Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Quick Way to generate a small ~1000 or less miles for a redemption? (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick Way to generate a small ~1000 or less miles for a redemption? (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Thanks for the helpful replies. I went with the $40 transfer, but added my Lyft number, too!
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Hopefully the miles you need don’t increase when you try to ticket.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: Delta GM
AMEX has a "Fly Now, Earn Later" where they advance miles before you earn then from cc spend. I'm not sure if they post instantly, though, and obviously requires a DL AMEX.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The "Fly Now, Earn Later" miles post instantly and seem like they were designed for those kinds of situations where you're just short for an award ticket
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by beachmouse
The "Fly Now, Earn Later" miles post instantly and seem like they were designed for those kinds of situations where you're just short for an award ticket
Does the option appear automatically if someone with a DL AmEx card is logged in and searching for an award ticket but doesn't have quite enough miles, or must one halt/abandon the search to call AmEx and/or go to another page/website to opt to borrow a few miles?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does the option appear automatically if someone with a DL AmEx card is logged in and searching for an award ticket but doesn't have quite enough miles, or must one halt/abandon the search to call AmEx and/or go to another page/website to opt to borrow a few miles?
The times I've used it, I've had to push from AmEx's end and wade through a but of language on their web site about how I'd be charged for the miles I'd been advanced if I didn't spend my, say, $2K on that card over the next six months in order to pay back the advance. I think I might have also had to log out of the Delta site and then log back in to see the new miles total. While in theory the 4-5 minutes it took might let a hard to get award ticket reprice to something higher, the times I've used it, it's been for pretty ordinary domestic routes and the number of miles required was the same on first and second quotes
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:37 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
One note about the Lyft miles -- it's only on the base fare, rounded down. If your ride costs $9.99 you earn 9 SkyPesos (or 18 if it's an airport ride with the 2x multiplier) -- any tip you leave is not included. In case anyone tries to hit a specific number
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Would a driver be willing to cruise around until the trip is sufficiently expensive or would they worry that being traced on the app could cause trouble for them for not taking a direct route or not delivering passenger to the destination?

BTW, do you get miles even if the ride is being comped, from example due to a credit card offer?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Next stupid question. Can you use the Fly Now, Earn Later and make up the difference other ways than CC spend? Can I use it to get the last bit I need to book a flight, then use the miles earned on a revenue ticket?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Next stupid question. Can you use the Fly Now, Earn Later and make up the difference other ways than CC spend? Can I use it to get the last bit I need to book a flight, then use the miles earned on a revenue ticket?
My *guess* would be no since I believe you're borrowing the miles from AmEx, not DL.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Rut Dog
I need 24 miles more to get the ticket I want.

Are there any instantly posting bonuses?

I remember from days past you might occasionally do a certain survey, sweepstakes, or email sign up and get miles in a jiffy. But I'm completely out of the loop these days.

Transfers from HHonors and Hertz don't appear to be instant.

The cash options I've found are:
  • Transfer 1,000 for $40
  • Purchase 2,000 for $70
  • Buy with points/miles, save 5,000 miles for $90
Had you tried calling Delta to see if they would spot you the 24 miles? Some programs used to do this; I don't know how common it is these days.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would a driver be willing to cruise around until the trip is sufficiently expensive or would they worry that being traced on the app could cause trouble for them for not taking a direct route or not delivering passenger to the destination?

BTW, do you get miles even if the ride is being comped, from example due to a credit card offer?
Does your tip also earn points? If so, book an "around the block" trip and drop a sufficient tip to make up the difference. If not...well, find someplace to grab a burger ;-)

(NGL, I've done silly stuff like that a few times...generally to In-N-Out when I'm out west.)
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Does your tip also earn points?
No.

Originally Posted by Zorak
One note about the Lyft miles -- it's only on the base fare, rounded down. If your ride costs $9.99 you earn 9 SkyPesos (or 18 if it's an airport ride with the 2x multiplier) -- any tip you leave is not included. In case anyone tries to hit a specific number
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: Delta GM
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
No, the miles need to be paid back via AMEX spend.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amex Membership Reward transfers should be instant, although I'm guessing OP didn't have a MR account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.