Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead Storage Rant

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jrl767
I may be misremembering this, but I think AS 739s have a “Reserved for bulkhead row passengers only” decal on the small bins above Row 1
However the people who poach/overuse overhead bin space aren't generally the sort of people who care what signs say.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: SM/Marriott/Hilton - Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
You stayed in your C+ seat to watch?

(I think your frustration is legit though)
Unfortunately my husband and I were window/middle and the isle person wanted to lollygag. It was a heck of a trip, lemme tell ya. The connecting flight (which I found out later contained the crew for the flight I walked onto "late". was late for mx and then we had to cross every runway in ATL.... but between crossings people were getting up to go to the lav which even further delayed us.

I was just happy when my bag survived. I really didn't think it would knowing it had to drop off the 20 foot slide in PHX.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by jrl767
I may be misremembering this, but I think AS 739s have a “Reserved for bulkhead row passengers only” decal on the small bins above Row 1
Doesn’t mean jack. AA has “reserved for MCE” in the bins. People don’t care.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Flyer0889
FWIW - During early stages of boarding the aisle FA Is able to monitor c+ bins. I know I do and a good majority of my peers do too, however, as the plane fills we get pushed further and further back. At the latest stages of boarding we send a message to the Gate Agent on our SkyPro to start checking bags. If they don’t comply or miss the message we will encourage passengers to use the first available space as the bins are overly full towards the back. We do that because getting bags to the jet bridge once on board is time consuming and we want the ontime door closure (or door closed within 30 minutes from delayed boarding start). But there is a solid 10-15 minutes that it’s not possible to watch C+. The one major exception is the 757 since the door FA stands in the middle of C+. That’s a challenge of it’s own with 6 bulkhead seats and limited overhead space due to the lav and door area.
If FAs can alert GAs on the SkyPro, why have GAs sometimes insisted on checking my bag only to ask nicely at the aircraft door and and be told by the FAs that there's plenty of space (and I mean plenty)? Are GAs going rogue this often?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by paterwdb
I once got on, seated in 2B, and the bins over 2 were full on both sides. I put my bag in the smaller bin over 1AB, which is a one-suitcase wide bin.

When the guy went to sit down at 1B and it was full, he went completely bananas. He sat in his seat cussing up a storm and complaining to his wife. It went on so much that I was not angry but felt horrible. I started to stand at one point to move my bag, and the FA put his hand on my shoulder as I was standing and looked at me and mouthed, "don't you dare."

He then approached the man and offered to find him a place for his bag. The man refused, cussed out the FA, and then put his bag behind me.

The Advent miracle is that when I deplaned he was waiting for me at the desk. He walked up, put his hand out and said, "I'm really sorry, it's been a long travel day, and I was out of line."

Grace is everywhere.
I have to admit, I had to read this four times before I realized that the FA meant "don't you dare move your bag" and not "don't you dare altercate with him" since you were standing up. Great story.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:43 pm

I get the complaint.......

but really this is a first world problem. About once a year I get a nasty delay with a connection and get screwed. I have to check my bag (GASP!!!!).

Whatever. It can be inconvenient. It can be because some dbag decided his stuff is more important than anyone else. or it could be because of nothing. Doesn't change the fact that my bag will come out of baggage claim fairly quickly. The FA are also super supportive when you make this easy on them. Free drinks, preferential stuff, whatever. Flying sucks, there is nothing glamorous of attractive about watching a bunch of entitled people battle over something so trivial as the 15 minutes i might have to waste picking up my bag. I cannot for the life of me see why to make it worse.

I know when I am about to die I will totally regret each and every time I got irritated over something that should not matter. I am doing everything in my power to limit that. ^
kale73 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by ekozie
If FAs can alert GAs on the SkyPro, why have GAs sometimes insisted on checking my bag only to ask nicely at the aircraft door and and be told by the FAs that there's plenty of space (and I mean plenty)? Are GAs going rogue this often?
That’s a complex answer. I’ve been told they have some sort of threshold on their computer that if they don’t meet, and the flight is delayed for checked bags, then the delay goes on them. Generally, they can always ask us (sometimes we don’t have connectivity, so they can’t). But it can be frustrating to have all the forced checked bags and plenty of pace. Because we get chewed out in the aisle for it. Sometimes they leave us on “read” and ignore us.

When IFS and ACS coordinate well - it’s amazing how smooth boarding can go. It’s gotten way better since the release of our communication app - but can obviously be better.

*edit* to add that boarding goes significantly faster once all roller boards are being checked so I suspect that’s also one reason they start. LGA used to be really bad about this. Once they hit mid zone 2 they would check everything regardless of the status off the overhead bins (this was back when we had to communicate by jet bridge phone) I hated flying through there because of that.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
2) It's DL's job to police this and not you, a fellow passenger. Pulling someone's bag out and moving it around so they don't know where it is? Don't do that.
absolutely. this is odious vigilante behavior. two wrongs don't make a right.
angra, volabam and kale73 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Yeah, two wrongs don't make a right but someone getting what they deserve when acting like a douchbag can make them think twice about doing next time.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:56 am

yeah that's what every vigilante tells themselves. you aren't a hero if you do this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by steveholt
2) It's DL's job to police this and not you, a fellow passenger. Pulling someone's bag out and moving it around so they don't know where it is? Don't do that..
For there to be vigilantism there needs to be some initial form of enforcement. Therein lies the problem. There really is none. I once had a PAX two in front of me place their bag in the C+ area and then proceed to march to the back of the bus. I asked the FA who was standing right there to assist and move the offending bag further back as there was still space in other bins so I could stow my bag. They flatly refused. Fortunately, another person was willing to move their bag around so mine would fit - thus saving me from having to swim down stream and back. In this instance, I left a note the offending bag regarding their lack of manners.

At this point there is such a lack of manners and decorum, combined with the FA not wanting assist, that if I personally experienced this again I would have zero guilt about moving the offending bag to another bin further back simply so that when exiting the plane I would not be swimming down stream to retrieve my bag.

I also have zero guilt about moving bags around without asking that have been stowed poorly that with a bit of rearrangement other bags could be accommodated - namely mine. There are exceptions like when a good Stenson hat is already up there.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Dec 15, 2019 at 12:25 pm
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:43 am

"rearranging bags" and "removing a bag" are completely different things. The fact that you have zero guilt about it doesn't make it any less odious.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Platinum
I will add to the discussion.

One of my frustrations is with the F crowd (mostly fellow diamonds) who consistently put small bags - backpacks, briefcases, duffles - into the smaller side OHBs on the MDs and 717s. I had this happen on two flights this week; both offenders were diamonds. I asked if I could move their bag across the aisle. One said ok with no issue. The other acted completely offended. After some back and forth she agreed to moving the bag to the smaller bin.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
"rearranging bags" and "removing a bag" are completely different things. The fact that you have zero guilt about it doesn't make it any less odious.
The clown who carelessly threw his bag up in F and walked back to the back of the bus with row after row of open bins should have thought about the ramifications of his actions beforehand. Out comes his bag and good luck finding it buddy (in this case the offender was lucky because the flight attendant called him up). I have zero tolerance for these idiots. I did it before and I’ll do it again.
Spiff and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Just to understand the person who ignores the signage in the back of the bin and feels they can place their bag somewhere they are not sitting and its OK because my connecting flight was late and hence I got to the flight late is in the right?
Faith in humanity restored this morning. I saw someone start putting their bag in the FC bin, noticed the placard and took it down.

Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
I agree that this is the biggest issue with bin space up front - So many feel entitled to put both of their bags up there. Even if I check a bag I still put my computer bag under the seat in front of me to leave room for others. For some reason, there are people on this planet that are wired to think they are the only ones who exist and matter.
I only bring ONE carry on, so I have legroom AND can use the overhead bin. How is this a problem? How is this thinking I am the only one that matters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.