Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

JFK-LAX on a Monday - best RUC chances?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM

PM here who never flies transcon. Want to use a RUC for JFK-LAX on a Monday. I can take the 1:50, 3:30 or 4:55 departure. All look to be 763's.

For those who fly this route frequently, can you offer any advice as to which one might give me the best shot?

Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I don't fly JFK-LAX anymore, but I'd guess the 1:50 would be the best shot. It takes up more of the work day than the later flights. The last few times I flew this route I was able to confirm RUCs about a month in advance, provided they weren't peak times. Probably changed now though.
bgriff and manacit like this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2.5MM
I fly JFK-LAX on a regular basis and I'd agree, your best bet is in the afternoons for the reason mentioned by Billy above. To give you a sense of what the loads might be like, take a look at the seat plans for this Monday's flights, then keep an eye on these flights over the next several days. that will give you a sense of what the load is currently and how it fills up with late buyers. It isn't a perfect approach, but over time, I've found it to be a useful indicator.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much guys
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I've had trouble clearing RUCs early to/from LA no matter the time of day, but I would agree 1:50 is better. When you get to the late afternoon, you are going to compete with people who realized they were done early and are trying to SDC or buy an earlier flight out.

Last RUC I used was LAS-JFK, with plenty of apparent availability in D1, but it did not clear until the morning of a noon flight, even tho I applied the RUC months in advance.
royevans75 and cmx like this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
I have had good luck on the 3:30 flight a few times. Often seems to be some no shows or last minute Same Day Changes to a later flight on that one. I always book the 3:30 when I can if I want to use a RUC. I think there maybe more connections from Europe on the earlier flight at 1:50 as that one has not worked as well at least for me.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
I have had good luck on the 3:30 flight a few times. Often seems to be some no shows or last minute Same Day Changes to a later flight on that one. I always book the 3:30 when I can if I want to use a RUC. I think there maybe more connections from Europe on the earlier flight at 1:50 as that one has not worked as well at least for me.
That's interesting, thx.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:53 am

The 1:50 versus 3:30 is a toss up and on any given day it is impossible to say which would have better odds. I would figure out what time would a connecting flight need to arrive to meet MCT and look on a site like flightradar24 to see what flights can only connect to 1:50 and 3:30 flights. In terms of business people, the 3:30 is more likely to have them because if your meeting ends at 1/1:30 you can still make that flight, but it will also have more no shows or reschedules because a meeting ran long (to make the 1:50 you have to be done by Noon at very latest which seems unlikely for a Monday)
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
While it's possible, realistically I wouldn't get too excited about an RUC clearing, even at the gate.

IMO the bigger issue (more so than departure time) is that you'll be a PM on an RUC. That already puts you behind any DMs using GUCs and RUCs. JFK-LAX is an elite-heavy route with a heavy-paid D1 cabin, with a lot of last minute paid D1 seats. In addition to all of that, as someone else mentioned, you'd also be competing with SDCs from (paid) D1 on other flights 24 hours out. In sum, upgrades are rare, even for DMs.

Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
I doubt this would be much of an issue on a Monday. But now I'm curious - I wonder how many seats to Europe DL sells to/from LAX connecting through JFK, especially in D1. Surely almost all of those routes would be better served via LAX-CDG/AMS/LHR-XXX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.