Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta nepotism over customer loyalty

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I have to ask how you know for sure the employees priority. I ask because DL and KLM policies dictate there are times employees get confirmed in J. Also KLM I believe has policies that allow employees to confirm a seat in J at T-X before departure.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Originally Posted by Christefan
Great points. Thanks for sharing them with the forum. How about the fact that provenly Delta prioritized their own employees over paying customers. Nobody seems to have any opinion on that....
I do have an option but it’s not a popular one. I just think upgrades are a crap shoot and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Ex INTL location, I would expect to lose way more often than win. I really don’t fault a company rewarding their employees.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Why did you give a stranger control of your personal property?

I would have loved to be ticketed on that flight by Delta. Easy EC261 downgrade claim at a minimum. Plus, that's how companies have attention drawn to problems - when they have to pay out. Imagine the gate agents defending themselves when the airline had to pay a 75% downgrade penalty, ha.
I had to get checked out of the old flight and KLM had to do that because, wait for it, control of my original flight was with KLM. Also I don’t normally view DL or KL agents as against me. Normally everyone works hard to help me. That is why I like DL. But oh well stuff happens.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
This complaint seems over-the-top. Things definitely happen weird at AMS, but it's not the policy and you're talking about ONE location where Delta's system is bypassed in favor of KLM's (because there are (essentially) no DL staff at the station).
I don't believe it is an excuse that it's not Delta employees and that it's "just KLM". Half of Delta's TATL flying is to either CDG or AMS. Further, joint ventures with foreign ground handling at partner hubs is a keystone part of Delta's overall business strategy to leverage select JV partners to manage international flying. As they continue to scale this strategy (with KE, LATAM, and others), they need to figure out how to manage their partners to either follow Delta policy or increase harmonization.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by hotelboy
So let me get this straight. You had a coach ticket. You flew in coach. You got to your destination on time. You are upset a company took care of their own. I have no problem here. You were not paying delta any extra straight cash for the upgrade. The employee probably was paying delta cash as part of their benefit to fly in delta one.
They were paying via a GUC that is an advertised benefit of gaining status on the airline and certainly reflects an exchange of value.

I can't vouch for whether OP's circumstances are true or not, but you're basically arguing that Delta has no obligation to provide the benefits that they publicly advertise as part of their loyalty program.
Spiff, LAX-1K, jamesteroh and 7 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
So let me get this straight. You had a coach ticket. You flew in coach. You got to your destination on time. You are upset a company took care of their own. I have no problem here. You were not paying delta any extra straight cash for the upgrade. The employee probably was paying delta cash as part of their benefit to fly in delta one.
What a silly response. The company's own published priorities, channeling their executive's priorities, is to take care of paying customers before employees.

To achieve Diamond Medallion and earn a Global Upgrade certificate isn't costless, as you are implying.

The employee was paying delta cash as part of their benefit? WHAT? Do you even know how any of this works? Clearly not because none of that is true.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ethernal
They were paying via a GUC that is an advertised benefit of gaining status on the airline and certainly reflects an exchange of value.
And let's not forget that Delta assigns a value to this certificate - $1000 USD right there in the T&Cs of it.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:23 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Maybe something has changed, but I was under the impression that, by rule, no GUCs were processed at AMS. Per my prior understanding, if you don't clear and get the ticket reissued before KLM takes control, you are out of luck. That was the way it was always explained to me.

I do wonder why Delta doesn't demand a bit more control in these matters. If a GUC can be applied at the airport in the US, and KLM is such an ostensibly seamless partner, I fail to understand why the same policy does not apply in AMS.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
Maybe something has changed, but I was under the impression that, by rule, no GUCs were processed at AMS. Per my prior understanding, if you don't clear and get the ticket reissued before KLM takes control, you are out of luck. That was the way it was always explained to me.

I do wonder why Delta doesn't demand a bit more control in these matters. If a GUC can be applied at the airport in the US, and KLM is such an ostensibly seamless partner, I fail to understand why the same policy does not apply in AMS.
KLM is able to apply them. However it must be processed in the KLM system at the point KLM takes over. What i believe wasnt allowed in past technically was a waitlist once under KLMs control.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Ok, some here might not like my opionion but...you are complaining that "they" not followed Delta's rules but that was not to be expected as this became an KLM flight at T-30, was handled fully by KLM and therefore KLM's rules were applied here. Delta does not handle their own flights out of AMS by choice, let KLM do this will save DL a couple Million $$ each year. Also DL could have upgraded you 328 days and 18 hours prior to departure but has choosen not to so -so you should have complained "why did Delta not cleared my upgraded prior to giving KLM control over this flight". AMS is actually one of the non-US station which is the easiest to use an GUC on DoD, try using one in CDG/FCO/MAD! If you want to use an GUC ex-europe it should have been cleared prior to T-24 ( or T-30 in some cases ). After that time you're in the hands of the "handling" agency which is handling DL flights out of that airport. On most airports these are outsourced third party companys unable to clear these ( or any other upgrade ). And as others have mentioned KLM employees at a certain rank do get confirmed international "J" upgrades ( 2/4/6 each year ) after working for the company for a certain amount of time. I do believe similiar rules exist for DL employees too.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
I don't believe it is an excuse that it's not Delta employees and that it's "just KLM".
It's NOT an excuse. Please go back and re-read my post.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:25 am

this is a terrible take but unsurprising given this poster's history
Zorak likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Marylou
I do have an option but it’s not a popular one. I just think upgrades are a crap shoot and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Ex INTL location, I would expect to lose way more often than win. I really don’t fault a company rewarding their employees.
Upgrades definitely ARE a crapshoot in the general case. That doesn't mean that certain individuals aren't putting their thumb on the scale in specific instances.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Mmmm bootleather
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by mr_hoff
Now, as bad as this process seems, it's significantly better than anything you'll find at CDG on Air France … I've never been able to get a GUC cleared there.
Huh.
I was able to, earlier this year. It was a bit of a hassle, since they had all sorts of problems with it... but I was able to out of CDG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.