Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Displeasing Lounge Access Rule (JFK-CUN in F)

Displeasing Lounge Access Rule (JFK-CUN in F)

Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Angry Displeasing Lounge Access Rule (JFK-CUN in F)

My first time on Delta: I got to the SkyClub at JFK T4 and was turned away because my ticket, in First Class from JFK to Cancun, apparently doesn't include lounge access.

I made the assumption a First Class ticket would include lounge access.... how wrong I was.

Despite being a Star Gold member, I chose DL as I thought it would be better than UA is vile (assaults passengers) and AA (abrasive staff). So far, they're not off to a good start. Hoping they put on a better show in the air.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
I made the assumption a First Class ticket would include lounge access
That's your problem. First class tickets don't come with lounge access on any domestic airline that I'm aware of. You should have done a quick Google search ahead of time.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
I can see where there might be some confusion. I first class ticket to Europe would include lounge access. And Cancun is in Mexico, which is a foreign country.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by lucycan
I can see where there might be some confusion. I first class ticket to Europe would include lounge access. And Cancun is in Mexico, which is a foreign country.
Except there is no such thing as a first class ticket to Europe on Delta.

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
When I travel an airline I'm not familiar with I research as much as possible so there is no confusion. I've seen many people turned away from SkyClubs with F tickets.

This is the best guide:
https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by BradleyFlyer
That's your problem. First class tickets don't come with lounge access on any domestic airline that I'm aware of. You should have done a quick Google search ahead of time.
In the OP's defense, this wasn't a domestic flight, it's international hence the assumption of lounge access.

However, I believe Delta excludes flights to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean from SkyClub access.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
The DL website rather confusing on this -- especially for someone coming from Europe. It lists Mexico as a valid international destination that grants access to the SkyClub but then qualifies it by saying you must be in Delta One. Except DL doesn't fly any D1 to Mexico (or Canada for that matter) so why is it listed? Likewise if OP had been flying on AM in F/J instead of DL, OP would have been granted access.

Likewise for whatever it's worth, SkyTeam says on their website that an F/J passenger is entitled to lounge access on an international flight. As per the above DL defines Canada and Mexico as international flights (and ST only specifically excludes US - Caribbean flights, reflecting the DL view) so by that logic someone traveling in F/J on JFK - CUN should be granted lounge access.

aquamarinesteph and asnovici like this.

Last edited by Duke787; Oct 29, 2019 at 9:00 am
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:58 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BradleyFlyer
It's a little more nuanced than you suggest. Delta only offers lounge access to DeltaOne branded forward cabins. Unfortunately, Delta sells JFK-CUN as a First Class product and not DeltaOne.

As a point of reference, AA only offers lounge access on flights to/from Mexico City.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787

Likewise for whatever it's worth, SkyTeam says on their website that an F/J passenger is entitled to lounge access on an international flight. As per the above DL defines Canada and Mexico as international flights (and ST only specifically excludes US - Caribbean flights, reflecting the DL view) so by that logic someone traveling in F/J on JFK - CUN should be granted lounge access.
Yes, we have had these discussions a number of times. It is likely the case that the "First" class being referred to on the Skyteam policy page are the true International First Class products (such as those provided by the likes of AF and KE), and does not include the domestic "First" class offered by DL which as we all know bears no relationship to true International F products.

The "(excluding Delta)" wording was added to the website back in February. If there was no change in policy, why did they add that extra wording? Clearly it would be helpful if they cleaned up some of the language as well with that addition, but it's a bit challenging to believe that wording was added with no corresponding change in policy.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 29, 2019 at 10:08 am
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:00 am

If you have a lot of time to kill and really want SC access just buy an eligible Delta One same-day flight, gain SC access and then call to cancel it. For the 10 minutes you are double booked doubtful it will be flagged.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Oct 29, 2019 at 10:51 am
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
If you have a lot of time to kill and really want SC access just buy an eligible Delta One same-day flight, gain SC access and then call to cancel it.
If you have two different flights booked on the same day, a person or the computers may pick up that fact and cancel one. They might cancel the one you intend to fly.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It took less than 30 seconds to find the policy.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access

It has nothing to do with international vs. domestic and thus there is no confusion about Mexico. Traveling in D1 (international or domestic) and one receives SC access. That is it.

Thus, JFK-LAX in D1 gets SC access while JFK-LAX in F does not.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Often1; Oct 29, 2019 at 12:29 pm
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:53 am

IIRC correctly a couple of years ago when I used to fly in F to central America Sky Club access was allowed. A friend of mine was told that the policy of allowing access had changed recently when they flew earlier this year.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:01 am

I have flown DL JFK-CUN for the last few years in FC and I have always gotten Sky Club access. I flew JFK-CUN FC on October 19th and for the first time I was declined access to the Sky Club. The Sky Club agent said the policy changed in March 2019 and I was no longer allowed access to the Sky Club on this FC ticket. This type of FC ticket has had Sky Club access in the past but the policy has changed this year.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
I will be interested to see what happens if OP gets an AM marketed, DL operated flight.

Or vice-versa, if OP chooses to travel with AM, he may probably get lounge access. (There is no direct service JFK-CUN with AM though)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.