Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Quick Way to generate a small ~1000 or less miles for a redemption? (Consolidated)

Quick Way to generate a small ~1000 or less miles for a redemption? (Consolidated)

Old Mar 23, 16, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Question Quick Way to generate a small ~1000 or less miles for a redemption? (Consolidated)

Hi guys,

I'm about 700 miles short of an award.

Any quick way to get 1000 miles? Apparently I don't have transferable membership rewards. I do have a Delta Amex, but my statement, and presumably my points, won't post for 3 more weeks.

Is there anything QUICK I can do to get points, besides paying the $70 it would cost to buy them? I'm guessing more of the "free" point things out there take some time to come through? (Skymiles dining, etc).
Old Mar 23, 16, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo View Post
Hi guys,

Any quick way to get 1000 miles?
The quickest (which is what you asked) is to buy them. 70$ is not much.
Old Mar 23, 16, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Do you have any other programs that allow transfer into Delta?

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-to-miles.html

(Note: the transfer ratio is better for some programs than others)
Old Mar 23, 16, 11:19 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo View Post
Hi guys,

Any quick way to get 1000 miles? Apparently I don't have transferable membership rewards. I do have a Delta Amex, but my statement, and presumably my points, won't post for 3 more weeks.

Is there anything QUICK I can do to get points, besides paying the $70 it would cost to buy them? I'm guessing more of the "free" point things out there take some time to come through? (Skymiles dining, etc).
SkyMiles shopping posts fairly quickly, I believe.
Old Mar 23, 16, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
There was some similar thread recently that I can't find immediately (Google search finds some older threads too) but it was suggested that AMEX and/or Delta may be willing to lend you a small number of miles against your future purchases but results may be highly variable depending whom you talk to and your history with them. I'd call and ask...
Old Mar 23, 16, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you have a flight very soon, accept a FCM offer *before* the day of travel. Check the rules to make sure that you'll get the additional miles from your reissued ticket.

Or you can even just up fare (voluntarily pay more for a higher fare class) within coach/FC/business class so that the increased MQDs mean that you earn more miles on the trip. Call DL to do this; on most fares, it should be possible for one direction or even one segment only. There should not be a fee but YMMV.

Do purchased C+ seats earn RDMs? Do they post at time of purchase or time of travel? This could be another option.

Finally I don't advise it because SPG points are worth much more, but you can transfer from Starwood to DL. I'm not sure what the minimum is, but larger amounts get bonuses.

IIRC DL participates in the points exchange website, but the terms of exchange tend to be terrible.

It's probably a better deal to buy points outright from DL rather than pay DL to transfer points into your account from a friend or relative, although check the details if you know someone with orphaned DL miles.
Old Mar 23, 16, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM
As others have said, the quickest way to get the 1,000 miles is to buy the 1,000 miles for $70, which should post nearly instantaneously to your account. That said, I would recommend evaluating the cost of the $70 you're spending for 1,000 miles to the total mile required for the ticket or what the cash value of the ticket would be if you bought it outright. If this is a 25K domestic US award for a ticket you could otherwise get for $250-$300, I would say spending $70 to get 1K miles to get the award is not necessarily the best return, and would likely recommend buying the ticket cash and saving the miles for your next award. OTOH, if this was a ticket that might otherwise might be really expensive (such as you're 700 miles shy of what you need for an Int'l Business award), then I would say spend the money to get the miles, book the ticket, and don't look back.
Old Mar 23, 16, 3:29 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
As others have said, the quickest way to get the 1,000 miles is to buy the 1,000 miles for $70, which should post nearly instantaneously to your account. That said, I would recommend evaluating the cost of the $70 you're spending for 1,000 miles to the total mile required for the ticket or what the cash value of the ticket would be if you bought it outright. If this is a 25K domestic US award for a ticket you could otherwise get for $250-$300, I would say spending $70 to get 1K miles to get the award is not necessarily the best return, and would likely recommend buying the ticket cash and saving the miles for your next award. OTOH, if this was a ticket that might otherwise might be really expensive (such as you're 700 miles shy of what you need for an Int'l Business award), then I would say spend the money to get the miles, book the ticket, and don't look back.
Good advice.

IIRC there are big economies of scale too in buying miles from DL, so if you need to buy a thousand, does it make sense to buy more of them for use later? In most circumstances the answer is no, but it's still something to consider.
Old Mar 23, 16, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Good advice.

IIRC there are big economies of scale too in buying miles from DL, so if you need to buy a thousand, does it make sense to buy more of them for use later? In most circumstances the answer is no, but it's still something to consider.
The marginal price for the excess miles is still ridiculously high unless you happen to need just that many.

I can't see spending an extra $700 on tickets (upfaring), though if there's an FCM offer that's almost good enough, it might be worth it.

Aren't there some purchases that get more than 10 miles per dollar? (checks) FTD is 20 miles/$, so get somebody $35 worth of flowers and get 700 miles.
Old Mar 23, 16, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by sethb View Post
The marginal price for the excess miles is still ridiculously high unless you happen to need just that many.

I can't see spending an extra $700 on tickets (upfaring), though if there's an FCM offer that's almost good enough, it might be worth it.

Aren't there some purchases that get more than 10 miles per dollar? (checks) FTD is 20 miles/$, so get somebody $35 worth of flowers and get 700 miles.
It might take some time for the FTD miles to post.
Old Mar 23, 16, 9:47 pm

Good advice.

I guess DL could always rise the price per mile in the future but right now it's a straight linear scale at $0.035/mile whether you buy 2,000 miles or 60,000 miles, so probably little point in buying more than what you need, unless you'd find seeing an account balance that close to 0 just too depressing.
Old Mar 23, 16, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Anyone seen this site:

https://buyairlinemiles.com

For a mere $23 I can buy 1000 Skypesos. Or for a mere $23 I can get no miles and a bunch of hassle.

There's also this one

https://www.themileageclub.com/

I'm guessing since I've never heard of them, it must be scam city. If its true, it'd be a great MS scheme for Spend.
Old Mar 24, 16, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
I guess DL could always rise the price per mile in the future but right now it's a straight linear scale at $0.035/mile whether you buy 2,000 miles or 60,000 miles, so probably little point in buying more than what you need, unless you'd find seeing an account balance that close to 0 just too depressing.
Isn't there a fixed service fee regardless of the number of miles purchased or transferred from another FF account?
Old Mar 24, 16, 10:39 am

Isn't there a fixed service fee regardless of the number of miles purchased or transferred from another FF account?
For transferring, yes, there is a service charge. $30.00 fee and then $0.01 per mile transferred. So theoretically the rate per mile drops the more miles you transfer, although I don't know what the benefit would be beyond transferring more miles than you need to unless you were planning future purchases as well. For buying miles, no - No service charge. Now you may also get hit with taxes (I just did a dummy attempt at buying miles to see if a service fee was and there was no service charge, but there was an approximate 9% tax on it. I’m unsure if transferring miles hits you with a tax as well. I’m also unsure if that tax is imposed by the state I live in (Washington) or if that sales tax is the rate where DL HQ is in ATL. But probably a factor to consider in.

As a side note (and probably completely useless knowledge to anyone) - Technically if you only transfer 1,000 miles to someone for $40 ($30 service fee and $10 for 1,000 miles at $0.01/mile, working out to $0.04/mile) you’re paying a higher rate than if you bought 1,000 miles at $0.035/mile. However, you can’t buy only 1,000 miles through the buy miles page – you can only buy miles in 2,000 mile increments, so the fewest miles you can buy is 2,000 for $70. If you transfer 2,000 miles, it would cost $40, working out to $0.02/mile. As you transfer more miles, the rate slowly approaches $0.01/mile with the $30.00 fee being absorbed across more miles (but never technically hitting $0.01/mile )

Perhaps a little more useful: one can always look at the rates at Mileage Boost miles one can add to their itinerary when flying and how those rates compare to buying/transferring miles. 1,000 miles for $29 ($0.029/mile), 2,000 miles for $44 ($0.022/mile), and 3,000 miles for $59 ($0.019/mile) - and if you have multiple segments, you can buy miles for each segment, meaning possibly up to 18,000 miles if you had two connections each way, for $0.019/mile. Something to consider if you have an upcoming trip and are slightly short of where you need to be on an award (especially if you consider that even as a DM, the mileage accrual rate with revenue based earning is ~$0.09/mile at 11 miles per $1 in spend on a DL flight (~$0.077/mile if you are a DM getting 11 miles per $1 plus 2 additional miles per $1 for putting the ticket on a DL AmEx).

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Mar 24, 16 at 5:28 pm
Old Jul 25, 19, 12:33 am

IDEAS: Quick/Easy 500 Skymiles for Delta?

Searching for some ideas on how to earn a quick and easy 500 (or more) Skymiles with Delta.

I thought of the Dining Program...but how long does it take to post?

Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: