Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2020 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof) Thread

Old Dec 31, 19, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

Im flying out on my first flight as a PM tomorrow and Im starting the new year off on the right track, going 4/4 on UGs.

1/1/2020:
- DL1738 MLB-ATL, UGd at T-120 (+1)
- DL 2817 ATL-CVG, UGd at T-120 (+1)

1/5/2020:
- DL 2830 CVG-ATL, UGd at T-120 (+1)
- DL 2728 ATL-MLB, UGd at T-120 (+1)
Old Jan 1, 20, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Posted a little early.

1/31 - PDX - ATL - Denied
2/1 - ATL - GND - Denied
2/8 - GND - ATL - Denied
2/9 - ATL - PDX - Pulled up by Gate agent after boarding
3/3 - PDX - ATL
3/4 - ATL - JAX
3/9 - JAX - ATL
3/9 - ATL - PDX

Last edited by RacingJunkie; Feb 9, 20 at 8:01 pm
Old Jan 1, 20, 9:41 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Silver Elite
GUC upgrade LAX-SYD DL 41 1/1/20. It cleared about 48-72 hours from departure when there were only 2 D1 seats remaining.
Old Jan 1, 20, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA GLD, DL Gold, B6, HH Diamond
1/4 LAX-SLC, upgraded to F at T-72. First flight as Gold on the status match challenge. Reasonably impressed.
Old Jan 2, 20, 12:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President's Circle
My first year as a PM! Flew 2 segments today, but both were already booked into FC. At least one would likely have cleared the comp UG, though; BOS-ATL had fewer than 10 people on the list and 4 seats open the last time I checked. ATL-SEA was a bit longer but still only had around 20 on the UG list.

I fly 5 more segments this month, at least as of right now, and hope to at least get 1 or 2 UGs:

1-13: SEA-JFK - 752 (domestic D1 seats - no chance unless using RUC)
1-13: JFK-FLL - A321 (usually got this as a GM and 19 of 20 are currently open)
1-16: FLL-ATL - 752 (no chance. This route is always packed)
1-16: ATL-SEA - 763 (currently 28 open domestic D1 seats open; curious if anyone clears this route/plane combo as a plat or of I should try using an RUC?)
1-26: LAS-SEA - 738 (good shot, but short flight and I have a good C+ seat already)

Hope I do better as a SEA-based PM this year than as a GM last year. I probably did MAYBE 20% last year, although to be fair, most of my flights were 3+ hour hub-hun routes or pseudo-transcons like SEA-MCO. Those are probably tough to get for most non-Diamonds!
Old Jan 2, 20, 5:53 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
I use 2 GUC:

22 January
- YUL - MSP (get upgrade)
- MSP - ATL (get Upgrade)
- ATL - PVG (get Upgrade)

30 January
- PVG - LAX (get upgrade)
- LAX - JFK (wait list)
- JFK - YUL (CRJ (useless.....))
Old Jan 2, 20, 7:23 am

PM.

1/1 - CR9 - JFK-RDU, 1 of 3 for 2, cleared at gate.
Old Jan 3, 20, 12:32 am

1/5 - PDX-SLC - Upgrade to F at T-72 (-15 min)

I was somewhat surprised as this was the first automatic F upgrade I've seen recently. I've had to manually process my last 4 F upgrades in December (for the same PDX <-> SLC flights)
Path 1: I get the Upgrade to C+ email, I go online to choose my seat and I can choose an F seat for 'FREE'.
Path 2: After the C+ email it still asks me to pay to choose an F seat (maybe a website bug as explained below) So I untick my upgrade to First request, save, recheck it and save and it upgrades me to F and then I pick the actual F seat if I don't like the auto selected one based on my preferences.

At T-73 There were 15/20 F seats available. At T-72 (-5 min) there were still 15 F seats available but it showed I could change to F for 'FREE' but adding it to the cart asked me to pay so I canceled. At T-72 (-15 min) I get an email from AMEX GBT that I've been upgraded to 'Business Class' with a seat assignment at check in. So I go to delta.com and see it was now asking '$99' to change to a different F seat... I was stuck in my current seat (but an F seat with the OU fair class) on the web. However on the mobile app I was able to change my seat for free and it was accepted. This is what I see as a bug in the logic of the website vs mobile app.

Maybe this is a sign at a fix from having to manually make the upgrade change. This may not have changed but it seems like requesting both C+ AND F was resulting in getting assigned a C+ upgrade when you were qualified to get an F upgrade. However at the same time I suspect I was bypassing diamond and plat members (I'm gold) that were also given a C+ upgrade but were on the waiting list for F.

Last edited by Hachima; Jan 3, 20 at 12:56 am
Old Jan 3, 20, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM, MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
First flight of the year - a good start.

1/8 MSY-LGA DL1309 A320 at the 5 day window. Only 1 seat was occupied and mine is the only UG

Probably won't get it on the return on 1/17. F is sold out so I need a last minute cancellation or mis-connect
Old Jan 4, 20, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
1/5 - SFO-MSP-MCI -- all cleared at the 3 day window as GM to F.
Old Jan 5, 20, 2:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President's Circle
Quick upgrade question and didnt want to start a new thread about this:

I've got an upcoming SEA-JFK-ZRH flight in April that's booked into Premium Select. The SEA-JFK leg is on a D1-equipped 752 and I'm of course in C+ for the connection. The website says that this segment is "not complementary upgrade eligible". I know these dont open up for comp UGs until day of departure; is this why I'm seeing this message? I'm not likely to get the UG regardless, even as a Platinum, but was just curious why this message was displayed. The fact that this is an international itinerary should not matter for purposes of domestic D1 upgrades, right?
Old Jan 5, 20, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
1/6 - MSP-SEA - Upgraded 1/4 having only booked 1/2
1/10 SEA-MSP - Upgraded 1/5
Old Jan 5, 20, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84 View Post
Quick upgrade question and didnt want to start a new thread about this:

I've got an upcoming SEA-JFK-ZRH flight in April that's booked into Premium Select. The SEA-JFK leg is on a D1-equipped 752 and I'm of course in C+ for the connection. The website says that this segment is "not complementary upgrade eligible". I know these dont open up for comp UGs until day of departure; is this why I'm seeing this message? I'm not likely to get the UG regardless, even as a Platinum, but was just curious why this message was displayed. The fact that this is an international itinerary should not matter for purposes of domestic D1 upgrades, right?
No its just a common website glitch thats been around for a few years now. You are eligible for an UG to D1 on DOD for the domestic D1 routes.
Old Jan 6, 20, 12:45 am
zmb

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
01/03 2637 SEA to LAS - Comfort+ at check-in, 3 for 6 for First Class. Had 10ABC on 737-800 to self.

01/06 8788 LAS to SEA - First Class at check-in on 757-200 with D1 seats, first upgrade to 1st with two years Silver Medallion. Plane is N727TW which has been all over the continent and is coming from JFK to LAS.
Old Jan 6, 20, 9:37 am

1/11 - RDU-JFK, B717, F at PM window with companion.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: