Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta One A330 vs Air France 777 Biz Help!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta One A330 vs Air France 777 Biz Help!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by manacit
I'd pick whichever one you feel gives you a lower overall cost in your mind.
This is key. It's not like one product is heads and shoulders above the other - luckily, both are pretty great.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
This is key. It's not like one product is heads and shoulders above the other - luckily, both are pretty great.

Personally I think the A330 seats are showing their age. They are decent, but not great, IMO.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As you can probably tell from the responses, there are pros and cons of both. However, both the DL 330 and AF 777 (with 1-2-1 BEST seating) are good hard and soft products. For me, the catering is the main difference -- I find AF better on starters/deserts but the main courses can be rather dreadful. AF's second meal service on the westbound (though OP seems to only be flying eastbound) is a joke. But on the redeye, catering may not be all that important.

In terms of the $ taxes/fees, you're only getting around 1c/mile of value for spending the extra 38k to fly DL vs. spending the $400 on AF, which is toward the lower end of the value you should be able to get from miles (DL award redemptions are usually closer to 1.3c and sometimes higher), so from that perspective, I'd go with AF.

But again, both are pretty good and you'll mostly want to sleep. Newer AF seat has more "bling" but as a bed, you probably won't notice much different. I think both have reasonably-sized footwells.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Personally I think the A330 seats are showing their age. They are decent, but not great, IMO.
Not even close to great.
My last A330 flight from BCN was pretty bad service, meal wise and no entertainment.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Gig103
I'd take the Delta A330. It's a comfortable seat, more private than other cabins, aisle access, and I like Delta food offerings - with pre-selection available online too so they don't run out. 38k points is potentially worth closer to $500 than $400, but since you're also getting an A330 I'd spend it.
The OP was transferring AMEX points to either Delta or Air France, so they are quite valuable, unlike Sky Pesos. 38k AMEX points are worth ~$800 (value is around 2.1 cents per point). So the Delta option represents a significantly worse value for points.

Take the Air France flight. The hard and soft product experience is pretty close, slight edge to AF for their seats maybe.

Also with AF, you can have a nice dinner in the lounge (same one that is served onboard, generally) and then sleep the entire flight - not available with Delta.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I like the DL A330, but it's not suites and the seats are angled away from the window, so you need to turn/twist to look out the window.

For AF be sure to check the aircraft type and seating configuration very carefully. The new 1-2-1 seats are good, a 2-2-2 configuration might be OK for a couple assuming that they're genuine flat beds, but 2-3-2 or slanty "flat" beds are disgraceful for longhaul business class.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I like the DL A330, but it's not suites and the seats are angled away from the window, so you need to turn/twist to look out the window.

For AF be sure to check the aircraft type and seating configuration very carefully. The new 1-2-1 seats are good, a 2-2-2 configuration might be OK for a couple assuming that they're genuine flat beds, but 2-3-2 or slanty "flat" beds are disgraceful for longhaul business class.
Agree, here. I'll take AF's 1-2-1 as choice number one.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:52 am
Original Poster

This has been very helpful and valuable as I'm fairly new to the whole points game as to valuations, etc. I think based on what most have said, it's not really worth the extra points to burn on the DL flight. I'll also get 5X Amex points back for the $400 in fee's I'll be paying, so there's that too.

As far as I can tell, it is the 1-2-1 configuration, so fingers crossed on that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.