Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Atlanta Journal Constitution: DOT disallows Delta ban on pit bulls as service animals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Atlanta Journal Constitution: DOT disallows Delta ban on pit bulls as service animals

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
I love that the photo you selected has the watermark of the biggest highway billboard personal injury shop on it. Certainly not hand picked for shock value.

The photo I selected was in the AJC article I cited which focused on the Delta Airlines victim that was attacked by a pitt bull.

That you point out the case is being handled by the largest personal injury firm in Atlanta makes me feel better!

There wasn't any hand-picking or cherry-picking the photo.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
I like how different government agencies just administer their own agency's policy. No coordination between agencies.

One government agency: "Your 6 ounce bottle of spring water is a serious threat to civil aviation and is not allowed in the passenger cabin."

Another government agency: "You want to carry on an 80 pound pit bull? No Problem, nothing dangerous about that, have a nice flight."
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by apodo77
Breed needs to be eradicated.
Flame away.

Also how many pit bulls are actual fully trained service animals? Has to be a small list.
There are pit bulled trained as police dogs, pit bulls trianed to detect low blood sugar in diabetics, etc.
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Service Animal, ESA, or whatever- They (a pit breed) should be bonded/insured and the owner should have to sign an unlimited liability waiver before their BP is scanned.

I know this sucks for legitimate service animals, but there had to be some form of deterrent that dissuades people from bringing a known vicious breed on board an aircraft with 100+ passengers.

Agree on breeding pits out of existence- They are nothing but trouble and a huge liability concern. There is nothing a pit is capable of being/doing for their owner that a more docile breed cannot do at far less risk. Flame away indeed...
There is nothing that a pit bull does that any other do couldn't do as far as maiming or killing someone.

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I'd love to see any actual evidence people have about the "pit bull breed" (which isn't even a thing) being inherently more dangerous. As far as I can see it's just a bunch of handwringing and confirmation bias.
It is.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC you can only ask if the animal has been trained to perform a specific task, not what the task is.....and you certainly cannot ask for medical information about the human (unless of course fitness to fly or to fly without an accompanying attendant is a potential issue, but that has nothing to do with the service animal or ESA).
You can absolutely ask the task it has been trained to perform.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kipper

There is nothing that a pit bull does that any other do couldn't do as far as maiming or killing someone.
My one day working for the US Census in 2000 ended when I got attacked by a Pomeranian. It tried really hard, but couldn't manage to break the skin on my leg through my pants, much less venture into the maiming or killing realm. (Still it was enough that I decided the $9 or so an hour wasn't worth keeping the job)
defrosted likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Rbt001
The photo I selected was in the AJC article I cited which focused on the Delta Airlines victim that was attacked by a pitt bull.

That you point out the case is being handled by the largest personal injury firm in Atlanta makes me feel better!

There wasn't any hand-picking or cherry-picking the photo.
That law firm is not based in Atlanta. They are in Birmingham and are a volume-based litigation shop that makes tons of money by filing suit and then settling all kinds of minor cases, from which of course they get their cut.

I get that you just grabbed the AJC image, but I'm pretty sure the lawyers cherry picked the photos they supplied to the AJC for shock value.

Which makes sense, because this case is excellent marketing material for them and very few people will actually pay attention long enough to see the outcome of all legal proceedings.

Also feel free to address my other points about other breeds being equally capable of causing injury when not trained or treated properly.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by beachmouse
My one day working for the US Census in 2000 ended when I got attacked by a Pomeranian. It tried really hard, but couldn't manage to break the skin on my leg through my pants, much less venture into the maiming or killing realm. (Still it was enough that I decided the $9 or so an hour wasn't worth keeping the job)
My father was attacked by a cocker spaniel and required stitches. I was attacked by a rabbit (yes, a cute, fuzzy little bunny) and required medical treatment.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
oh so you have the statistics? Let's see em.
Why? You would just deny their voracity as just part of some alleged conspiracy. My condolences.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:47 am

right, so you don't have any statistics, just a story you heard once. OK, thanks.
flyerCO and gooselee like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
right, so you don't have any statistics, just a story you heard once. OK, thanks.
Let's be honest, you really didn't think they had any did you.

I mean logic and unadulterated data on the internet? Not happening.
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Oh FT, how do I love thee...
ConnieDee likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K, AA CK
All dogs being transported in the passenger compartment of an airplane, without regard to their stated purpose, shall be muzzled at all times,
Problem sorted.
BenA, MSPeconomist and Tine Rod like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:28 am

many service animals need to be able to grasp things, and they aint got no thumbs.
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by pgrin
All dogs being transported in the passenger compartment of an airplane, without regard to their stated purpose, shall be muzzled at all times,
Problem sorted.
Some service animals are trained to bark to alert other people of a medical emergency. Muzzling would prevent that service.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
I always thought the ban on snub nosed breeds (i.e. pitbulls) was due to the respiratory issues caused by their differently-shaped facial bone structure that is compounded by the pressurization of an aircraft cabin. Complications breathing can be dangerous to these dogs. Until I see any statistics (not anecdotes) that say these breeds are more/less/the same amount likely to attack a human unprovoked, I think we're having the wrong discussion.

Some light reading:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bulld...isks_n_1003495
https://www.politifact.com/georgia/s...ve-other-dogs/
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2e5w4h
ConnieDee likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kipper
My father was attacked by a cocker spaniel and required stitches. I was attacked by a rabbit (yes, a cute, fuzzy little bunny) and required medical treatment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.