Basic Economy Question

Old Aug 12, 19, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Basic Economy Question

Obviously BE tickets are nonrefundable and nonchangeable. Does the latter feature mean that I can't apply any portion of the value of a BE ticket to a DL ticket on a later date? Years ago, I did this with nonrefundable tickets on UA and US. I suspect I can't do this with a BE ticket but I wanted some confirmation.

Apologies in advance if this has been covered on other threads. I did a search but found nothing on point. Thx.
Old Aug 12, 19, 5:05 pm

BE tickets are use them or lose them. However, never ever cancel it if you cannot use it. There is always a chance of a cancellation, significant delay, schedule change, change of operating carrier or IROPS in which case you can request a full refund.
MarcDavidMiller likes this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 7:52 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Yes, nonchangable, means you can't change it
Old Aug 12, 19, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Yes, nonchangable, means you can't change it
No. Most tickets are nonchangeable, however by paying a fee can be used as value for new ticket. Look at your receipt next time it'll say NONEND/NONCHG.

OTOH, BE tickets are also NONCHG, but there's nothing in fare rule allowing change by paying a fee.

Last edited by flyerCO; Aug 13, 19 at 8:01 am
Old Aug 13, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
No. Most tickets are nonchangeable, however by paying a fee can be changed. Look at your receipt next time it'll say NONEND/NONCHG.

OTOH, BE tickets are also NONCHG, but there's nothing in fare rule allowing change by paying a fee.
Huh? Tickets with a change fee are absolutely "changeable" - they simple have a fee for doing so.

Restricted Economy tickets (at least typical domestic ones) on DL carry the endorsement "NONREF/PENALTY APPLIES"
Often1, indufan and CPMaverick like this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by findark View Post
Huh? Tickets with a change fee are absolutely "changeable" - they simple have a fee for doing so.

Restricted Economy tickets (at least typical domestic ones) on DL carry the endorsement "NONREF/PENALTY APPLIES"
You didn't read by whole post. When it comes to plane tickets most are NONCHG. Being non-changeable has nothing to do with being able to use the value towards a new ticket. BE have a restriction that the value cant be used for a new ticket.

It's just like being refundable doesnt mean you can get the whole amount back. You could have a 50% penalty.
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The terms of BE are very clear. They are flown as ticketed or lose their entire value unless there is an involuntary change/cancellation.

That is exactly what sets them apart from a standard penalty fare which is non-refundable, but which may be changed for a fee or cancelled with a residual credit.
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The terms of BE are very clear. They are flown as ticketed or lose their entire value unless there is an involuntary change/cancellation.

That is exactly what sets them apart from a standard penalty fare which is non-refundable, but which may be changed for a fee or cancelled with a residual credit.
However in terms of airline/ticketing language they're both considered a non changeable ticket. Being able to use the value towards a new ticket is what a BE ticket doesnt allow.
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
However in terms of airline/ticketing language they're both considered a non changeable ticket. Being able to use the value towards a new ticket is what a BE ticket doesnt allow.
I have successfully changed a BE ticket to a main cabin and routing change outside the 24 hour window. I would not count on it but it doesnt hurt to ask. You may find the right person in the right mood, but also be aware that the person on the other end still needs to get a manager involved to do so, so they could also be overridden by that manager. At least this was my experience. I also had 5 other trips booked, GM, and was switching from a round trip to a multi city. By the time they changed it for me(cancelled and credited the BE and applied that to my multicity) it was about an hour on the phone and $50 fare difference.
Old Aug 13, 19, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the quick and helpful replies.
Old Aug 13, 19, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sevastras View Post
I have successfully changed a BE ticket to a main cabin and routing change outside the 24 hour window. I would not count on it but it doesnt hurt to ask. You may find the right person in the right mood, but also be aware that the person on the other end still needs to get a manager involved to do so, so they could also be overridden by that manager. At least this was my experience. I also had 5 other trips booked, GM, and was switching from a round trip to a multi city. By the time they changed it for me(cancelled and credited the BE and applied that to my multicity) it was about an hour on the phone and $50 fare difference.
Of course exceptions can be granted. Just like DL can issue a refund on a nonrefundable ticket.