Wiki Posts
Search

Unusual fare diff - ATL/LAX DL vs AA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by EditingFX
When I'm booking a flight and get what experience says is a pricy fare, I'll do due diligence for my clients & double check against other carriers. Usually fare differences among the big 3 are within a reasonable range (call that a couple hundred maybe), but this time, DL was almost DOUBLE for main (Q) fare. $935 vs $485. Both nonstop, both flights within an hour of each other. ATL-LAX RT 11/5-7.

Thoughts on why such a huge difference in almost identical product?

So I'm shaking my head that as DL Diamond, I just bought a main cabin fare using my DL Reserve card on AA out of ATL. I'm totally used to paying somewhat more, being in a fortress city, but wow. Hate missing out on the MQMs & almost-for-sure UG (lots of empties in F), but gotta draw the line somewhere.
Yea, I feel for ya. Im in a similar situation in a way. I try to fly DL or ST carriers whenever possible, but there are a couple of fares from the OW carriers that have my attention. Not only are the timings better, but pricing is substantially better. I gotta make a decision for these flights to HKG and SYD. I would hate to give up the MQMs, but I also gotta draw the line somewhere too. I know CX is struggling so theyre discounting their fares. Ive never seen such low prices from them before!
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
It's counterintuitive, but sometimes the best way to make money is to send customers to your competitors. If Delta knows that this flight has a high demand for last-minute seats, that might be what is happening.

We used to do that back when I was a hotel Revenue Manager. (And by "we", I mean the revenue management software.) You raise rates so high that people would be silly to pay your rates when your competitor across the street is 50% less. They sell out and then anyone needing a room at the last minute has no choice but to stay with us because we're the only hotel with available room.

It's a bit of a gamble. But given the amount of data that airlines/hotels have with which to make predictions, it's not that risky.
That's actually really interesting.

Makes sense though, if you have a wealth of statistical data saying that someone's going to buy these fares at this price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.