Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Displeasing Lounge Access Rule (JFK-CUN in F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Displeasing Lounge Access Rule (JFK-CUN in F)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
So sounds like UA is the only carrier that allows pax traveling in the forward cabin without status to Canada and Mexico.

AA excludes all of North America except Mexico City.

If a DL Gold or other STE+ flies JFK-CUN regardless of cabin, would they be entitled access?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8

If a DL Gold or other STE+ flies JFK-CUN regardless of cabin, would they be entitled access?
yes. the only exclusions for skyteam elite plus access are the Caribbean and Guam.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by tbaiyun
There must be a domestic lounge in CUN, I've been there multiple times, on the second floor, right next to kind of shops or something. The lounge is pretty basic though, the only PRO I can say is the bottled water that you can bring onboard.
The AM flights from CUN-MEX leave from a different terminal than the other AM domestic flights. The terminal I was in for my CUN-MEX flight did have a lounge but not an AM lounge and no access was allowed.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
So sounds like UA is the only carrier that allows pax traveling in the forward cabin without status to Canada and Mexico.
Nope. As above, AS does, to both Canada and Mexico (as well as the U.S.).

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Only on paid FC tickets, right? IIRC FC award tickets aren't included, nor are instrument-supported or paid (cheap) FC upgrades.
Actually, AS allows lounge access on both paid and award F tickets (this includes discount First award tickets in their 'D' class also). They just don't allow access on upgraded revenue tickets, which would be 'U' class (into which all coach tickets are upgraded).
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by ekozie
Not sure about the date it changed, but it's definitely correct that the verbiage didn't refer D1 up until recently and access included international "Business" branded routes to Mexico (but not the Caribbean).
Correct. This is how I understood it before it changed sometime this year.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by metallo
.....but AFAIK only on PAID FC tickets.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
.....but AFAIK only on PAID FC tickets.
See my post above. You must have looked at it before I made a quick edit to add the second part. (Granted, if I were the OP, I wouldn't want to fly JFK-LAX/SEA-CUN just to get free lounge access ).
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by metallo
AS is special, in terms of the Big 3 it's UA only.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Only on paid FC tickets, right? IIRC FC award tickets aren't included, nor are instrument-supported or paid (cheap) FC upgrades.
Wrong! First/Business Class award redemptions also gain AL access, even if flying partners. Complimentary upgrades & upgrade instruments are not included, nor are complimentary upgrades to F on Y awards.

James
metallo likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Wrong! First/Business Class award redemptions also gain AL access, even if flying partners. Complimentary upgrades & upgrade instruments are not included, nor are complimentary upgrades to F on Y awards.

James
A most excellent point.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: Skyteam
Same thing happens to me all the time to Haiti.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by BradleyFlyer
That's your problem. First class tickets don't come with lounge access on any domestic airline that I'm aware of. You should have done a quick Google search ahead of time.
Alaska includes it, but then again their lounges are extraordinarily mediocre.
Often1 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
In the OP's defense, this wasn't a domestic flight, it's international hence the assumption of lounge access.

However, I believe Delta excludes flights to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean from SkyClub access.
I don’t believe DL excludes Canada...
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings
I don’t believe DL excludes Canada...
Yes, it does.

As covered several times above, DL does not determine SC access based on destination, but on class of service. D1 gets access. There is no D1 service to Canada, so there is no SC access to Canada.

Of all of the carriers, this is the easiest bright line. Terms such as "international" are confusing when they do not include places outside the US and they also then require the carrier to include back in premium domestic routes. For DL, JFK-LAX gets SC access because it is D1, rather than F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.