Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Have You Delivered Delta's Mishandled Bags? (Crowdsourced Uber like baggage delivery)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have You Delivered Delta's Mishandled Bags? (Crowdsourced Uber like baggage delivery)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:16 am
Original Poster

The Economist reports: "Nearly half of Delta’s mishandled bags are delivered by travellers who use Roadie’s app to see if suitcases need dropping off along their drive home. The carrier’s head of cargo, Gareth Joyce, says this has cut costs, speeded up deliveries and boosted customer satisfaction. Alaska Airlines, Southwest and United also use Roadie to return lost luggage."

I'm curious whether anyone here has participated, and if so what your experience has been. The same app discusses apps that connect passengers with generous travel allowances to folks who need stuff shipped. If that takes off, I can see that leading to restrictions on the number of bags that airline status-holders can check without charge.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
If I'm running errands around the airport, then I'll turn on the Roadie app too see if any deliveries are available, particularly if I'm ready to head home and can find a bag that needs to go that way.
Roadie doesn't pay much. Many Uber/Lyft drivers complain about the pay but the Roadie structure is set-up not for you to go out driving anywhere, but to find drivers "headed that way" anyhow ... the way I use it.

I don't understand your comment at all about "restrictions on the number of bags that airline status-holders can check without charge".
Airlines have always had a need to deliver mis-handled bags. Roadie is just an alternative service and assigns one or two deliveries as soon as the bags are ready. This vs waiting until you have a van load, then it taking the driver hours to complete dozens of delivery stops.

A lot of Florists also use Roadie.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never heard of this app, but sounds interesting! Gotta love the gig economy...

Originally Posted by steve64
I don't understand your comment at all about "restrictions on the number of bags that airline status-holders can check without charge".
I think that was specifically related to a separate functionality, "The same app discusses apps that connect passengers with generous travel allowances to folks who need stuff shipped."
But even if one is a low-level elite with a 1-bag allowance, I'm sure many times the traveler is only doing carry-on, so there still exists the opportunity to "sell" that allowance to someone else via an app. Do any elite programs/levels allow 3 bags? I think most first/business class tickets do, I suppose that's a "loophole" they could close, especially if you figure the logistics of handling one third-party bag are probably not worth the money you'd make, but maybe 2-3 are.

I would also think there could be security implications to checking a bag that belongs to someone else, although perhaps with all bags being screened, it's less of an issue these days.
steve64 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What if the screeners find something and the bag is checked under your name, your ticket, and your FF number? This sounds scary.

In fact, delivering bags using a third party with random drivers who haven't been screened sounds scary too. The driver is being given someone's belongings as well as their name, home address (often), and contact information.
CarmenOM, kale73, Zeeb and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What if the screeners find something and the bag is checked under your name, your ticket, and your FF number? This sounds scary.

In fact, delivering bags using a third party with random drivers who haven't been screened sounds scary too. The driver is being given someone's belongings as well as their name, home address (often), and contact information.

This is delivering mishandled bags on arrival. Bags have been screened and flown to destination already.
How does this differ from the current situation? Bag delivery has been done by some questionable characters, only with a company truck.

I briefly looked at this when it came out as my commute takes me near enough MSP, delivery points were either not in my direction or pay was laughable, $10-$12 for airport to downtown including the hassle of parking and collecting the bag.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM

My sentiments exactly. What happens if something turns up missing? Good luck trying to hold Delta accountable.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM

I was thinking the same as you, but Roadie's website states, "For the safety of our community, each Roadie Driver passes a safety screening that consists of professional third-party background and DMV checks. Once they start delivering Gigs, Drivers must maintain a minimum 4-star rating to continue driving in our community."

Still, I'm sure airline employees go through a much more in-depth hiring process, so I'd trust them more than a driver for Roadie.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:38 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Related thread:

DL has uberx-equivalent drivers deliver luggage

As i mentioned then I was on the other side of this in 2017 for receiving a delayed bag. The program apparently began in 2015.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eneq
Still, I'm sure airline employees go through a much more in-depth hiring process, so I'd trust them more than a driver for Roadie.
I'm pretty sure they're not airline employees, but third-party contractors, and we have no idea how in-depth the hiring process is. I would hope at bare minimum they do a criminal & DMV check, plus potentially an interview, but maybe that doesn't even count for anything, so the screening is effectively the same as for this app.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
This is delivering mishandled bags on arrival. Bags have been screened and flown to destination already.
How does this differ from the current situation? Bag delivery has been done by some questionable characters, only with a company truck.

I briefly looked at this when it came out as my commute takes me near enough MSP, delivery points were either not in my direction or pay was laughable, $10-$12 for airport to downtown including the hassle of parking and collecting the bag.
I think MSP was meaning the part about connecting passengers with bag allowances to people needing things shipped.

I feel this violates the law. Basically this is cargo and you have to be a known shipper, or use a known shipping service to send items on commercial passenger flights.

Heck outside US they still ask if you packed your own bags, know what's inside, and did you take packages from anyone you don't know.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerCO

Heck outside US they still ask if you packed your own bags, know what's inside, and did you take packages from anyone you don't know.
I've not been asked those question for a long time and that includes UK Domestic, UK to EU and UK to US and returns.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I've not been asked those question for a long time and that includes UK Domestic, UK to EU and UK to US and returns.
When flying US airlines you should be. Foreign airlines are subject to different rules. However plenty still have to ask.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think that was specifically related to a separate functionality, "The same app discusses apps that connect passengers with generous travel allowances to folks who need stuff shipped."
Ahhh ... thanks for that interpretation. I was still in the mindset of describing how Roadie worked so read "generous travel allowance" meaning I have an open schedule so can go a little out of my way to help folks with something to ship.

I just looked around on the app and see no mention of any "sub apps".

I agree about carrying other folks bags on a flight sounds scary. I doubt TSA would like that.

And I agree that there's some also scariness with "third party with random drivers who haven't been screened".
However, keep in mind that bag delivery is done third party anyhow. Roadie is simply another option ... one that delivers on a case-by-case basis .. which seems to be working better for the airline and the passenger.
If nothing else, it's easier for the airline to track the individual bags once in the driver's hands, and there's less chance for the driver mis-deliver the bag.

And while I'm only 1 data point out of tens of thousands, I think the typical Roadie driver is a "little less scary" than the 3rd party contract driver.
In theory: If you ever fly DL to PHX and they misplace your bag, I may be the driver dropping it off at your hotel.
In reality: I'm a retiree who will see if I can make a few buck when I'm around the airport, yet typically buy First Class tickets vs chancing an upgrade. Including the Delta DC-9 retirement flight MSP-ATL where I rode across the aisle from you.
You just never know.
bitterproffit and ijgordon like this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I watched the video. They insist on a picture of you with your luggage at delivery?

I don't want someone taking my picture just because Delta lost my luggage.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by josephstern
I watched the video. They insist on a picture of you with your luggage at delivery?

I don't want someone taking my picture just because Delta lost my luggage.
Not with passenger, but of luggage at the drop off point. They've left on my porch numerous times. They take pic of bag on the porch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.