Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta One A330 vs Air France 777 Biz Help!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Hi all, first post as I could use some advice!

I'm between booking Delta One A330 JFK to CDG for 160k total points (2 people) or AF 777 Biz for 115k total points plus $420 taxes. My conundrum is that I would have to transfer Amex points for both, so is it worth an additional 38k Amex points for Delta One but saving around $400?? Or is AF a better product worth saving the 38k points but paying $400 out of pocket?

I've flown Delta One trans-atlantic before and was very happy with it, but have no experience with AF.

Thanks for all of your help!!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Honestly there's not a huge difference. Personally, I would want to spend less miles because you could *potentially* do better than 38K miles = $400.

The in-flight experience will not be significantly different.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: DL DM
Personally I'd go for AF over DL but it is personal preference. I find the food a lot better on AF and the seats are newer on the 777 out of JFK. I'll caveat that I know plenty of folks that prefer DL.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:41 am

I actually prefer DL over AF in business. AF was great and the food was delicious but the service was a lot more formal (I understand why). I just prefer the more laid back american style.

DL has a much better selection of entertainment. WiFi is not available on the majority of AF 777s.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Will you be connecting to this flighte originating at JFK? I ask because AF departs T1, which will mean exiting security and walking from T4/2 and reclearing. Not the worst thing, but something to consider.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Will you be connecting to this flighte originating at JFK? I ask because AF departs T1, which will mean exiting security and walking from T4/2 and reclearing. Not the worst thing, but something to consider.
No, I'd be direct from JFK to CDG.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by M2578Z
I actually prefer DL over AF in business. AF was great and the food was delicious but the service was a lot more formal (I understand why). I just prefer the more laid back american style.

DL has a much better selection of entertainment. WiFi is not available on the majority of AF 777s.
It's funny, this is the exact reason I prefer AF! So, to the OP, no real bad choices here as many have noted. My last AF 777 flight to JFK did have WiFi and it was quite fast.

Just be sure to avoid the A380 in J. It is not worth it at all.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NHFL9
It's funny, this is the exact reason I prefer AF! So, to the OP, no real bad choices here as many have noted. My last AF 777 flight to JFK did have WiFi and it was quite fast.

Just be sure to avoid the A380 in J. It is not worth it at all.
Ha, so I've heard. At first, the 380 appealed to me, but then I saw they weren't fully lie-flat among other issues, and that was tossed!

I think I'll just flip a coin to determine if I want to spend an extra $400 or an extra 38k MR points! If I go Delta, I'd also be losing the 18k Bonvoy points I already transferred, though they're seemingly worthless upcoming anyway!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:14 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I prefer AF in that the food, beverage and mid flight snacks to be way better. Thought the $400 is a bit steep and generally believe points are worthless until used, so I’d burn the points
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I prefer AF's hard product over DL's hard product, and DL service and meals onboard vs AF's.

AF, on the other hand, offers pre-flight dining at the JFK lounge. This could work on your advantage if you 1) You want to maximize your sleep time or 2) You want to try different menu options (ie. One option in the ground and a different option during flight).
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
My suggestions to the OP:

*Do you have other miles in your credit card account, such that if you used less for AirFrance, you could use the leftover for other redemptions? If so, is the AirFrance flights are 57,500 miles each (115K total for two) then the nearly 40K you save is almost another one way ticket. That is probably worth more than $400 to most.

*The experience will be pretty similar. JFK-CDG and JFK-LHR are two routes where Delta serves their most premium wines of any DeltaOne route. AirFrance always has great wines (in J).

*Both airlines have generally great crews. However, when I have had sub-par (relative to others' at Delta) Delta crew, it has been mostly out of JFK. I am not hating on JFK, just saying anecdotally, but that is usually for domestic Delta One and rarely for international.

AirFrance generally has crew that you can depend to always treat and serve you very well when in J. I have never had a disappointing experience in AirFrance J. They are always very polite, always very accommodating etc in J - in W or Y, definitely not - and the 777 is their BEST product.

So I think you first decide the relative value of the additional points (Delta) versus the additional fees (AirFrance). Then, let the service factor push one or the other over. The seats are very similar. I always enjoy trying new carriers, so if you haven't done AirFrance in J, go for it!
manacit likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nevermind, I now see OP is talking about one-way awards.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'd take the Delta A330. It's a comfortable seat, more private than other cabins, aisle access, and I like Delta food offerings - with pre-selection available online too so they don't run out. 38k points is potentially worth closer to $500 than $400, but since you're also getting an A330 I'd spend it.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:04 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
I prefer AF because the foot wells seem to be a little bigger. As a side sleeper with big feet this makes a difference to me. (Make sure it’s the fully flat 1-2-1 arrangement and not the angle flat 2-3-2 arrangement.)
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
In my opinion, this is more about the money/points than it is the product. Having flown AF's 777 and DL's 330 on this route, I'd probably say the 777 edges it out in my mind, perhaps if only because I've flown it less and so it feels more fresh. I'd pick whichever one you feel gives you a lower overall cost in your mind.
btonkid12345 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.