Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buy your 2020 Status Email Arrived Today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy your 2020 Status Email Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
(SNIP) I‘m thinking about pulling the trigger on this to get me PM for next year which I feel that the cost of this would be offset with being able to use RUCs for an upcoming Hawaii trip I am planning for next year. I know that RUCs can be extremely difficult to use, my dates for this trip are pretty flexible and I am planning to go during the off-season so I assume that I should be able to find a day with space available. Am I crazy for considering this offer and do any of you feel that the jump from GM to PM is worth $1,600?
Just my personal experience, but I was easily able to book a trip to HI using RUCs confirmed at booking in 2016 with a bit of flexibility. I think I had to adjust the outbound by a day. I tried the same in 2018 and couldn't find any space within 2 weeks of my desired dates. I ended up waitlisting my RUCs and not clearing in either direction. Both trips were booked about 6 months out. I just wanted to caution you that I wouldn't necessarily count on being able to use these on that trip even with flexibility. Hopefully if you go for it, you have better luck than me!
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Just my personal experience, but I was easily able to book a trip to HI using RUCs confirmed at booking in 2016 with a bit of flexibility. I think I had to adjust the outbound by a day. I tried the same in 2018 and couldn't find any space within 2 weeks of my desired dates. I ended up waitlisting my RUCs and not clearing in either direction. Both trips were booked about 6 months out. I just wanted to caution you that I wouldn't necessarily count on being able to use these on that trip even with flexibility. Hopefully if you go for it, you have better luck than me!
Thanks, I guess I could call DL now and see if there is any space available on some potential dates. When I flew to KOA last year from SEA, I got a comp UG at the GM window for a flight just before Memorial Day weekend so I feel pretty optimistic. It’s also looking like I may have one more last min trip before the end of the year as well so if that happens, I would actually only need to pay $1,199.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
My dad got a very interesting diamond buy up offer yesterday, separate from the initial waive of buy status promotions. He’s been PM for years, but had a pretty big travel year and wound up at about 96k MQMs. If you logged into the “elevate your status” site, he got the typical offers quoted above. But, yesterday he got an offer to buy all the way directly to DM for $3399. Hadn’t seen anyone getting that low a price for being that far away, and wanted to report it.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
My dad got a very interesting diamond buy up offer yesterday, separate from the initial waive of buy status promotions. He’s been PM for years, but had a pretty big travel year and wound up at about 96k MQMs. If you logged into the “elevate your status” site, he got the typical offers quoted above. But, yesterday he got an offer to buy all the way directly to DM for $3399. Hadn’t seen anyone getting that low a price for being that far away, and wanted to report it.
Wow, this is really personalized pricing. Is he going to take it?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Would he still have about 21,000 rollover miles?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Would he still have about 21,000 rollover miles?
I kinda doubt it. I also got an email yesterday "With This Opportunity, 2020 Diamond Medallion Status Is In The Bag" but the link is to the same "Elevate Your Status" offer as before (it's possible the pricing is lower*, I didn't pay attention to the numbers previously because there was zero chance I was taking it )

i.e. this is just a "reminder" email for those who have not yet taken up DL on its generous offer and still aren't DM (I have ~10k to go but will be knocking that off before 12/31) and still links to purchasing the necessary MQMs, it's not complimentary gifted status. Which means you are still getting DM by hitting 125k and will only rollover whatever you have above that.

*EDIT: I looked at the pricing table again and while I can't swear to it, I'm pretty sure it's the same as it was when I received the first email.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zorak
I kinda doubt it. I also got an email yesterday "With This Opportunity, 2020 Diamond Medallion Status Is In The Bag" but the link is to the same "Elevate Your Status" offer as before (it's possible the pricing is lower*, I didn't pay attention to the numbers previously because there was zero chance I was taking it )

i.e. this is just a "reminder" email for those who have not yet taken up DL on its generous offer and still aren't DM (I have ~10k to go but will be knocking that off before 12/31) and still links to purchasing the necessary MQMs, it's not complimentary gifted status. Which means you are still getting DM by hitting 125k and will only rollover whatever you have above that.

*EDIT: I looked at the pricing table again and while I can't swear to it, I'm pretty sure it's the same as it was when I received the first email.
I also got the "With This Opportunity..." email on Thursday (12/19). It was $3,399 for 12.5k MQM + 18 MQS + 3399 MQD. Looking at my earlier post in this thread, that's exactly the same as one of the options in the Elevate Your Status offer I received last month, so I agree with Zorak that this is just an extra push for the existing buy-MQM offers.

There's fine print at the bottom saying "Bundle recommendation based on data pulled on 12/18/2019." - This indeed seems to be the case as I'm currently sitting at 114k MQM. Actually kind of nice to see; usually the DL promotion emails I get are geared toward a status or MQM count or set of trips that clearly got pulled a month prior.

In any case, I also won't be taking the offer. I have fewer international responsibilities at work now, so PM + 39k rollover is the better option for me all things considered.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're only about 400 short on MQDs, try to find some ticket you want (for a long weekend in December, perhaps someplace likely to be warmer than home) and have fun. Bonus points for maximizing the MQMs you can earn for rollover for about a $500 ticket.

Otherwise, one could have a lot of fun picking a $2500 ticket or so (for $2399 MQDs) that would earn a ton of MQMs for rollover, but there's no reason to give DL more money than necessary unless you really enjoy it.

BTW, I'm a firm believer in the fun long weekend trip, even if it's just to explore a great restaurant or enjoy a really good hotel for a night or so, rather than the genuine back-to-back immediate turnaround MR where you never leave the airport. I also favor buying sensible discounted premium cabin fares where the extra MQMs are needed or provide an advantage.
I made it with 3 days and a little over 100 MQD to spare.

Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I'm sitting at about 18,000 MQM currently for 2020. I am thinking about taking my offer (still available) of 12,500 MQM for $1,999. That, along with a Delta Reserve boost, should get me to 45,000 MQM pretty quickly. It should be easy to do an extra 40-50,000 MQM or so through the rest of the year to hit Platinum with some rollover to spare...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.