FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Complimentary UG cleared before RUC
View Single Post
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:55 am
mnbp

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by appleguru
Not that I'm complaining, but it seems revenue management screwed up? I cleared into OU with a RUC waitlisted 3 days before my flight as a DM, before any OY inventory was ever made available.

Anyone else had this happen?

I had to call in and have them remove the RUC from the segment before I was able to access the seat map again; had a FC seat assignment in OU but the seat map would just throw an error message.
Originally Posted by Zorak
Wow, I think it has been speculated more than one that this was possible before the gate due to separate inventory classes but this is the first confirmed report I've seen anyway.

There's been some discussion about whether having a certificate waitlisted and checking the comp upgrade box will inhibit it, wonder if that's related. (Anyone recently had the comp upgrade checked but still cleared into OY?)
If the initial RUC request is coded incorrectly (very easy to do since it is apparently a completely manual process), even if OY inventory were to appear, an incorrectly coded RUC request is simply skipped / ignored. Remember, there is NO way for customers to see whether RUC requests are coded correctly. There are "indications" (such as the ghost seat map) that indicate that one or more steps were done, but those are only indications and do not confirm that the entire request was coded correctly.

OP's scenario could simply have been an incorrectly coded RUC, followed by OU inventory becoming available prior to travel. OU upgrades are "automated" (both the request of the upgrade, and the fulfillment of the upgrade) so the chances for screwups are less than with RUC upgrades.

I've given up on RUCs.