Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary UG cleared before RUC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Complimentary UG cleared before RUC

Not that I'm complaining, but it seems revenue management screwed up? I cleared into OU with a RUC waitlisted 3 days before my flight as a DM, before any OY inventory was ever made available.

Anyone else had this happen?

I had to call in and have them remove the RUC from the segment before I was able to access the seat map again; had a FC seat assignment in OU but the seat map would just throw an error message.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:03 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by appleguru
Not that I'm complaining, but it seems revenue management screwed up? I cleared into OU with a RUC waitlisted 3 days before my flight as a DM, before any OY inventory was ever made available.

I had to call in and have them remove the RUC from the segment before I was able to access the seat map again; had a FC seat assignment in OU but the seat map would just throw an error message.
Wow, I think it has been speculated more than one that this was possible before the gate due to separate inventory classes but this is the first confirmed report I've seen anyway.

There's been some discussion about whether having a certificate waitlisted and checking the comp upgrade box will inhibit it, wonder if that's related. (Anyone recently had the comp upgrade checked but still cleared into OY?)
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM

Originally Posted by Zorak
Wow, I think it has been speculated more than one that this was possible before the gate due to separate inventory classes but this is the first confirmed report I've seen anyway.

There's been some discussion about whether having a certificate waitlisted and checking the comp upgrade box will inhibit it, wonder if that's related. (Anyone recently had the comp upgrade checked but still cleared into OY?)
If the initial RUC request is coded incorrectly (very easy to do since it is apparently a completely manual process), even if OY inventory were to appear, an incorrectly coded RUC request is simply skipped / ignored. Remember, there is NO way for customers to see whether RUC requests are coded correctly. There are "indications" (such as the ghost seat map) that indicate that one or more steps were done, but those are only indications and do not confirm that the entire request was coded correctly.

OP's scenario could simply have been an incorrectly coded RUC, followed by OU inventory becoming available prior to travel. OU upgrades are "automated" (both the request of the upgrade, and the fulfillment of the upgrade) so the chances for screwups are less than with RUC upgrades.

I've given up on RUCs.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:26 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mnbp
OP's scenario could simply have been an incorrectly coded RUC, followed by OU inventory becoming available prior to travel.
Good point, definite possibility and probably more likely than OU opening before OY.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
Good point, definite possibility and probably more likely than OU opening before OY.
It is possible they weren't correctly applied; the agent that applied the RUC did so for my return flights also. And, despite me asking (and him confirming) that he waitlisted it for the long leg only, it has already cleared into RY for the short flight and remains waitlisted for the long one.

And yes, I had the complimentary upgrade box checked for all flights, so it seems it can clear into RY even with that checked.

So, that provides some evidence that he didn't know how to apply the RUCs properly. But also some evidence that he did (since one cleared, albeit for a flight I didn't want it to clear on).

At least one other agent confirmed that the RUC was applied to the outbound flight correctly before my complimentary UG cleared, so maybe OU really did open before any OY...
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
It is possible they weren't correctly applied; the agent that applied the RUC did so for my return flights also. And, despite me asking (and him confirming) that he waitlisted it for the long leg only, it has already cleared into RY for the short flight and remains waitlisted for the long one.

And yes, I had the complimentary upgrade box checked for all flights, so it seems it can clear into RY even with that checked.

So, that provides some evidence that he didn't know how to apply the RUCs properly. But also some evidence that he did (since one cleared, albeit for a flight I didn't want it to clear on)
An agent can clear a flight into OY or RY at the moment of the call if it’s available. There is no waitlisting required in this case.

So the agent placing that segment into your reservation isn’t really proof of anything.

If you asked the agent to only waitlist the long leg but they immediately put the short one’s OY space into your reservation, you had a bad agent and have likely identified the cause of the aforementioned problems.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
An agent can clear a flight into OY or RY at the moment of the call if it’s available. There is no waitlisting required in this case.

So the agent placing that segment into your reservation isn’t really proof of anything.

If you asked the agent to only waitlist the long leg but they immediately put the short one’s OY space into your reservation, you had a bad agent and have likely identified the cause of the aforementioned problems.
None of the segments had any availability when I called in (around 4 weeks ago). The short segment cleared into RY about a week ago. The outbound flights are tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.