Search

Overhead Storage Rant

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Overhead Storage Rant

Attention all medallion members, even as an FO in theory you should be flying 25,000 miles per year at minimum. You know better so stop putting your bags in the overhead in F or C+ if you are not sitting there

When I get to a flight late and i cant put my bag in the overhead because even though you were the 6th person to board the plane you decided to place your bag above 3C even though you are back in row 47B and your bag would have certainly been fine there too. Is it because you are mad you missed on the upgrade?

I like to assume that non frequent travelers dont know better but FO/GM/PM/DM/360 should know better

/end rant
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by vincentharris
When I get to a flight late...
/end rant
^ Sounds like the easier problem to solve than converting the world of those who you assume know better.
moondog, tangfish, CO-PLAT and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
In my 200K miles flown this year, I've seen more nonsense than any previous year. Sadly, it's getting worse with each enhancement devaluation.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's annoying when all those FOs board before one gets to the gate, so that one misses the bag carrying service. However, some FOs do travel in FC and should not be prohibited from using the bins over their seats, provided that they first carried all of the DM bags that were present in the gate area when zone PREM was called.
dlflyer00 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by mayhem
^ Sounds like the easier problem to solve than converting the world of those who you assume know better.
Just to understand the person who ignores the signage in the back of the bin and feels they can place their bag somewhere they are not sitting and its OK because my connecting flight was late and hence I got to the flight late is in the right?
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Lets see

Number of C+ seats == N
Number of bags possible to store above C+seats == M

where it is universally known that N > M and in some instances N >> M

Thus the set of bags B(1 .. M) can be included above C+seats
And the set bags B(M+1 .. N) cannot be included above C+seats

Without a loss in generality assume a set of passengers P = 1 ... N each have a bag B

If and only if passenger P <= M then Bag(P) can be included above C+seats

When P = N then Bag(P) cannot be included above C+seats

QED
CO-PLAT, apodo77, gt5889a and 1 others like this.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Dec 14, 2019 at 2:29 pm
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by vincentharris
When I get to a flight late and i cant put my bag in the overhead because even though you were the 6th person to board the plane you decided to place your bag above 3C even though you are back in row 47B and your bag would have certainly been fine there too.
A good FA will gate-check that bag for you

(I have seen it happen, but it's rare.)
Spiff, vincentharris and Tine Rod like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I'm with the OP here. I usually board when F is called, and am comfortably seated through most of the boarding process. And I have witnessed this dozens of times this year alone. Occasionally I see a FA stop the offending Y pax and send him (it has been a male every time that I've seen it) back for their bag, and I quietly cheer the FA to myself. But more often than not, it goes un-noted.

For the life of me, I don't get it. The offending pax is boarding reasonably early when there is still a LOT of bin space in the back, but they put their bag in the overheads in F. Personally, I'm one of those people that want my bag nearby, at least close enough to keep tabs on. I chalk it up to the human equivalent of male dogs p***ing on every tree.
Spiff, sdadept, wrp96 and 7 others like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:29 pm

To me this is a clear failure of the flight attendants who welcome passengers onboard and not the passengers, some of whom might be very infrequent flyers.
iadisgreat and dav662 like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Great, so why when I'm among the last to board and in the first few rows of C+ do I still get snide looks from F pax (who are all seated and accounted for) when I go back to my seat, see that everything's full, but put my bag in the clearly available space above row 4 or 5.

I surely don't do that when I sit in F, unless it's still clear there's a ton of room in the bins in back.

This thread goes both ways.
OHDL1, tvnwz and tangfish like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Don't get me started. Some clown put his bag in F and walked back to 67F. I yanked his bag out and plopped it in the aisle and asked the flight attendant to check it (after I asked if anyone else in F could claim the said bag in question). Flight attendant called the passenger who huffed and puffed and yelled at me. I said sorry pal you boarded with group 2 with plenty of bin space all the way back.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:26 pm

How did you know he went back to 67F?
tangfish likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:33 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by enviroian
Don't get me started. Some clown put his bag in F and walked back to 67F. I yanked his bag out and plopped it in the aisle and asked the flight attendant to check it (after I asked if anyone else in F could claim the said bag in question). Flight attendant called the passenger who huffed and puffed and yelled at me. I said sorry pal you boarded with group 2 with plenty of bin space all the way back.
LOL, You could have asked the FA to check it acting as if it were yours. "Sure, go ahead, please. I have a durian in there and don't want it to stink". I'd love to be a mouse on the wall when the schlump in 67F comes looking. He'd find it at the gate but that first second he checks the bin.... priceless!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:37 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Do what I do. Switch the bag over to the other side at the aft curtain in F or in the closet. That way you can gloat in your imagination later that they had to pause on de-planing trying to figure out where their bag went
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I agree with the OP. Cabin baggage should be put where the pax sits. That said I have seen on a full flight the FA putting EC pax bags in the business class cabin and business class pax bag in first class cabin. I think the FA putting it there and the pax putting it there and two different issues.
To me it's the responsibility of the FA to see the correct protocol.
It's the same as the Jetty on the 2nd door and business or first class pax being stuck while EC pax push their way thru and try to get off first. Agreed that most airlines would stop it but I have been on a couple where this has happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.