Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Which fare class for Delta One upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Looking for ATL to NRT this coming Saturday. Expert Flyer shows: J6 C6 D5 I5 Z0 P3 A2 G0 Y9 B9 M9 H9Q9 K9 L9 U2 T2 X0 V0 E0

Would I need Z to be available for Premium Select to Delta One upgrade? I'm new to regular Delta flying, but made Diamond this fall.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM
Expert Flyer does not show upgrade availability. I can tell you that it is not currently available.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
EF doesn't show -- you need to call and ask.

Even if not available you should go ahead and WL if you are interested when you call in -- if using miles you have to clear ahead of time, mileage upgrades won't go to the gate on day of departure (only GUCs do) and in both cases I believe anything that does clear of the WL is going to be prioritized by (1) status and (2) time of request so if you don't have the request in yet, you will lose out to any DM who has already put in an MUA or GUC request.

If using GUCs you'll need to go ahead and make your DM selection since it can take 1-2 hours for GUCs to appear in your account so you won't be able to apply them for WL or clearing until they are actually in your account (you can pull them up in your "my wallet" about 1-2 hours after you select them and read off the number to the agent), so you can't wait until day of on the GUCs either.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Cool

Thanks. Any public way of seeing the upgrade availability or do you need agent credentials to see that?

Any chance of checking other US - TYO (or even ICN) for Saturday 16th? And Thursday 21st TYO (or ICN) - US for Premium Select to Delta One?

Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zeikka
Thanks. Any public way of seeing the upgrade availability or do you need agent credentials to see that?

Any chance of checking other US - TYO (or even ICN) for Saturday 16th? And Thursday 21st TYO (or ICN) - US for Premium Select to Delta One?

No public way for DL.

Call in -- the agents on the phone are happy to look for you (or use Twitter). I've done both many times -- just a quick call and ask them if there is any availability on those days and they will search and let you know, the only downside is having the 5-10 minutes to have the call but it's a painless process once connected.

EDIT: ICN - MSP is sold out in J on the 21st so that doesn't work here
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's probably reasonable to assume that if "Z" inventory is zeroed out, there's probably no upgrade inventory either. Happy to hear of examples to negate this, but otherwise it's at least a good starting point for eliminating options.
Additionally, for flights well in advance, you'll probably need to see Z9 for there to be upgrade inventory, as a rule of thumb.
Closer in (e.g., < 2 weeks), they might release upgrades even with little or no Z or I inventory.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately it seems that no GUC availability on either date anywhere per Delta Twitter. Not sure whether to risk it or try to find cheapish Korean Air business class fare. Delta One fares to Tokyo are consistently quite crazy.

Kind of regret my unplannedl Diamond status, should have started to fly Air Canada for my Tokyo and Seoul trips back in May. The pricing from Boston or anywhere East Coast is much better. Now I do feel captive to Skyteam.

Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can try China Eastern, they often have good (e.g., ~$2-2.5k r/t) fares to Asia, including TYO (but might need to position down to NYC). MU doesn't play that well with Google Flights, though, so it's a little more cumbersome to find the availability.

Hard product on the intercontinental flights is supposedly good, but keep expectations low on food/service.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by zeikka

Kind of regret my unplannedl Diamond status, should have started to fly Air Canada for my Tokyo and Seoul trips back in May. The pricing from Boston or anywhere East Coast is much better. Now I do feel captive to Skyteam.

Thanks
I maintain status in 2 programs -- SkyTeam and Star -- for precisely this reason. Worth thinking about for you.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well you are also hitting a tough week. That's the last full week for any US business travelers before Thanksgiving -- so I imagine loads are especially high in the forward cabins for any airline.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.