Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How is Delta economy transcon without status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve

I posted a thread in the JetBlue forum but I figured I'd ask Delta loyalists this question: how is Delta transcon (specifically LAX - JFK or SFO - JFK) for economy without status? I have been a JetBlue loyalist for years and the chief reason is their economy transcon product is stellar. But -- after a few years not flying them (changed jobs) I have a new job which requires a lot of travel to NYC again from California, and I've had a series of awful experiences in the last several months which has made me reconsider my loyalty.

The biggest question for me is -- how does Delta economy stack up against JetBlue? I'm sure it's not QUITE as nice in terms of the seat itself, but I'd like to know if there are some travelers out there who like to work on their laptops, and what their experience is. How is the seat comfort/space? What if the person in front of you reclines? How reliable is the wifi on the upgraded 2Ku planes?

I'll be flying enough just for Silver status in 2020 -- I'd make the cutoff for Gold for MQMs but not MQD's, most likely.

I know I will have to pay for Gogo but it's still within budget for my company. And being able to use SkyClubs is appealing, at least until the Centurion lounge opens up at LAX.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL, UA, B6
First of all, you can get the MQD waiver via the platinum credit card.
Second of all DL routinely budgets more time than JetBlue. Not sure why, but they do.
Third, the seats on the 737s are marginally smaller than the A32X metal, and I think the JetBlue seats are slightly more comfortable.
Fourth, the movies are somewhat better.
Fifth, JFK Terminal 4 flights to the west coast often require an epic hike to the end of the terminal. Not what you want to see at 6 am when your red-eye lands.
Apart from that, Basic Economy on a full flight sucks, especially if you are crammed into the back. But this is true of all of the airlines.

So far, I've done 3 1/2 on Delta with no major disasters. JetBlue was late due to them hitting the plane with the jetbridge, and having to hunt for a certified scratch expert (at 10pm on a Friday) to see if the bird could fly.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Delta Reserve, Singapore Silver, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
JFK-LAX is all 767-300's, I believe SFO is as well, so not a narrow body. DL does not fly a 737 from JFK-SFO or JFK-LAX. These are all D1 equipped aircraft. Configuration is 2-3-2, so no middle seats on the outsides. All seats have seat back entertainment. I think DL's choices are fine. There is a free "meal" in coach, which is normally a wrap or sandwich. If you're in C+ the legroom is good.

Silver will get you access to preferred seats for free and make you eligible for C+ upgrades, but upgrades are not easy to get.

If you have the Amex plat card, you'll have access to the SkyClub. The SFO and LAX clubs are nice and renovated.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
JFK-LAX is all 767-300's, I believe SFO is as well, so not a narrow body. DL does not fly a 737 from JFK-SFO or JFK-LAX. These are all D1 equipped aircraft. Configuration is 2-3-2, so no middle seats on the outsides. All seats have seat back entertainment. I think DL's choices are fine. There is a free "meal" in coach, which is normally a wrap or sandwich. If you're in C+ the legroom is good.

Silver will get you access to preferred seats for free and make you eligible for C+ upgrades, but upgrades are not easy to get.

If you have the Amex plat card, you'll have access to the SkyClub. The SFO and LAX clubs are nice and renovated.
SFO is now all explicitly narrowbody 757.
DCAproducer and bunsofsteel like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Delta transcon on the 767 is pretty good. You get a free meal, seatback entertainment, you can buy drinks, etc. If you get upgraded to C+, you get free drinks. It's a pretty comfortable experience. I think B6 transcon economy is fine, but nothing special.

Also - if you care about miles, JetBlue penalizes you with half mileage if you book through a corporate booking tool (Concur). That's a real sore point for me when it comes to business travel. I've chosen against B6 more than a few times because of this
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
Biggest Silver benefit IMO is the ability to select preferred seats, including exit row. 757 and 767 exit rows have lots of legroom, and no recline of the person in front of you. If you can snag an occasional upgrade that is great, but the seat selection trumps that. We routinely decline C+ upgrades when in exit row.
beachmouse likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had an LAX-BOS JetBlue outbound/Delta return this summer. I have no status on either, and have avoided DL for years because of bad NW experiences and post merger DL being like NW.

i somehow got an exit row on DL (work TA booked it), and it was fine, and better than the B6 outbound. There was a menu and a meal and it was generally comfortable.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.950MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Delta transcon on the 767 is pretty good.
767 is the best domestic bird in coach in the sky.

2-3-2 seating is great, only 14% middle seats.
Yellowjj, Duke787, ryw and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:36 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by synzero
I posted a thread in the JetBlue forum but I figured I'd ask Delta loyalists this question: how is Delta transcon (specifically LAX - JFK or SFO - JFK) for economy without status? I have been a JetBlue loyalist for years and the chief reason is their economy transcon product is stellar. But -- after a few years not flying them (changed jobs) I have a new job which requires a lot of travel to NYC again from California, and I've had a series of awful experiences in the last several months which has made me reconsider my loyalty.

The biggest question for me is -- how does Delta economy stack up against JetBlue? I'm sure it's not QUITE as nice in terms of the seat itself, but I'd like to know if there are some travelers out there who like to work on their laptops, and what their experience is. How is the seat comfort/space? What if the person in front of you reclines? How reliable is the wifi on the upgraded 2Ku planes?

I'll be flying enough just for Silver status in 2020 -- I'd make the cutoff for Gold for MQMs but not MQD's, most likely.

I know I will have to pay for Gogo but it's still within budget for my company. And being able to use SkyClubs is appealing, at least until the Centurion lounge opens up at LAX.
Hi, I fly Delta on 757, A330, and 767, and during the entire 5-6 hour flights, its laptop work on a 15 inch MacBook. I done laptop work in non exit economy seats, C+, and FC.

In non exit economy seats, if you get the old 767 bird, its pretty tough. Otherwise it's doable for any other seat with some adjustments, even when the person in front of you reclines.

I would recommend the following:
1.Get a 3 prong charger that can connect to multiple devices as there is usually one charger port. This way, you can share with your neighbor versus taking turns. Also using the 2 prongs of a traditional charging device, it tends to angle (such as the big apple charger device), or fall out.
2. Choose the window seat so you can shift towards to the window to create more shoulder space or sit at an angle.
3. Choose C+ if you can, or at least the exit row.

Wifi allows me to download word documents, stream some Youtube videos, and email. I bought the monthly pass, and you can only sign in on one device, but it is easy enough to log out and relog back in.

The reason I still choose Delta is that their power ports actually work, and I can continue to work on my laptop throughout the entire flight.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by wchinchen
Hi, I fly Delta on 757, A330, and 767, and during the entire 5-6 hour flights, its laptop work on a 15 inch MacBook. I done laptop work in non exit economy seats, C+, and FC.

In non exit economy seats, if you get the old 767 bird, its pretty tough. Otherwise it's doable for any other seat with some adjustments, even when the person in front of you reclines.

I would recommend the following:
1.Get a 3 prong charger that can connect to multiple devices as there is usually one charger port. This way, you can share with your neighbor versus taking turns. Also using the 2 prongs of a traditional charging device, it tends to angle (such as the big apple charger device), or fall out.
2. Choose the window seat so you can shift towards to the window to create more shoulder space or sit at an angle.
3. Choose C+ if you can, or at least the exit row.

Wifi allows me to download word documents, stream some Youtube videos, and email. I bought the monthly pass, and you can only sign in on one device, but it is easy enough to log out and relog back in.

The reason I still choose Delta is that their power ports actually work, and I can continue to work on my laptop throughout the entire flight.
Super helpful comments. Since I should be able to qualify for silver this year, it might be worth giving Delta a shot this year.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
Originally Posted by DCAproducer

I flew LAX-JFK the night before Thanksgiving as a Silver with 2 seats to myself in C plus. Choice of Reuben Sandwich or cheese plate. I had both, and they were excellent and free for seconds. The NYC-based Flight attendants were fantastic and comped multiple rounds of drinks.

So yes, Delta is good on this route. Another odd comparison would be UA from EWR as they serve hot meals in Economy Plus no IIRC no free booze.

Regarding laptop size, I think the best is the A330, worst 757 for space. The 763 tray table pulls out so it's fairly good.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: Free Agent Level 2; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, ALL SE, BA GECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by synzero
How reliable is the wifi on the upgraded 2Ku planes?
The JFK TCONs operate with international planes, as mentioned upthread. The 75S and 763 have Ku wifi, not 2Ku. (The only international planes with 2Ku are the A339 and A350, neither of which operate on the TCON routes.)

I generally find the Ku wifi service on these routes to be pretty reliable, and fairly usable for stuff like google docs.
MikeNYC1 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt, American Express; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Marriott Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER
... 2 seats to myself in C plus. Choice of Reuben Sandwich or cheese plate. I had both, and they were excellent and free for seconds. The NYC-based Flight attendants were fantastic and comped multiple rounds of drinks.
Good that they did that, since drinks are free in C+
wanderingtraveler and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Not much to add to what's already been said -- but +1 to it all and +1 as someone endorsing DL for TCON Y.

You'll see only widebodies or 757s on JFK - LAX/SFO routes plus the economy meals which aren't half bad. Plus all feature IFE. I've flown the 763 a bunch for international trips and it's a very solid plane, only caveat is that the exit row seats are hard as a rock -- the legroom is great but just choose knowing your butt is going to pay for it.

Don't forget you can snag the AMEX Plat, if you don't already have, and (at least for now -- until AMEX devalues in the future) you'll get the DL SkyClub access AND the LAX Centurion Lounge access when it opens (plus the JFK Centurion Lounge access when it opens).
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Platinum
I personally don't like the 767's because the TV's are outdated (at least on the transcon flights i've been on). 757 are my preferred screens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.