Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

At what age can delta seat a child by them selves?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

At what age can delta seat a child by them selves?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by kop84
Works great until the family books last minute and there are no two seats together, or there are a dozen families with small children and now you're forcing people to move again.
but those last-minute bookers are already having this problem, even if they buy full fare Y. They're no worse off with this policy while a lot of these families are better off.

As for the "dozen families" scenario, how does that lead to people being forced to move? The whole idea is they get the seating assignments early.

My solution to this would be to not assign ANY seats until the gate. The load on GAs would be minimal since an algorithm can take care of 99% of assignments. This would solve a bunch of other problems as well.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No way! Next would be no assigned seats, WN style?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No way! Next would be no assigned seats, WN style?
I don't see how that's "next" at all. There's no slippery slope here.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
but those last-minute bookers are already having this problem, even if they buy full fare Y. They're no worse off with this policy while a lot of these families are better off.

As for the "dozen families" scenario, how does that lead to people being forced to move? The whole idea is they get the seating assignments early.

My solution to this would be to not assign ANY seats until the gate. The load on GAs would be minimal since an algorithm can take care of 99% of assignments. This would solve a bunch of other problems as well.
Oh wow, you want to throw the (forgive the pun) baby out with the bathwater. Virtually everyone who flies Delta wants a pre-assigned seat...upsetting 99% of Delta's passengers so in the rare scenario of parents not being able to easily sit next to their children hardly seems like a win-win scenario.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

Right, and I would guess that most families traveling with young kids are booking vacations in advance. If those families are given assigned seats at the time of booking, and if the last few rows of coach are held for the gate to give out, this would solve most of the problems.

And yes, even if with pre-assigned seats, there will be IRROPS or rarely a lot of families will book last minute on the same flight. And that means that sometimes an adult is going to need to move to accommodate others with specific needs (and yes, a 4-year-old sitting with a parent is a need) and they're going to have to be, gasp, an *adult* about it.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:26 pm

Many years ago, I flew as a 9 year old by myself. When there was a weather delay, a hotel was provided, which I stay at by myself! I am surprised that they allowed a kid to check into a hotel. I did tag along with another passenger, checking in at the same time but to a different room . Maybe they thought we were together. However, I declined an offer to share the same room because, while I didn't know about rape, I knew some bad people did bad things to kids.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by kop84
Oh wow, you want to throw the (forgive the pun) baby out with the bathwater. Virtually everyone who flies Delta wants a pre-assigned seat...upsetting 99% of Delta's passengers so in the rare scenario of parents not being able to easily sit next to their children hardly seems like a win-win scenario.
I mean, southwest does pretty good.

People don't actually care about when their seats are assigned. What they care about is picking a seat and then later having someone take it away from them.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:31 pm

what people care about is fairness. They don't mind that they don't get seat assignments on southwest because they understand the rules. Picking a seat and having it taken away is almost universally seen as unfair.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
People don't actually care about when their seats are assigned. What they care about is picking a seat and then later having someone take it away from them.
What many people care about is picking their own seats. Giving the power to the GA takes away the ability from the passenger to select their own seats. A middle seat isn't "better" because I picked it in advance versus being assigned at the gate. Additionally, that's going to create quite a burden on a GA prior to departure - assigning up to 300 seats on a given flight.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:33 pm

and FWIW, I don't think Delta is actually likely to implement such a system any time soon, just that if they did a lot of problems would be eliminated
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by A318neo
Many years ago, I flew as a 9 year old by myself. When there was a weather delay, a hotel was provided, which I stay at by myself! I am surprised that they allowed a kid to check into a hotel. I did tag along with another passenger, checking in at the same time but to a different room . Maybe they thought we were together. However, I declined an offer to share the same room because, while I didn't know about rape, I knew some bad people did bad things to kids.

A 9 year old can still fly alone, though they have to be registered as an unaccompanied minor. In this case, the airline assumes liability for the minors well being and provides a certain level of child care (for a fee). Generally, they are seated near the front or near a galley to be close to FA's and UMs are now allowed on flights that have a likelihood of causing them to overnight someplace, and if this does end up happening, the airline make sure that minors are placed in a hotel with airline staff supervision.

Clearly, when the airline is liable, they understand that leaving kids alone is not a good idea.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
What many people care about is picking their own seats. Giving the power to the GA takes away the ability from the passenger to select their own seats.
This isn't "giving power to the GA" - it just changes when the seats are selected.

You don't have full autonomy to pick your seats NOW, because other people pick seats before you. This would just change the order in which seats are selected, and the selection wouldn't happen until the gate takes control (at which point, your seat is assigned according to the preferences you pick and your position in the pecking order)

Additionally, that's going to create quite a burden on a GA prior to departure - assigning up to 300 seats on a given flight.
As I said originally, 99% or more of seats would be auto-assigned by algorithm.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Too cheap to pay for seats together? With BE typically around $35 OW ($70 RT), thats add up to $140 OW ($280 RT) for a family of 4 which isn’t just some pocket change for some families. Look I get it that no one should have to be involuntarily move seats to accommodate families but DL is kind of putting this on themselves as well. Most of the current BE fares are priced the same as regular Main Cabin fares were before BE came into existence. Also don’t forget that BE was originally marked to be used to compete with the rise of the ULCC which is totally not what it’s being used for by DL today.
This sort of comment mystifies me. Do you expect or assume that airfares must not/can not ever increase over time? You know, like everything ELSE?
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:19 pm

This isn't "giving power to the GA" - it just changes when the seats are selected.

You don't have full autonomy to pick your seats NOW, because other people pick seats before you. This would just change the order in which seats are selected, and the selection wouldn't happen until the gate takes control (at which point, your seat is assigned according to the preferences you pick and your position in the pecking order)

As I said originally, 99% or more of seats would be auto-assigned by algorithm.
I guarantee you that just creates chaos for the gate agent. People traveling traveling together on separate itineraries, people not liking where they got a seat even though they purchased months ago, or spent a lot of money, or whatever...even if it's not true. People want to know the have seat 27C, not basically gambling and hoping your number turns up right when you're already at the airport.

That might work on a WN where it's pretty much one plane type. But having so many different plane types is going to make it highly problematic, far more than just aisle/window preference, aisles across, aisle/window with the middle empty, some planes row 11 on the left side is better than the right side, etc.

And that's assuming that every parent is on the same record with their children. Many parents aren't on the same record as they are traveling for work, or bought skymiles tickets for the kids, and many of them don't even have the same last name as their kids between single parents, step parents, foster parents, grandparents, aunts or uncles etc. And assuming that everyone will make sure that the system knows that they are traveling together is laughable.

And again with IROPS what happens when a families flight is cancelled, and they are moved to a flight where the seats are already assigned and there aren't two together.

There is no perfect system, there is no system that can guarantee sitting with your kids, even WN and no seat assignments can't guarantee that if people are running late due to traffic or a late connection .

Considering Delta has roughly 5000 flights per day, 1.8M flights per year and we hear this about a small handful each year, it's not some major systemic problem that requires a radical solution.

Many people will make decisions on what flight to take at least partially by what seat can be assigned at time of purchase.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:42 pm

The key to Basic Economy is whether the child is mature enough to sit by himself or herself. One possibility if for the kid to sit in a middle seat in front of Mommy or Daddy. That way, they can occasionally consult. However, if they want frequent contact, then it's good to forsake basic economy for a few years.

If one buys basic economy, it's very likely that you'll get a middle seat. It's not fair to try to switch seats with someone who has an aisle or window. If one somehow gets a window or aisle and has a basic economy fare, that is an opportunity to switch seats. For example, if one has 30A and 25B, then ask 30B if they want 25B, which they will often agree to. If one has 30B and 25B, it is not fair to expect that 30C will want a middle seat.
MSPeconomist and FLTripper like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.