Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond access to KLM lounge AMS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Diamond access to KLM lounge AMS

I believe my SkyClub membership no longer gets me into a KLM lounge. Looking for a place to spend a few hours on connection at AMS in early 2020. Can I just purchase access for my family to the KLM lounge in AMS? Any idea on cost?

Really just looking for a place for my 2 small children to nap. I was thinking there were some public areas at AMS for this, but I think the quiet room at the KLM lounge would be better. Open to ideas.

FYI - not enough time to get a hotel room, which is what I'd do if I had 4+ hours. Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're a DM traveling on a SkyTeam same day international itinerary, you and ONE guest are entitled to access any SkyTeam airline operated lounge, but you cannot use it as an arrivals lounge.

I'm not aware that the KLM lounge sells access.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Thank you. I was thinking that DL eliminated access to these lounges early this year??

So even if I am in main cabin, you are saying that as a DM on a connecting itinerary at AMS that I can get myself and one person in. Thank you!
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lucycan
Thank you. I was thinking that DL eliminated access to these lounges early this year??

So even if I am in main cabin, you are saying that as a DM on a connecting itinerary at AMS that I can get myself and one person in. Thank you!
Yes, but you have no privileges from DL at CONTRACT lounges, places where DL would pay the airport or a lounge operator for access or pay some nonpartner airline (such as QF at HKG, RIP) for access. This was the change.

AFAIK if it's a KLM flight, they would still grant access to contract lounges that KLM uses; IIRC VA/VS grant access on coach tickets, but only for DM and PM (bilateral partnership).

Within SkyTeam, it's a rule that SkyTeam ElitePlus (GM+) and ONE guest get same day international access to SkyTeam operated lounges (which apparently includes official SkyTeam branded lounges (such as at LHR T2 IIRC) as well as SkyTeam carrier operated lounges), but DL is able to say no on contract lounges (even if DL does give contract lounge access on D1 tickets, such as at HND).

Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by lucycan

Delta did in fact eliminate access to partner lounges for skyclub members.

In this case (IF you're connecting at AMS and not terminating there), you'd be accessing the lounge as a SkyTeam Elite Plus flyer, not as a SkyClub member. This method comes with one guest.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
[LEFT]
Yes, but you have no privileges from DL at CONTRACT lounges, places where DL would pay the airport or a lounge operator for access or pay some nonpartner airline (such as QF at HKG, RIP) for access. This was the change.

No, that has been the case for some time. Sky club member access to partner lounges changed this year.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Delta did in fact eliminate access to partner lounges for skyclub members.

In this case (IF you're connecting at AMS and not terminating there), you'd be accessing the lounge as a SkyTeam Elite Plus flyer, not as a SkyClub member. This method comes with one guest.
The SC member privileges were only valid at a specific list of partner and other lounges, not all partner lounges. Now it seems to be SCs only and only when flying DL or a partner, so a SC membership apparently doesn't give lounge access beyond what is derived from the right AmEx card with few exceptions.
lucycan likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
No, that has been the case for some time. Sky club member access to partner lounges changed this year.
I thought the major change this year was requiring a same day DL or partner flight to use a lounge as a SC member.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:42 pm

The SC member privileges were only valid at a specific list of partner and other lounges, not all partner lounges
True, I guess I could have added a bunch of words to my post to make that distinction, but the essential fact is that it's currently valid at zero partner lounges. Whether it was valid in the past at some or all isn't really relevant.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought the major change this year was requiring a same day DL or partner flight to use a lounge as a SC member.
There were two major changes this year. The one mentioned above and the elimination of access to partner lounges by SC members on purely domestic itin's. For example, the KL and AF lounges at IAH and the AF lounge at IAD. An SC member used to have access to those even on domestic itins.
MSPeconomist and BenA like this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:46 pm

that also changed
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
There were two major changes this year. The one mentioned above and the elimination of access to partner lounges by SC members on purely domestic itin's. For example, the KL and AF lounges at IAH and the AF lounge at IAD. An SC member used to have access to those even on domestic itins.
It's not just domestic itineraries. If you're a skyclub member and not STE+ you still can't access the AF lounge at AMS (you also can't use your executive membership for guesting purposes, you're stuck with the STE+ 1 guest policy).
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: Delta
If you're a DM traveling on a SkyTeam same day international itinerary, you and ONE guest are entitled to access any SkyTeam airline operated lounge, but you cannot use it as an arrivals lounge.
This is what I was told a couple of months ago when I asked one of the agents at the entrance to lounge 52. They said an extra guest was 69 Euros I think. Way more than the entrance is worth (IMO) anyway given how crowded it was.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by gerardfarrell
This is what I was told a couple of months ago when I asked one of the agents at the entrance to lounge 52. They said an extra guest was 69 Euros I think. Way more than the entrance is worth (IMO) anyway given how crowded it was.
That price seems designed to discourage any sales.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by gerardfarrell
What status were you using? If you're just a no-status J passenger, you're not entitled to any guests. If you have skyteam elite plus status, you need to write to whatever airline you have that status from and let them know you were denied a guest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.