit in rows 3 and 4 anyway and gave them drinks and a couple of snack basket passes as well.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Heading home from Florida on Tuesday and had flights MCO-JFK and JFK-SEA. Got upgraded on both 5 days out, but had to change to the MCO-SEA flight. Got upgraded to FC with companion about 5-10 mins after the PM agent changed our flight.

Side note: DL agents have been OUTSTANDING recently. They usually are, but even more so now. I think I've had to change 4 trips in the last 10 days and they've been great every time, no change fees, great attitudes and just fantastic overall.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
DL 1666 ATL-RDU MD-88 PM on V Fare: Cleared at Gate.

I'd cleared at the window for the earlier flight, SDCed to this one, and we went out with several empty seats. Great time to fly if you need to.

Now 41.67% (5/12) on the year
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
3/23 DL 1393 RDU-ATL A-320 PM on T Fare: Cleared at Booking (~T21)

All of five of us in F. Best upgrade run I've had in a while.

Now 46.15% (6/13) on the year
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I had forgotten to cancel this Friday's RDU-ORD CR9. Got upgraded at the window like usual, then the flight got cancelled today and I got put on RDU-DTW-ORD in F.

Right now, I doubt I will have another DL flight before July 4.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
I'm curious, for those who are still flying, what are the upgrade lists looking like in the COVID era? Less passengers are flying overall, but Delta is also consolidating passengers onto fewer flights.

... I suppose flying in First means less these days since all middle seats are blocked and PDB service is on pause. Speaking of, this is the quietest I have seen the no PDB thread!
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by tardyturtle
I'm curious, for those who are still flying, what are the upgrade lists looking like in the COVID era? Less passengers are flying overall, but Delta is also consolidating passengers onto fewer flights.

... I suppose flying in First means less these days since all middle seats are blocked and PDB service is on pause. Speaking of, this is the quietest I have seen the no PDB thread!
It probably can't be compared to pre-COVID due to the factors you listed above and the fact that all UGs are now done at the gate. I also haven't seen many people post in the FCM forum as well, so I'd assume there is a lot less paid F than there was before, making UGs easier.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:00 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver

Someone said this a couple months ago: The silver lining is that silvers are getting upgraded.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:17 pm

Flew RDU-ATL yesterday on the 5:25 PM flight. I'm typically in the teens on this list if I'm lucky, the 20s when I'm not even on high fare classes. Yesterday there were a total of three people on the list. We went out with six people in the 16 seat F cabin three of which were employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.