Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What DL “enhancement” would be the last straw for you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What DL “enhancement” would be the last straw for you?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mayhem
Interesting question!
I think many of us are somewhat stuck with DL no matter what based on the routes you fly, but for me the diversification to getting PM at DL and PM equivalent at AA or UA would start if they
- remove GUCs
- remove the "lifetime" (*annual renewing yes) MM status growth; though once I'm 2 MM I won't care anymore
Other less important changes would be;
- remove service to Brussels lol since 90% of my personal flights are JFK-BRU
- remove award redeposit waivers
- remove skyclub membership (as choice benefit)
- remove domestic FC upgrades (out of principle, I rarely fly domestic)
I am partly worried that by starting this thread we are giving DL market research some ammo here to feed upward to the executive team

Hopefully none of these are part of the next round of “enhancements”
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josephstern
Rollover MQMs

This is a good one - I may have to add it to my initial list to be my third.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Rollover MQMs
I'm least worried about that one since DL knows very well that the rollover MQMs are what keeps people flying DL when they have a choice. I thought it was the smartest real enhancement from their side ever.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I'm least worried about that one since DL knows very well that the rollover MQMs are what keeps people flying DL when they have a choice. I thought it was the smartest real enhancement from their side ever.
Agreed... it's the only thing that stops me from trying to get 1K on United. Delta will just continue to devalue MQMs with increasing MQD requirements over time.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:40 am
Original Poster

....I thought it was the smartest real enhancement from their side ever.
This has been an oxymoron with delta recently
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
The last straw for my wife and I as Reserve card holder said would be if they made the BOGO certificates any harder to use. They are the only remaining justification for us maintaining our two accounts, and last year we find them quite hard to redeem even when booking far (7-8 months) in advance.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by brandonpkt
This is a good one - I may have to add it to my initial list to be my third.
Highly unlikely they will remove this or loads will noticeably decrease in Q4...and DL knows it.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll also add, if they get rid of at-booking complimentary C+ upgrades.

Then I'd have to go back to American for most domestic flights. Ugh.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
How about continued Basic Economy insanity? Earlier this year there was $100 fare round-trip fare difference (looks like it's back down to "only" $70) on short sub-2 hour routes like ATL-BWI - $196 for BE and $296 for Main Cabin. I ended up booking my first Spirit trip (in their big seat up front with priority boarding and carry-on package) for $40 less than a main cabin Delta ticket.

If that proliferates and expands, I would care less about getting status on Delta since the majority of the benefits are realized during leisure travel (upgrades are non-existent during business travel hours).
hi55us and Spanish like this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold; Hertz Pres
Rollover MQMs
agreed and MQM bonuses via annual spend.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:20 pm

Taking away the RDMs at each AMEX MQM threshold😀
Romelle likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:11 pm

They leave Atlanta so I can't get non-stops to most locations I fly too..

Since I think that's unlikely I will keep flying Delta. The truth is that convivence is more important to me than the 'fluff' and I will walk before I get on Spirit
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:26 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by ethernal
How about continued Basic Economy insanity? Earlier this year there was $100 fare round-trip fare difference (looks like it's back down to "only" $70) on short sub-2 hour routes like ATL-BWI - $196 for BE and $296 for Main Cabin. I ended up booking my first Spirit trip (in their big seat up front with priority boarding and carry-on package) for $40 less than a main cabin Delta ticket.

If that proliferates and expands, I would care less about getting status on Delta since the majority of the benefits are realized during leisure travel (upgrades are non-existent during business travel hours).
I seriously don't understand what people's gripe about Basic Economy is. People don't care about Medallion benefits or being the first people on the plane. Other than that, there really isn't a difference between BE and Main Cabin. I have a cobranded Amex so why should I have to pay extra for a ticket that includes boarding before Zone 4? I don't typically care where I am seated. I am happy to pay $196 for BE to fly on an airline that will get me where I need to be in a timely manor. Basically, BE allows Delta to "raise" prices while keeping budget conscious customers happy. I think it's great especially because United and AA don't include a carry on with their BE products.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Honestly, I'm with DL because Untied did literally everything in their power to make sure I would bend over backwards to avoid them, and when I started flying regularly for work, AA didn't serve my home airport (and neither do Southwest, JetBlue, etc.)
So for me to give up on DL would take something rather extraordinary - like, say, getting bought out by Untied.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL DM
  • Getting rid of no fee redeposit of award tickets for PM/DM (although introducing BE award tickets was a move in this direction)
  • No fee SDC for GM+
  • First class SDC rules
  • GUC application on DL-marketed, KL-operated flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.