Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What DL “enhancement” would be the last straw for you?

Old Oct 3, 19, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond

Given the big DL “enhancement” of the AmEx Reserve this week (loss of 30k RDM per card), I am wondering what potential “enhancement” would really be the last straw for you? (eg no further effort towards DL status)

Ill go first for me:
+ Official valuation of miles at 1 cent (PWM only) or artificially getting us there (I can often still get 2 cents/mile domestically; international business is sadly decimated)
OR
+ First class upgrades are removed officially or my upgrade rate as a DM with Reserve is <50%

How about you?
Old Oct 3, 19, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by brandonpkt View Post
Given the big DL “enhancement” of the AmEx Reserve this week (loss of 30k RDM per card), I am wondering what potential “enhancement” would really be the last straw for you? (eg no further effort towards DL status)

Ill go first for me:
+ Official valuation of miles at 1 cent (PWM only) or artificially getting us there (I can often still get 2 cents/mile domestically; international business is sadly decimated)
OR
+ First class upgrades are removed officially or my upgrade rate as a DM with Reserve is <50%

How about you?
There are a lot of things in a vacuum that would be deal breakers, but it depends on what AA/UA et al do.
manually likes this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 9:23 am
was WWads

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Losing the award redeposit fee waiver, or a severe gutting of SDC.
sdadept, golfr, mot29 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by brandonpkt View Post
I think this illustrates well the different type of customers, and how they are affected. I know someone who disliked the change in credit card benefits (the prior one where you need 250k to get a waiver for DM), though it was purely symbolic outrage for him as he wasn't actually affected (he buys enough ticket to hit the spend anyway).
If you talk about a person who qualifies based on their company paying for them, these credit card things matter naught to them. It only matters to people who don't qualify purely based on buying tickets and flying. And in terms of redeemable miles: well, I think most people don't know the value of their miles well anyway. They just redeem when it is a good deal. I know someone who redeemed a flight cause it was "cheap" with miles. Well, yes, but buying it outright is even cheaper (but miles are free!) so to us it wouldn't be worth it (less than 1cpm).
Most people in the world don't use a credit card because of perks. They use it cause they don't have cash (either literally or figuratively).
gooselee likes this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 9:33 am

Programs: DL 1.3MM GM , Marriott-Platinum Premier+Lifetime , Hilton-Blue, Nat'l-Emerald Club Executive Elite
My last straw was when they started "rewarding" fly by not flying (e.g. credit cards).
Old Oct 3, 19, 9:52 am

Programs: DL DM
Changes to SDC for purchased F tickets. Being ATL based, at this point I only collect SM to position my family of four in F/C+ to JFK/LAX for TATL/TPAC flights in J on whatever carrier has the best price/product/route for our trip as I have gone completely free agent.

But even with major gutting and changes, I am ATL based and about the only routes that I take regularly that has any semblance of competition for non-stop flights are LAX and NYC. But gutting FC SDC would truly just have me buying the cheapest F ticket where a direct competitor exists.
sdadept likes this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by DAL-767 View Post
My last straw was when they started "rewarding" fly by not flying (e.g. credit cards).
I am one of the few who is thrilled with the new changes. I have always paid for 2 @ $450 Reserve cards to get 60,000 MQMs to reach PM for the free redeposits which my family of 5 takes full advantage of all year long. Now I only need to pay for one $550 Reserve card. Granted, I will lose the 60,000 RDMs but having one and only one credit card to manage all year long will save me time.
Old Oct 3, 19, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by DAL-767 View Post
But they've been doing that for 20+ years. If you are referring to the annual spend-based MQM Boosts, those have been around since at least 2007.
Old Oct 3, 19, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt
If they stopped selling discounted FC.
WillBarrett_68 and cmd320 like this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:18 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL DM360 1MM
Interesting question!
I think many of us are somewhat stuck with DL no matter what based on the routes you fly, but for me the diversification to getting PM at DL and PM equivalent at AA or UA would start if they
- remove GUCs
- remove the "lifetime" (*annual renewing yes) MM status growth; though once I'm 2 MM I won't care anymore
Other less important changes would be;
- remove service to Brussels lol since 90% of my personal flights are JFK-BRU
- remove award redeposit waivers
- remove skyclub membership (as choice benefit)
- remove domestic FC upgrades (out of principle, I rarely fly domestic)
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta - DM, MM; Hilton - Gold, Marriott - Dropped
I pretty much agree with Mayhem. FOr me, the GUC and Skyclub are pretty important. I also sometimes use RUCs to get to the top of the UG list domestically and keep my daughter GM, so the choice benefits are important.
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:33 am

Rollover MQMs
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:39 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
If DL stops carrying Woodford Reserve on the planes I'm out.
mattya9, hi55us, puck021 and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
I am one of the few who is thrilled with the new changes. I have always paid for 2 @ $450 Reserve cards to get 60,000 MQMs to reach PM for the free redeposits which my family of 5 takes full advantage of all year long. Now I only need to pay for one $550 Reserve card. Granted, I will lose the 60,000 RDMs but having one and only one credit card to manage all year long will save me time.
I totally get the administrative simplification and happy that it works for you! At least someone is making out!

You are not bothered by the value loss of the 60k miles? As I said in my reply to you on the other thread, that is about $1250 in value to me personally.

Once again, happy that this was an actual enhancement vs a “DL enhancement” for at least one person
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post
If DL stops carrying Woodford Reserve on the planes I'm out.
I like your style.

For me it is when they stop serving ham sandwiches. Oh wait...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: